[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else imagine Rodak having the biggest smile on his face whenever he writes anything negative about the Bills?

So let me get this straight, Jared Cook gets $7M a year and Charles Clay $4M? That doesn't make sense to me.

I just got the alert on my cell right now. Crazy, I know. Totally boggles my mind why he would settle for simply 4m if indeed true.

Does anyone else imagine Rodak having the biggest smile on his face whenever he writes anything negative about the Bills?

Yes.

GordonGekko.png

"Gotcha again!"

I've seen this floating around on Twitter...pretty apropos

post-159-0-29231500-1424710062_thumb.jpg

Edited by eball

And although it's technically tampering it happens a lot at combine and wouldn't be shocked if bills talked to his agent already.

Teams find ways to skirt the rule as I understand it.

A lot of "we're definitely NOT talking about one of your clients, but what do you think a 6'3", 255-lb, 26 year-old TE would think of coming to Buffalo? Say, for around $5.5M/year? You know, hypothetically..."

I guarantee the leak from the bills yesterday to Carucci was perfectly timed.

Bills probably heard at combine Clay was close to signing for less than they are willing to pay and are beckoning the agent to wake up

that, or the bills "offer" is less than we expect and his current "ill just take the dolphins" was just as pointed to send the message of if you are interested, youll be paying.

Teams find ways to skirt the rule as I understand it.

A lot of "we're definitely NOT talking about one of your clients, but what do you think a 6'3", 255-lb, 26 year-old TE would think of coming to Buffalo? Say, for around $5.5M/year? You know, hypothetically..."

The word is Parker wrapped up Byrd to NO at the combine last year. It's just like a big agent convention.

that, or the bills "offer" is less than we expect and his current "ill just take the dolphins" was just as pointed to send the message of if you are interested, youll be paying.

yep

Fish beat reporter for Miami Herold

@AdamHBeasley: I've been told the market for Charles Clay starts at $6 million annually. He'll get that -- either here or somewhere else.

I'm guessing his agent leaked that dollar amount. And I wonder where he got it. Whaley?

Edited by YoloinOhio

If he gets to FA I don't think Miami will be able to re-sign him. If they can put together a great offer beforehand then I think they will but they are not in a good place cap wise.

This is probably one of the reasons he is being targeted.....as should one of the guards for the Saints

In Clay's case you both improve your team and you hurt a division rival.

Personally I would overpay a little bit for Clay.....he is a swiss army knife and a good OC like Roman would know how to get the most out of him.

So 2 reporters from the same paper are reporting almost contradictory things within hours of each other?

the first report was that Miami wants to re-sign him and expecting it to be 4m/yr. Guessing that leak came from the team, as a response to the report yesterday that the Bills were interested in Clay. Second report was that he wants 6m/yr., guessing that report came from the agent.

Fish beat reporter for Miami Herold

@AdamHBeasley: I've been told the market for Charles Clay starts at $6 million annually. He'll get that -- either here or somewhere else.

I'm guessing his agent leaked that dollar amount. And I wonder where he got it. Whaley?

could be just the agent spreading that on his own trying to set the market...ill be shocked if Clay gets 6 mil a year but if he does hope its not from bills

My only concern at $6 million a year is his health. One complete season out of his first 4 isn't very good. If he can't stay healthy and on the field, he's not going to be any good to the team and they'll have to live with Smith, Gragg, and Gray anyway. At the end of the day, it comes down to how much Roman likes him and whether he feels like he can use him like he used Vernon Davis in San Francisco. That's kind of how I view Clay anyway. Poor man's Vernon Davis but on the right side of 30 years old.

could be just the agent spreading that on his own trying to set the market...ill be shocked if Clay gets 6 mil a year but if he does hope its not from bills

The problem is look at the market. Maercedes Lewis $6.8M, Jared Cook $7.02M, and Kyle Rudolph $7.3M. Clay is better than all of those guys and Dennis Pitta who I think is $6.8M. If he is getting less than $6M he should fire his agent.

The problem is look at the market. Maercedes Lewis $6.8M, Jared Cook $7.02M, and Kyle Rudolph $7.3M. Clay is better than all of those guys and Dennis Pitta who I think is $6.8M. If he is getting less than $6M he should fire his agent.

True Charles Clay could command in the range of 6 million but teams could look at those contracts and not want to give out big money to those mid level tight ends. Markets always go up and down due to performance of previous contracts. So it could be a sort of market correction. I wouldn't invest more than 4-5 million in Clay, his injury history is a huge concern.

True Charles Clay could command in the range of 6 million but teams could look at those contracts and not want to give out big money to those mid level tight ends. Markets always go up and down due to performance of previous contracts. So it could be a sort of market correction. I wouldn't invest more than 4-5 million in Clay, his injury history is a huge concern.

the problem is, what are you correcting down to? whats the efficient comp player at that level? 6-7m doesnt buy near what it once did. you see average guards and safeties getting it, 3rd wide receivers..... ive been on the fence with clay, as i admittedly havent watched him too closely so im stuck with relying on reputation and opinions of those i trust.... 4-5m is what delanie walker got to go to tennessee.... hed never had 30 catches in a season and only broke 20 like half the time in san fran. walker is playing well, but if his resume reflected his current production he wouldve seen more.

I'm interested to know examples of where the market has corrected downward, as I can't think of any. The problem, which occurs every year, is that we value guys based on existing contracts, but the reality is that the cap goes up each year, increasing values. $6 mil per year for Clay may sound like a lot compared to those other guys, but its what the market sets *this year* for a guy with those talents.

You rarely see markets go down (RBs a rare exception). The cap is rising which is 1 reason that they go up. The other main reason is comparable contracts. If I am Charles Clay's agent (or Cameron's or Julius') I am using those contracts to negotiate. "If Jared Cook is worth $7M and has done ___ than Charles Clay is worth ____ based on ____."

You rarely see markets go down (RBs a rare exception). The cap is rising which is 1 reason that they go up. The other main reason is comparable contracts. If I am Charles Clay's agent (or Cameron's or Julius') I am using those contracts to negotiate. "If Jared Cook is worth $7M and has done ___ than Charles Clay is worth ____ based on ____."

yea - you may see a guy or two as an outlier, but there are a few good comps in that range for him it seems. additionally, its not just this years rise but some big ones on the horizon

If $6 mill per is the number, I think Jordan Cameron can be had for close to that, and besides his injury history, is definitely worth more than Clay.

While I like both these players....I would not put Jordan Cameron significantly better then Clay

Everyone knows Cameron is good...but I think Clay is HIGHLY underrated

Clay would be worth a little bidding against the Dolphins.

Some one has to sell the Bills to him though. Brandon is often getting a tan in Florida, maybe they could share some illegal but tasty Sea Turtle soup and have Clay check out some Buffalo Wings.
the Dolphins should be easy to outbid