Chris Brown addresses Mike Williams issue in Fan Friday

Interesting that Orton didn't feel he could trust MW. I didn't trust Orton to be able to step up in the pocket and deliver the ball like a man rather than turning his back to the D like a wuss whenever he felt the pressure coming.

Mike Williams was a lazy malcontent. Shocker.

not a shocker I guess but the first time "the team" has addressed it (if you consider CB a team mouthpiece, I do). Other than Marrone saying at the end of the year that it was nothing MW did; hogan just rose up. But with Marrone gone I wasn't sure if we'd ever get the real story. Guess this is it. Still think there's more but again, no other team has signed him (yet).

not a shocker I guess but the first time "the team" has addressed it (if you consider CB a team mouthpiece, I do). Other than Marrone saying at the end of the year that it was nothing MW did; hogan just rose up. But with Marrone gone I wasn't sure if we'd ever get the real story. Guess this is it. Still think there's more but again, no other team has signed him (yet).

I wasn't trying to blast your story, I had just been a healthy skeptic of MW being the perfect teammate, and I got into a ton of arguments over it.

It is insteresting that they list Robert Woods as the number 3 behind Percy Harvin

I noticed that too though as mentioned in another thread I think #2-3 is kind of muddy with the different sets. Woods will get his targets. Sanjay all also mentioned in his interview yesterday that he loved woods in the intermediate stuff. Harvin is going to draw the coverage so Sammy can be targeted more. Edited by YoloinOhio

I noticed that too though as mentioned in another thread I think #2-3 is kind of muddy with the different sets. Woods will get his targets. Sanjay all also mentioned in his interview yesterday that he loved woods in the intermediate stuff. Harvin is going to draw the coverage so Sammy can be targeted more.

Woods does not strike me as the guy that will B word about his touches......he does complain when QBs lead him into big hits.

Maybe MW realized that Marrone and Hackett were schlubs +/- didn't like the move to bench EJ?

It is interesting he specified Kyle Orton and when he took over in week five as the point in which he became indifferent to putting in extra time. Williams was always a wild card, so, nothing would surprise me. However, like YoloinOhio, I think there is probably more to the story...

I noticed that too though as mentioned in another thread I think #2-3 is kind of muddy with the different sets. Woods will get his targets. Sanjay all also mentioned in his interview yesterday that he loved woods in the intermediate stuff. Harvin is going to draw the coverage so Sammy can be targeted more.

I have been dilly dallying at some lineup moves. Putting Woods and Sammy in the slot with Hogan, Goodwin or Harvin outside. Now with Clay it gets interesting.

I really am curious to what we have. I need to study Romans O. If it is like I understand we will be able to thrive on short yard passing to get YAC. A 3 yard dump to Woods can become a 11 yard pickup if we draw the LB's off their assignments like we should be able to do.

Teams will have no choice but to play us in nickel or dime and only the Jets have the d to accommodate that

As always, I appreciate Yolo's finding stuff and sharing it here. So thanks for the link.

This is old news though. We had discussions about MW when it was revealed that he wasn't onboard with Orton's insistence that the receivers come in at 5am to study film and put in the extra time on game plans, etc. He just rubbed Orton the wrong way from the get go. If your QB feels he can't rely on you, you are screwed as a WR. Simple as that.

GO BILLS!!!

As always, I appreciate Yolo's finding stuff and sharing it here. So thanks for the link.

This is old news though. We had discussions about MW when it was revealed that he wasn't onboard with Orton's insistence that the receivers come in at 5am to study film and put in the extra time on game plans, etc. He just rubbed Orton the wrong way from the get go. If your QB feels he can't rely on you, you are screwed as a WR. Simple as that.

GO BILLS!!!

Yea - but how a coach handles that can vary from bench the guy permanently, to telling them to suck it up and get the job done to coming down on the qb.

Mike Williams isn't good enough to be untouchable but I'm not sure orton earned the right to dictate personnel either.

Really, a shame all around it didn't work out- but they won't all work out I guess

The narrative, as some believed, was that Williams was in Marrone's doghaus and at some point, it was just personal. That never made sense to me. Why would a coach looking to build his resume through wins-losses keep the most talented guy of the two off the roster? What was in it for him? I'd think a coach who makes it to the top of the NFL, with a team struggling offensively, would absolutely put the best player on the field. this explanation makes sense, and would explain why a guy who went for 80 yards once might seem to be the guy at that moment, but maybe not be it so much for the other 59 minutes of the game.

then again, maybe given DM's desire to build a resume to have him actually move backward on the food chain four tsteps, maybe he did botch it all and Orton is a convenient scapegoat.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

The narrative, as some believed, was that Williams was in Marrone's doghaus and at some point, it was just personal. That never made sense to me. Why would a coach looking to build his resume through wins-losses keep the most talented guy of the two off the roster? What was in it for him? I'd think a coach who makes it to the top of the NFL, with a team struggling offensively, would absolutely put the best player on the field. this explanation makes sense, and would explain why a guy who went for 80 yards once might seem to be the guy at that moment, but maybe not be it so much for the other 59 minutes of the game.

you mean the same type of coach that likely let his ego drop him from head coach to OL coach in jax? Yea, I could never see said ego derail any of his decisions with regards to what's best for his career.

Interesting that Orton didn't feel he could trust MW. I didn't trust Orton to be able to step up in the pocket and deliver the ball like a man rather than turning his back to the D like a wuss whenever he felt the pressure coming.

Yeah, anyway....at least Orton was a pro and could spot a guy dogging it. Good for him--now we have a nice find in Hogan, because of ORton.

It is insteresting that they list Robert Woods as the number 3 behind Percy Harvin

Can't remember where I heard it, but I did hear that one of the determining factors for Harvin, in deciding where he would play this year, was that he wanted to be used as a "real wide-receiver" and not just a "gadget player". Perhaps this has something to do with his placement on the depth chart? Ultimately, I don't think it will make a huge difference.

This. Orton had absolutely no nad whatsoever, the ultimate untrustworthy teammate. Coming in at 5AM doesn't mean anything if you're a puss.

Don't believe it was the main factor but I don't know. It's possible.

Seems much more likely IMO that he was Marrone'd, and then told he wasn't going to play, and then decided why show up at 5am to watch extra film just to sit on the bench. Granted, that is unprofessional of Williams to some degree, too. But to me there is very little chance that Orton just blackballed the guy. He wasn't on the team four weeks when Williams stopped playing, and hadn't even started a game yet.

Not to mention how hard is it to trust a guy to jump up for a ball in the endzone. Even if this scenario is true, which I doubt, the coach has to come in and say, fine, patch this up guys, and Orton, we'll play Hogan ahead of him but we're putting Williams in in the redzone and throw him the damn ball. And Woods came out and said MW busted his ass in practice even on the scout team and was always helping.

Don't believe it was the main factor but I don't know. It's possible.

Seems much more likely IMO that he was Marrone'd, and then told he wasn't going to play, and then decided why show up at 5am to watch extra film just to sit on the bench. Granted, that is unprofessional of Williams to some degree, too. But to me there is very little chance that Orton just blackballed the guy. He wasn't on the team four weeks when Williams stopped playing, and hadn't even started a game yet.

Not to mention how hard is it to trust a guy to jump up for a ball in the endzone. Even if this scenario is true, which I doubt, the coach has to come in and say, fine, patch this up guys, and Orton, we'll play Hogan ahead of him but we're putting Williams in in the redzone and throw him the damn ball. And Woods came out and said MW busted his ass in practice even on the scout team and was always helping.

I'm sure MW was in Marrone's doghouse already, but Orton's friction with MW began almost from day one. Orton asked other receivers to run extra routes after practice and go over film to help him get up to speed with their timing, playbook, etc. MW was the only receiver that didn't buy in to what Orton was asking of them.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm sure MW was in Marrone's doghouse already, but Orton's friction with MW began almost from day one. Orton asked other receivers to run extra routes after practice and go over film to help him get up to speed with their timing, playbook, etc. MW was the only receiver that didn't buy in to what Orton was asking of them.

GO BILLS!!!

That could be true. I believe you. Even if true, it's incumbent upon a coach with the worst redzone in the league to get one the best redzone players in the league the ball in the redzone. Bad attitude or not. Williams was not an angel, that's for sure. And I don't mind Orton being demanding. You also need to have confidence from your QB and it's incumbent on MW to do what it takes. A lot of blame to go around last year.

Now it's in the past, it's refreshing to hear our new WR coach glow about Percy Harvin's work ethic when he is supposed to be such a cancer, too.

I like how Brown states that even if Williams put in the work he wouldnt have been able to keep Hogan off the field. Whatever you say Chris.

GO BILLS!!!

I remeber this story as well but I remeber it saying that Williams wasnt asked by Orton to run the extra drills. I wonder which (if either) is true.

This doesn't make much sense to me. At best, Hogan was below average out there. I don't recall Orton and MW even being on the field together. It seems hard to believe that a QB comes in and immediately starts trashing the ability of the most experienced WR on the team. FYI, Mike Williams is on the list for most TD's from a WR/QB combo and that is with Josh Freeman, who is considered yesterday's trash. Nobody else on this team is even on that list. This was a case of egos clashing like they do in rock bands. Consider the Bills are either Guns n Roses or Pink Floyd and MW was Slash or Roger Waters. Completely pushed out of the game plan despite doing his job on the field. Now, he's working on a solo record, and it sucks.

The irony is that Orton dogged-it with the Cowboys, leading to his release, and then waited until training camp was over to sign with the Bills so he could avoid that. And then he turtles on the playing field.

Edited by Doc

That could be true. I believe you. Even if true, it's incumbent upon a coach with the worst redzone in the league to get one the best redzone players in the league the ball in the redzone. Bad attitude or not. Williams was not an angel, that's for sure. And I don't mind Orton being demanding. You also need to have confidence from your QB and it's incumbent on MW to do what it takes. A lot of blame to go around last year.

Now it's in the past, it's refreshing to hear our new WR coach glow about Percy Harvin's work ethic when he is supposed to be such a cancer, too.

these are some things i agree with. strongly

Based on how Dougie handled Hughes and his acting up, and that Mike Williams has been an FA for 4 months, I don't think he's still one of the best in the red zone.

The irony is that Orton dogged-it with the Cowboys, leading to his release, and then waited until training camp was over to sign with the Bills so he could avoid that. And then he turtles on the playing field.

I think he came in ready to rock and lost his motivation. strangely enough it also happened to Williams.

Maybe Mike saw though Marrone sooner than Orton did ?

Lal said he does not need a big receiver in his Interview with Murph.

But i wish Williams played and was targeted more last year

I think he came in ready to rock and lost his motivation. strangely enough it also happened to Williams.

Maybe Mike saw though Marrone sooner than Orton did ?

Lal said he does not need a big receiver in his Interview with Murph.

But i wish Williams played and was targeted more last year

i think Clay can be a big "WR" at 6'3 and Lal is right, Sammy can high point Edited by YoloinOhio

Sure Orton wanted to throw at 5am he leaves the bar at 4am has a little breakfast but is still loose between 5am -6am then disappears in private "film study" until 3pm - Orton vs Mike Williams is classic alcoholic vs pot head enmity.

Frazier Crane is that you ? Nailed it bro!

There isn't a lot of blame to go around as you state it. The person solely responsible for his being cut is the player who got cut. Williams was dispatched because of his self-centered attitude and less than impressive work ethic. Mike Williams was a fringe player with a diva attitude. MW was an unproductive player dropped behind a more productice player, Hogan, who even in the limited role that he played, worked harder and was more effective.

Tampa basically gave him away for peanuts. When he was cut by the Bills I don't recall any team being interested in him. As far as I know he hasn't signed with anyone else. If he did or does, he will be at best a fringe player assuming he is capable of making a roster.

Mike Willians is your typical punk player who perceives himself as being the next Jerry Rice when in reallity he would be lucky to make a CFL roster.

Can't remember where I heard it, but I did hear that one of the determining factors for Harvin, in deciding where he would play this year, was that he wanted to be used as a "real wide-receiver" and not just a "gadget player". Perhaps this has something to do with his placement on the depth chart? Ultimately, I don't think it will make a huge difference.

So why choose Buffalo?

the 9ers wanted him and weren't/aren't resigning Crabtree any time soon...

He would have automatically been their #1 receiving option.