Small SUV/Crossover Suggestions

/dev/null

Maybe its just wisconsin, but my last two silverados have started rusting out within 5 years. My 2007 was breakdown city and had an inadvertent airbag deployment going about 55 mph... Not cool.

that indeed sounds pretty not cool

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that indeed sounds pretty not cool

I am still amazed I did not kill myself or someone else.

I was driving home from work in a snow storm and my airbag light came on. About 30 seconds later *BOOM*. It was just side curtains, but it felt like I got karate chopped in the side of my neck by a large man, and sounded like someone discharged a twelve gauge over my left shoulder. I was so pissed off I could not see straight. I drove it with bags deployed, cabin lights on, hazards on (You could not shut them off) at a high rate of speed to the dealer. The only person there was the Body Shop manager closing up. He could instantly tell I was in no mood to be f'ed with and gave me a loaner without even taking my license or signing paperwork.

Long story short, I got an attorney, Chevy sent an investigator down from Detroit, I ended up trading out of that truck for a new one at a heavily discounted price.

The problem? The idiots put the airbag control module under the drivers side seat. Water (I am in Wisconsin, and it was the middle of winter) wicked up the carpet and shorted it out.

Shortly thereafter, Chevy issued a recall for it. Replacing the control module with a waterproof one.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

We have a 2011 Nissan Murano and a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder.. Both very comfortable and reliable. Both have 6 cylinder and average about 23 mpg. Been driving Nissan since 2003, when i switched from GM. Got tired of being on a first name basis with mr. Goodwrench!

Downsized to a 2012 CRV new a few years ago after 15+ years of full size SUVs. Took a little to get used to the loss of size/power (also had to get used to my first non-stick car in 30 years), but I like the car a lot.

Recently bought a 2005 CRV for my kid's first car - that thing impresses the hell out of me. Solid. 100k miles and feels like it could go another 100k easy.

And I don't consider myself and idiotic driver :rolleyes:

Edited by stevewin

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new car. I've got a few things to fix on my late 90s beater sedan that will end up totaling almost as much as the car is worth, or more.

If I buy a new car, which I'm not 100% sure I will yet, it will probably be a small SUV. Something along the lines of a Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Tuscon, or Honda CR-V

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these or similar SUVs or suggestions what to look for or avoid.

unless you know someone

#1) Don't buy brand new. You will lose $3,000 in value the second you sign the purchase contract.

Since I travel I've rented a few SUV's

Jeep (something) dash is too far forward and the ride very noisy

Chevy Equinox - nice ride but CHEAP plastic parts.

I tossed my luggage into the back (50#'s) and when the roller wheel hit I broke the plastic lid over the spare tire and tore a small home in the "carpet" (fuzzy cloth) material.

Dodges have small rear windows and block your rear view.

My wife just bought a Tucson last July. It's been great so far, drove prey god in the snow with snow tires, decent room for 4. At my last work place everyone had either a Tucson or Santa fe and they raved about them.

I have a jeep wrangler and love it, but they aren't for most people. They are louder, bumpier and thirstier for gas then most vehicle and are a acquired taste.

My $.02

If you want a relatively inexpensive 4x4, take a look at the Jeep Patriot. (Not the Compass.) It's probably the lowest priced 4x4 on the market today.

If you need AWD or 4x4, I think Jeep and VW make the best software.

My $.02

If you want a relatively inexpensive 4x4, take a look at the Jeep Patriot. (Not the Compass.) It's probably the lowest priced 4x4 on the market today.

If you need AWD or 4x4, I think Jeep and VW make the best software.

What? VW? What you smoking man? Subaru has to be on the list for top AWD anything. Fuji Heavy baby.

Jeep is no different than a Dodge these days. Which would put it on par with Chevy or Ford... 4WD is 4WD as long as it has a 4 low and 4 hi--it's good.

4WD is 4WD as long as it has a 4 low and 4 hi--it's good.

I don't know... Not really I think. Most systems I THINK now are limited slip. My Jeep TJ has OEM limited slip. It's the 2006 60th anniversary Golden Eagle... So it has the HD Dana 44 axle on the rear and lighter duty Dana 35 on as the front axle. The Rubicon came with both 44's as did the CJ's prior to 1987. The LD 35's came starting on the YJ's (square headlight Jeeps 1987-1994). Solid axle = poor fuel economy but better 4WD system especially with locking differentials The Rubicon is sweet because it has the electronic front and rear diffs... You can isolate each axle and make it go 1 to 1. Nice, built right in off the line... No aftermarket systems (manual locking hubs, air, cable, electronic, take your pick) to add. The post Ruby's even come with electronic front and rear sway bar disconnects (discos)... No crawling out and laying on the ground to disco the the front and rear sway links. Push a button right in th cab! But I am not sure /dev is into serious rock crawling. ??? ;-)

FWIW, I owned a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo that did NOT have limited slip. That thing was sweet... It powered through everything. Limited slip can be a hinderance @ times, IMO.

Just food for thought. There is just so much more to "just a 4WD high and low system." My $.02.

I don't know... Not really I think. Most systems I THINK now are limited slip. My Jeep TJ has OEM limited slip. It's the 2006 60th anniversary Golden Eagle... So it has the HD Dana 44 axle on the rear and lighter duty Dana 35 on as the front axle. The Rubicon came with both 44's as did the CJ's prior to 1987. The LD 35's came starting on the YJ's (square headlight Jeeps 1987-1994). Solid axle = poor fuel economy but better 4WD system especially with locking differentials The Rubicon is sweet because it has the electronic front and rear diffs... You can isolate each axle and make it go 1 to 1. Nice, built right in off the line... No aftermarket systems (manual locking hubs, air, cable, electronic, take your pick) to add. The post Ruby's even come with electronic front and rear sway bar disconnects (discos)... No crawling out and laying on the ground to disco the the front and rear sway links. Push a button right in th cab! But I am not sure /dev is into serious rock crawling. ??? ;-)

FWIW, I owned a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo that did NOT have limited slip. That thing was sweet... It powered through everything. Limited slip can be a hinderance @ times, IMO.

Just food for thought. There is just so much more to "just a 4WD high and low system." My $.02.

Pretty much just if you are into rock crawling. an LSD will outperform an open diff in the snow and or wet pavement all day. An LSD will allow you turn. I had an 82 Bronco with manual lockouts, that frisking thing was a b to turn.

Pretty much just if you are into rock crawling. an LSD will outperform an open diff in the snow and or wet pavement all day. An LSD will allow you turn. I had an 82 Bronco with manual lockouts, that frisking thing was a b to turn.

Yep... That's the on-road point to it. I got the Ford truck @ work stuck on the lawn turning the plow around with the limited slip... But you could manually lock the front hubs... Got me right out! Outside of rock crawling, that's where people tend to break axles?

Oh... And high profile NARROW tire for snow. You want them to get to the road and make contact. Big fat tire for sand. It always amazes me people think the big tires are better for snow... No way! They look cool, but are useless! Narrow and skinny for snow!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What? VW? What you smoking man? Subaru has to be on the list for top AWD anything. Fuji Heavy baby.

Jeep is no different than a Dodge these days. Which would put it on par with Chevy or Ford... 4WD is 4WD as long as it has a 4 low and 4 hi--it's good.

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. :D Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Subaru went to a VW "Haldex" design for their cars with CVTs. There is a reason why.

Subaru's primary design flaw besides obsolete tech pre-CVT is that their system required required a very heavy front to the car whereas Haldex on a vehicle with more evenly distributed weight, provides better traction and control going up and down terrain and slope. Subaru is hell bent on making a crazy fuel efficent car so they dropped a CVT and lighter engine in it and made the car overall, lighter. Their old AWD tech doesnt' work with that concept.

As for Jeeps....depends. Their older last decade vehicles used a 60/40 AWD system (when it detects a slip) with a driver optional 50/50 lock. I don't know about the new ones post Fiat ownership.

I've owned all three and drive in a lot of bad PA/NY/NJ weather. As far as AWD/4x4 is concerned, while the Jeep lacks a lot of refinement compared to VW and Subaru, it's the tank I want in bad weather. I think VW provides a good balance and found the Subaru underpowered and lacks required torque.

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. :D Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Subaru went to a VW "Haldex" design for their cars with CVTs. There is a reason why.

Subaru's primary design flaw besides obsolete tech pre-CVT is that their system required required a very heavy front to the car whereas Haldex on a vehicle with more evenly distributed weight, provides better traction and control going up and down terrain and slope. Subaru is hell bent on making a crazy fuel efficent car so they dropped a CVT and lighter engine in it and made the car overall, lighter. Their old AWD tech doesnt' work with that concept.

As for Jeeps....depends. Their older last decade vehicles used a 60/40 AWD system (when it detects a slip) with a driver optional 50/50 lock. I don't know about the new ones post Fiat ownership.

I've owned all three and drive in a lot of bad PA/NY/NJ weather. As far as AWD/4x4 is concerned, while the Jeep lacks a lot of refinement compared to VW and Subaru, it's the tank I want in bad weather. I think VW provides a good balance and found the Subaru underpowered and lacks required torque.

I am not sure why anyone would buy a Subaru with a CVT. Sure because it's available, but so is a manual. If I bought one it would be a manual. Subaru's are made for a manual transmission.

The discussion was about AWD/4WD -- And I would still choose the first commonly manufactured AWD car (Subaru --1972) over a VW.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a new car. I've got a few things to fix on my late 90s beater sedan that will end up totaling almost as much as the car is worth, or more.

If I buy a new car, which I'm not 100% sure I will yet, it will probably be a small SUV. Something along the lines of a Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Tuscon, or Honda CR-V

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these or similar SUVs or suggestions what to look for or avoid.

My wife just switched from a 2006 X5 to a 2015 CR-V. She's not thrilled with the change, but I think she's nuts. She got the 4-cyl. AWD and it drives nice. Gas mileage seems to be great (I haven't checked the numbers, yet, but I know she's hitting the pumps a lot less frequently). Standard push-button start (which I think is dumb and do not prefer over a regular key) and back up camera.

I would recommend it. It handles well. It's comfortable. Fuel-efficient. And they're a nice looking vehicle, too.

CR-V (and RAV4) drivers are invariably some of the most idiotic on the road.

So if you're a complete mouth-breathing tool behind the wheel, the CR-V's your car. Doubly so if you have one of those dumbass "COEXIST" bumper stickers yet block two lanes of traffic.

CRV is still near (probably at) the top of my consideration.

Granted I know that you have a fairly low opinion of me as well as anybody else who isn't you. So the mouth-breathing line I won't take too seriously.

As far as the COEXIST bumper sticker, considering how long as we've been on this site you should know that I would never put one of those on my car.

Would you accept substituting the COEXIST bumper sticker with a Molon Labe? Because I'm not telling you that you should COEXIST with me. I'm telling you that if you want my lane, come and take it...

My wife was planning to replace her 2007 Honda CRV with a new 2015. She just test drove a Nissan Rogue earlier today and loves it. Some more creature comforts and less back and forth on price. They advertised the Rogue for $250 over invoice and gave my wife full trade-in value on her car per NADA. Honda dealers would not budge below $1000 over invoice on CRV and low balled her on trade.

Also looked at Toyota RAV4 and Subaru. RAV4 was nice and the Subaru was also a great vehicle, but I hear that the Subaru's are very expensive to maintain and with the mileage my wife puts on a car, that was a major consideration.

Good luck with the car search!