QB Sam Bradford traded for QB Nick Foles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid move by Chip. If he's trying to get mariota, trading players and picks wont really help. MAYBE Bradford and a first can be traded for the #7. In which case this is a good move. Otherwise, he's not really accomplishing much by doing these lateral trades

Stupid move by Chip. If he's trying to get mariota, trading players and picks wont really help. MAYBE Bradford and a first can be traded for the #7. In which case this is a good move. Otherwise, he's not really accomplishing much by doing these lateral trades

well he never really liked Foles so its not totally unexpected he moved him. If he cant swing a deal for mariotta he'd rather end up with Bradford than foles Edited by JTSP

I think Bradford is trade bait for them to move up for Mariotta. All of their moves up to this point are in preparation for that

Absolutely. Bradford headed to the Jests.

Chip the GM is going to kill Chip the coach.

Wouldn't be the first.

What makes this trade especially strange to me is that Foles is younger and has far better career passing statistics than Bradford, yet Philly is giving up the extra picks. Doesn't seem to make too much sense for the Eagles.

I'd forgotten that same system in college. Also Chips OC was Bradford's OC when he was ROY, right?

Looks as though Chip decided he couldn't trade up to get Mariotta so trading for Bradford is sloppy seconds.

I said he had something in mind to do with all that cap space. Just Bradford will be $13 million this year, unless they plan to re-negotiate.

This folks. Do some deep thinking here. Teams drafting 1-2 both need quarterback. Why would they even consider trading out of the spot for Bradford, who's been hurt two years in a row and prone to injury? Bradford is Chip Kelly's consolation prize to what could have been a move. Chip's OC WAS Bradford's OC. You are correct Hopeful, and you saw a lot by looking. Old expression, but completely plays itself out here.

thoughts?

Well, St Louis press was totally sandbagged by this one. Took hours for them to comment.

The general view in St Louis seems to be that Foles is an upgrade. We'll see.

Essentially to get Foles, the Eagles traded down from the 4th to 5th round and gave up a 2nd next year, with the possibility of it ameliorating to a 3rd round trade-down if Bradford doesn't play. I kind of feel like that's a lot for a guy who has missed the last 25 regular-season games.

The question is, does Kelly really want Bradford as a player, or does he have some fiendish plan to package him up as part of a Mariotta trade-up?

IMO this is the beginning of the end of Kelly in Philly. He's going to get roasted.

IMO I think it will work out. If Bradford stays healthy he's a better QB to run Kelly's system, and he's also better trade bait to snag Mariotta, his dream QB. The risk of course is Bradford staying healthy, it's a big risk ... but if he doesn't they still have a chance to finish above .500 with Sanchez due to improvements on defense

As Bradford is on the last year of his contract, I don't see how he could be of much use in a trade up for a top QB prospect.

Seems an awful lot to give up for a guy who will be a FA next year. Kelly the GM hasn't impressed me thus far with his personel moves.

IMO I think it will work out. If Bradford stays healthy he's a better QB to run Kelly's system, and he's also better trade bait to snag Mariotta, his dream QB. The risk of course is Bradford staying healthy, it's a big risk ... but if he doesn't they still have a chance to finish above .500 with Sanchez due to improvements on defense

I really don't see how Bradford is better trade bait. Or how he's a better QB to run the system. Or how their "chance to finish above .500" isn't higher with Foles.

I really don't see how Bradford is better trade bait. Or how he's a better QB to run the system. Or how their "chance to finish above .500" isn't higher with Foles.

1. bradford generated a lot of buzz when rumors started he might be available, foles was rumored to be trade bait too but didnt generate nearly the buzz. 2. Bradford is more suited to spread offense.

3. didnt say chances werent greater to finish above 500 with foles

Edited by JTSP

I think Bradford is trade bait for them to move up for Mariotta. All of their moves up to this point are in preparation for that

It's an interesting question. They get Bradford and give up a 2nd round pick (but next year), which could presumably have been packaged.

But...the trade has Philly getting a compensatory 3rd from the Rams if Bradford misses the 2015 season and a compensatory 4th if Bradford doesn't play half the snaps for the Eagles.

How would that work in a trade-up situation where Bradford is part of the deal? Would it just be forfeit? Those picks make me think that Kelly wants to keep Bradford and play him.

Plus giving up next year's 2nd for Bradford won't help a trade-up.

Just saw Chip Kelly press conference...he's getting grilled in Philly, and he's defending Bradford move, and says "I was offered a 1st round pick for Bradford this morning..." (clear vocal emphasis on I)

Excuse me? Is this his personal team? ANY other coach or manager would say "we" were offered a 1st round pick. Nobody else seemed to pick up on this, but holy ego, batman!

He may know football, but it's still a team sport, and there's no way this ends well in Philly.....they've had much better years than Buffalo of late, but I'm feeling for my Philly friends and family now.

Just saw Chip Kelly press conference...he's getting grilled in Philly, and he's defending Bradford move, and says "I was offered a 1st round pick for Bradford this morning..." (clear vocal emphasis on I)

Excuse me? Is this his personal team? ANY other coach or manager would say "we" were offered a 1st round pick. Nobody else seemed to pick up on this, but holy ego, batman!

He may know football, but it's still a team sport, and there's no way this ends well in Philly.....they've had much better years than Buffalo of late, but I'm feeling for my Philly friends and family now.

i watched the press conf as well and other than looking full-on like Winnie the Pooh, he reminds me of Marrone. Condescending know-it-all. Edited by YoloinOhio

i watched the press conf as well and other than looking full-on like Winnie the Pooh, he reminds me of Marrone. Condescending know-it-all.

Except that Kelly has actually won far more games than he has lost in both college and the NFL. We will see how these moves work out, but he is entitled to some benefit of the doubt.

Except that Kelly has actually won far more games than he has lost in both college and the NFL. We will see how these moves work out, but he is entitled to some benefit of the doubt.

i was referring to his press conference demeanor reminded me of Marrone

• 2 weeks later...

@BuffRumblings: Report: #Bills were in on Bradford talks but didn't have ammo for a deal http://t.co/iyiSGU6gFg

I was kind of glad when I saw this because it made me feel less crazy. For a year now I have had a feeling that Bradford would be the QB this year. It just made sense. My thought was that he could be had for the same price that Alex Smith went for. That didn't turn out to be true.

With that being said, I wonder what our offer was? My guess is that we offered a 2 and a 5 or something like that.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

With that being said, I wonder what our offer was? My guess is that we offered a 2 and a 5 or something like that.

That's probably the offer, but looks like the deal killer was the QB swap.