Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Cassell is completely underwhelming to me. But, I am also an optimist to the point of being stupid at times. So here goes...

The Bills were 9-7 last year, with absolutely horrific offensive coaching, horrific offensive line play, a horrific running attack and absolutely horrific QBing. Now they got rid of the absolutely horrific offensive coaching, are adding OL (we will sign a good starting OG), added Shady frigging McCoy, a solid OL coach, and solid OC, probably a TE, and will get at least the same QB play and probably better.

I'm generally an optimistic homer, so there are very few QB's that we could start that I wouldn't think could lead this team to the playoffs.

Good read, thanks!

I think you've got part of the story but not all of it. I did a post in another thread I should probably have done here, maybe someone can tell me how to link to it?

Anyway, I think they are looking for what I would call a "mentor with an edge", someone who has won a starting job over a young guy recently and will put a serious scare into EJ (and any other young guy they bring in) that if he doesn't bring his A+ game it will be clipboard time - because that's exactly what it will be. EJ will get 1st team reps, but only if he earns them.

JMO. But looking for someone with that specific combination of attributes explains to me why they chose to pursue McCown and then Cassel over the rest of the FA class, including a couple who I believe have shown more talent as QB when they've played (Moore).

I completely agree. Bringing a vet QB just to be a mentor, and not seriously challenge for the starting spot, would be useless, IMO. I'm rooting for EJ, but he has to EARN the starting spot, as far as I'm concerned. So bring in someone who can start (and wants to) but also can sit and mentor (and isn't likely to whine about it). That's a fairly tough needle to thread, but I think Cassel may be a guy who does just that.

Negatives:

1.) Cassel is not good. In fact, he is bad. We've all seen him play enough to know this.

2.) It does kind of suck to give up draft assets (even bad ones) for a bad player, especially when there are similarly bad players available in FA.

3.) Seriously guys, it's Matt Cassel.

Positives:

1.) As Dean explained pretty well a couple posts up, Cassel is probably the best of the bad QB options for the Bills. Plus, even though he's bad, he's not abysmal, and hasn't shown any signs of becoming abysmal. Just bad. Bad is okay - you can still win games with bad. You can't win games with abysmal. Most of the FA QBs (including McCown) have shown flashes of abysmal.

2.) Cassel only has 1 year left on his contract. The main reason I didn't want the Bills to sign McCown (besides the fact that he's not good) was that with the Browns in play, the "winner" would have to give him multiple years and a decent $$ guarantee. Count me out.

3.) He's a veteran. I continue to think the Bills made a huge mistake in 2013 when they first traded T-Jax, then failed to sign another veteran once Kolb got hurt. You can't have only rookie QBs on the roster; that's stupid. The main reason I've been against the talk of signing Jake Locker (besides the fact that he's terrible and will never be good) is that he's only been in the league 4 years and made only 23 starts. He's basically Manuel with a 2 year head start. If Manuel hasn't significantly improved in 2 more years of part-time starting, he'll be Jake Locker. Pass. At least Cassel has been in the league 10 years. I think Manuel (or any young/inexperienced QB) needs that kind of veteran presence around. Doesn't mean Manuel will turn it around, but helps his odds a little bit.

Overall, I think it's about the best-ish the Bills could've done. I give it a solid meh.

Good read, thanks!

I think you've got part of the story but not all of it. I did a post in another thread I should probably have done here, maybe someone can tell me how to link to it?

Anyway, I think they are looking for what I would call a "mentor with an edge", someone who has won a starting job over a young guy recently and will put a serious scare into EJ (and any other young guy they bring in) that if he doesn't bring his A+ game it will be clipboard time - because that's exactly what it will be. EJ will get 1st team reps, but only if he earns them.

JMO. But looking for someone with that specific combination of attributes explains to me why they chose to pursue McCown and then Cassel over the rest of the FA class, including a couple who I believe have shown more talent as QB when they've played (Moore).

Hopeful - check the box that contains your post. The upper right hand corner displays a number which is hyperlinked to that post.

You can copy that and post it in another thread you're in.

Matt Cassell is completely underwhelming to me. But, I am also an optimist to the point of being stupid at times. So here goes...

The Bills were 9-7 last year, with absolutely horrific offensive coaching, horrific offensive line play, a horrific running attack and absolutely horrific QBing. Now they got rid of the absolutely horrific offensive coaching, are adding OL (we will sign a good starting OG), added Shady frigging McCoy, a solid OL coach, and solid OC, probably a TE, and will get at least the same QB play and probably better.

Reminds me of a Peter King article a couple of years back, that Bills Fans were "Stupidly Optimistic". I used that for my title here for a while. I get it too. Upgrade a coach (first time since Wade left that we have an NFL caliber HC. Solid coordinators are in place. The FO is no longer a **** show of old men playing canasta with matchbooks as chips. QB is NO WORSE than it was last year. The RB situation is vastly improved (if they get shady to show up and play, and I do believe they will). The OL coaching should be vastly improved, and Free Agency hasn't even started. Color me as optimistic as you and I can certainly see at least, at LEAST a 6 - 10 year. :w00t:

More likely 10 - 6 or better. I'm thinking 2015 AFCE Champions, and we get by Brady* and Luck - the sky's the limit. Rex is just the bully to kick that door down too.

Hopeful - check the box that contains your post. The upper right hand corner displays a number which is hyperlinked to that post.

Reminds me of a Peter King article a couple of years back, that Bills Fans were "Stupidly Optimistic". I used that for my title here for a while. I get it too. Upgrade a coach (first time since Wade left that we have an NFL caliber HC. Solid coordinators are in place. The FO is no longer a **** show of old men playing canasta with matchbooks as chips. QB is NO WORSE than it was last year. The RB situation is vastly improved (if they get shady to show up and play, and I do believe they will). The OL coaching should be vastly improved, and Free Agency hasn't even started. Color me as optimistic as you and I can certainly see at least, at LEAST a 6 - 10 year. :w00t:

More likely 10 - 6 or better. I'm thinking 2015 AFCE Champions, and we get by Brady* and Luck - the sky's the limit. Rex is just the bully to kick that door down too.

:beer:

:beer: I'm ready. Let's go!!

I hope it's not out of line to link to a post I made about Matt Cassel on the "EJ Starting QB" thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/176488-can-ej-be-the-starting-qb-for-the-bills/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3480288

Thanks Nanker and guys for the instructions!

It's March. I'm going with Matt Championship. :rolleyes::flirt:

I think we ought to call him Matt "Kingof" as in "King of the Cassel"

Edited by Hopeful