Small SUV/Crossover Suggestions

/dev/null

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new car. I've got a few things to fix on my late 90s beater sedan that will end up totaling almost as much as the car is worth, or more.

If I buy a new car, which I'm not 100% sure I will yet, it will probably be a small SUV. Something along the lines of a Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Tuscon, or Honda CR-V

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these or similar SUVs or suggestions what to look for or avoid.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a 2009 Edge. Has been a great, practical vehicle. Has all the nice features. Ford synch works great for hands free phone music. We have 90k on it and have not had it in the shop for anything except normal maintenence.

We compared the 2013 Ford Escape and the 2014 Honda CRV, lots of features on the Escape, but in the end the CRV won out with 5 years in a row as best small SUV . Picked it up with 2300 miles on it for a steep discount. Love it and love the mileage compared to my F 150, also great in snow.

Can't go wrong with a Honda. My wife has gotten Pilots the last two cars. Her first one only died because I killed it hitting an 8 point buck at highway speeds.

Her Hondas make my Chevys look like pieces of crap.

It's not a small suv/crossover, but...

I have a VW jetta sport wagon tdi. Great car! They're updating the platform for 2015 and calling it a golf sport wagon. My wife has a Ford Escape and my car has much more storage room than hers. If you can "buy in" to driving a station wagon (with stick and diesel in my case) you won't make a bad decision.

CR-Vs are great cars.

CR-V (and RAV4) drivers are invariably some of the most idiotic on the road.

So if you're a complete mouth-breathing tool behind the wheel, the CR-V's your car. Doubly so if you have one of those dumbass "COEXIST" bumper stickers yet block two lanes of traffic.

I love my chevy equinox. Went 2 wheel drive kinda base model. 2013 . Love my chevy truck. WT base model. 2013 . Only thing with the truck, wish I had got the extended cab. Miss power door locks.

I love my chevy equinox. Went 2 wheel drive kinda base model. 2013 . Love my chevy truck. WT base model. 2013 . Only thing with the truck, wish I had got the extended cab. Miss power door locks.

Maybe its just wisconsin, but my last two silverados have started rusting out within 5 years. My 2007 was breakdown city and had an inadvertent airbag deployment going about 55 mph... Not cool.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

(and RAV4) drivers are invariably some of the most idiotic on the road.

Well if you get out of my way there wouldn't be an issue!

I do like my 2012 RAV4, once the lease it up I may get another or go with a Highlander or Tacoma.

I loved my 2008 Rav4 (oh and DC Tom... :nana:) til it got totaled right before Christmas. I replaced it with a 2012 Equinox, which is very comfortable and has lots of bells and whistles. Only thing I really miss is my V6.

Two things

Stay away from VW Toureg. Wow, hated that car.

So many good cars now, will be hard to choose I think. Just look at this thread, almost everyone is very happy with their vehicle. Good on the automakers!

BTW , we have 2008 Hyandai Vera Cruz that we have truly enjoyed. 95k on it now, slated to be daughters car as she is just turning 16. I will say not the greatest in the snow, but we live in Richmond and have a snow storm every other year.