Small SUV/Crossover Suggestions

/dev/null

CRV is still near (probably at) the top of my consideration.

Granted I know that you have a fairly low opinion of me as well as anybody else who isn't you. So the mouth-breathing line I won't take too seriously.

As far as the COEXIST bumper sticker, considering how long as we've been on this site you should know that I would never put one of those on my car.

Would you accept substituting the COEXIST bumper sticker with a Molon Labe? Because I'm not telling you that you should COEXIST with me. I'm telling you that if you want my lane, come and take it...

Have you seen the Tolerance stickers they have now?

http://www.amazon.com/COEXIST-TOLERANCE-Stickers-WONDERFUL-MESSAGE/dp/B001U9BMD4

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test drove a CRV EX-AWD and a Tuscon GLS yesterday.

The Tuscon was meh. Felt underpowered. From what I read the SE has a stronger engine but the dealership didn't have any SE. Gonna try a different dealer and drive an SE before I write it off

I was impressed with the CRV. Dealer said about $26k for EX AWD or $25 for FWD. How far off was he from a reasonable price?

I've checked True Car and KBB but don't know how accurate or up to date those are. And I kind of think they're in league with the dealers where KBB/True gets your hopes up, then you go to the dealership and read the sticker, and then the salespeople try to squeeze it between like they're cutting a deal.

I went on NADA.com through my businesses access and got some numbers for you. MSRP on 2015 EX AWD is $27,675 and invoice is $26,037.80. MSRP on 2015 2WD EX is $26,425 and invoice is $24,867.67. Sounds like they are giving you close to invoice, but please remember that they typically also receive incentives from Honda as well. Some dealers are up front about the incentives and others are not (if you google Honda dealer incentives, you might be able to get some good information on what they are getting). Demand on the CRV's are quite high, so I am surprised that they are close to invoice. I am in upstate NY and dealers around here were closer to $1,000 over invoice.

You can also get good information from NADA on your trade in value. Stick with "clean wholesale" and do not budge from that number. What your trade-in looks like DOES make a difference so put it through the car wash and clean the interior.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions off the board.

Flutie, I know next to nothing on buying cars, but I do seem to think, and I stress think, that invoice as reported is not even close to what a dealer might pay. $ 1000 profit seems way, way, to low....I think dealer is closer to $5k gross profit on a $25k car. But again, that could be dead wrong and I am only taking a guess...no inside knowledge or anything.

I worked with dealers in indirect financing for many years. Invoice as reported by NADA is very accurate and is "technically" what a dealer pays. However, the incentives they receive from the car manufacturers are a big part of their pricing structure and will factor in to their profit margin and guides them in what they need to get on the sale of a vehicle. More incentives and they will typically come down closer to invoice, less incentives and they bump that number. As you can imagine, demand also plays a major role and dealers will not budge much from MSRP on vehicles with strong sales.

Dealer makes $$ on people not willing to do their homework, not to mention the after sale things like financing (they get a bump), warranties, and a major part is service after the sale. Margins on service work are through the roof. Many things factor into the sale and you are not far off when you say that the profit could be close to 5K or even more, especially when they get someone that pays MSRP, pays for extended warranties, pays for paint shield and interior shield crap and does the financing through the dealer at an APR that is several points higher than the market rate.

dev - check out the Nissan Rogue before you sign on the bottom line. Very similar to an Infinity QX 60 and my wife thought it handled better and was a little nicer inside.

Edited by Flutie Flakes

Test drove a CRV EX-AWD and a Tuscon GLS yesterday.

The Tuscon was meh. Felt underpowered. From what I read the SE has a stronger engine but the dealership didn't have any SE. Gonna try a different dealer and drive an SE before I write it off

I was impressed with the CRV. Dealer said about $26k for EX AWD or $25 for FWD. How far off was he from a reasonable price?

I've checked True Car and KBB but don't know how accurate or up to date those are. And I kind of think they're in league with the dealers where KBB/True gets your hopes up, then you go to the dealership and read the sticker, and then the salespeople try to squeeze it between like they're cutting a deal.

I trust kbb. It sounds like they are right around invoice, which is a good deal.

I think where they get you (or at least me) is on the trade-in.

By the way, that extra thousand for AWD is well worth it, IMO, if you live in an area where it snows.

Drove a Tuscon SE which is way better than the GLS model. Still prefer the Honda.

Also drove a Nissan Rogue and it was comparable to the Honda. I can get it for Invoice + destination. They didn't have a whole lot of stock, if I get one I want a red one so I can drive around like the kid in The Shining...Red Rogue! Red Rogue! :lol:

Drove a Tuscon SE which is way better than the GLS model. Still prefer the Honda.

Also drove a Nissan Rogue and it was comparable to the Honda. I can get it for Invoice + destination. They didn't have a whole lot of stock, if I get one I want a red one so I can drive around like the kid in The Shining...Red Rogue! Red Rogue! :lol:

You could also get a custom paint job like Rex got. It would look sharp on your new red Rogue!

You could also get a custom paint job like Rex got. It would look sharp on your new red Rogue!

A guy I know did up a red Equinox, but to a Blackhawks theme. Made the car look like a jersey... All he did was add the wide white band and the two black stripes (in the wide white band) that appear on the bottom of the jersey... To the bottom of the vehicle all the way around. Actually, it looks kinda nice and classy... There are no logos on the car. BUT, you would instantly recognize it as their home jersey!

Thanks for all your help. I'm going Rogue

My pleasure. Congrats on the purchase!

A guy I know did up a red Equinox, but to a Blackhawks theme. Made the car look like a jersey... All he did was add the wide white band and the two black stripes (in the wide white band) that appear on the bottom of the jersey... To the bottom of the vehicle all the way around. Actually, it looks kinda nice and classy... There are no logos on the car. BUT, you would instantly recognize it as their home jersey!

Sounds great....can you post up a pic?

My pleasure. Congrats on the purchase!

I don't see him too often, but he lives in town... If I get desparate, I will walk by his house and hopefully he has it parked outside. I should just get his email and ask him for a pic! I sure he has a ton! He seems really proud of it! LoL...

Hey Flutie Flakes... Here's the picture. We had a little bit (about 4") of snow on Monday. As I was bringing my daughter home from school (God forbid she walk in spring snow!) I caught my friend that has the red Chevy Equinox done as a 'Hawks home jersey. I stand corrected, the band is not all the way around and it seems he has since added a small logo to each side. Still, kinda unique and looks nice... Chevy red looks like the scarlett (that's the 'Hawks red like the Bills' red??) of the Blackhawks. I talked to him for a while as he was loading up his snowblower after clearing his elderly ex-neighbor's driveway. It seems his car made it on the news too a few years back... :lol:

Still kinda neat. He had a friend paint it up @ his dealership:

post-1877-0-39955600-1427339329_thumb.jpg

Hey Flutie Flakes... Here's the picture. We had a little bit (about 4") of snow on Monday. As I was bringing my daughter home from school (God forbid she walk in spring snow!) I caught my friend that has the red Chevy Equinox done as a 'Hawks home jersey. I stand corrected, the band is not all the way around and it seems he has since added a small logo to each side. Still, kinda unique and looks nice... Chevy red looks like the scarlett (that's the 'Hawks red like the Bills' red??) of the Blackhawks. I talked to him for a while as he was loading up his snowblower after clearing his elderly ex-neighbor's driveway. It seems his car made it on the news too a few years back... :lol:

Still kinda neat. He had a friend paint it up @ his dealership:

What a great paint job! Not over the top and I like how he incorporated the Blackhawks logo on the side. Very classy looking vehicle. Red is very close and something could be done similarly for a Bills vehicle. Thank you for posting this!

Thanks for all your help. I'm going Rogue

How are you liking the Rogue????

Edited by Flutie Flakes

They have gotten a lot bigger.

It's the natural progression of everything! Especially cars. Even Honda Civics. I just saw a first gen one (really), must have been like mid-1970's... That thing is smaller a Yugo on a diet! Remember when they use to put 13" wheels/tires on little cars, now they are getting less rubber and more rim! I guess handling is better than fuel economy?