Rivers in 2016?

Why wouldn't the Chargers want to unload Rivers this year and get something for him instead of waiting for Rivers to hit the free agent market next season and get zero in return? It makes more sense to me for the Chargers to unload him this weekend to a team like the Titans or perhaps, The Buffalo Bills and end up with a couple draft picks out of the deal.

am I crazy? :doh:

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't the Chargers want to unload Rivers this year and get something for him instead of waiting for Rivers to hit the free agent market next season and get zero in return? It makes more sense to me for the Chargers to unload him this weekend to a team like the Titans or perhaps, The Buffalo Bills and end up with a couple draft picks out of the deal.

If they did think it prudent to trade Rivers the Chargers would want to acquire his replacement in advance or as part of the trade. Also there isn't as big of a hurry as you might think. While the league has specifically stated that a player can't be tagged for the purpose of trading him, it still is technically legal and it still happens. As long as the Chargers continue to work to sign him long term they wouldn't get into any trouble. So they can kick the can down the road a year if they want.

If the Chargers do acquire a quality QB or quality QB prospect without trading away Rivers in the process, then sure. Why wouldn't the Bills go for it? But he's got to be available first.

He is their franchise and they can still use the tag so losing him after this season isnt a forgone conclusion but I do agree as Ive been saying all offseason that its time for them to move on as they are not close to really competing and would be wise to get what they can for him now. Their only real weapon on offense is Gates who is almost done but thats about it, they dont have any running game or any real wide receivers to speak of.

In saying that I have no idea why the Titans would want him as they are even further away from competing so it would be insane for them to give up the number 2 pick for a QB heading towards the end of his career.

The Bills are the obvious choice but dont think they have the amo to get it done.

Edited by Max997

I don't get why he doesn't want to play in L A. Very nice suburbs but traffic is rough.

Maybe if the Chargers throw in chauffeurs

If San Diego calls up willing to deal Rivers for Dareus, would you pull the trigger?

Yes, but would Rivers be willing to play the rest of his career in Buffalo

It's easier to draft a good DT then a franchise QB

Edited by ALF

Hate to say it, but aren't the Jets better equipped to acquire his services?

No. He doesn't want to play for the Chargers because he doesn't want to move his family to LA so why would he want to move to NYC? I think Tennessee would be his top choice so if the Chargers have any interest in Marriota then they better make the move now. Otherwise if they move to LA and he refuses to sign the Franchise tag then there could be a lot of drama next year

If San Diego calls up willing to deal Rivers for Dareus, would you pull the trigger?

Thats a tough choice as Dareus is the most important player on this team right now but i think the Bills would be crazy to say no.

What would Dareus do for SD though? If they trade Rivers it would be for picks not players as it would put them into rebuild mode and I dont know what an expensive DT does for a rebuilding team.

Edited by Max997

Max997

excellent avatar, one of my favorite movies, I'am a retired autoworker and veteran

Thanks...im just a grumpy dude in his early 40's who just wants people to stay off his lawn.

Alf was one of my favorite shows growing up...do I smell bacon? well i would like to

Add Rivers to this offense with Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy along with this defense and the Bills would be insane

Edited by Max997

Why wouldn't the Chargers just get something for Rivers now?

The answer may lie in the fact their coaching staff is on the final year of their contract and the GM may be on shaky ground as well. With the looming move to LA, it would be pretty easy for the Chargers to just cut ties with the GM & McCoy and start over new in LA with new management and coaches if they have an awful year this year. They are much more likely to have that awful year with a rookie QB. Basically the ownership would need to tell management "It's fine if we take a step back this year, your job is safe."

Also, the IN thing is dumb, maybe I'm missing something but it seems like little more than backseat modding and a lame attempt to up post counts.

Word from another board is that the Chargers and Titans were working on a deal and it fizzled and the Chargers called up Whaley. Nothing more on it than that at present.

I'm expecting this to happen. Everything done this offseason,new ownership, Rex,and a bevy of high priced proven free agents coupled with an extremely talented defense, makes a trade for Rivers seem automatic.

There's too much on the line to put the success of this season on the shoulders of an unproven EJ and a journeyman in Cassel.

But, I'll probably be disappointed. :)

He is a franchise QB. They can trade him this year or next year. All they have to do is franchise him then trade him. Chargers have all the power unless they really want Mariotta.