Who are we kidding, with the likes of Orton and McCown.

Tipster19

That is what I am thinking too. Hope we get lucky in the 3rd or 4th round.

BTW, I like the guys who say Locker is an option. I read an article calling EJ "the black Jake Locker"-- not sure we need two 79-rated passers.

cuz together they make a 158 rated passer..... sigh :(

Edited by RCOHEN13

If Rex actually does what he says he will do in building a power run offense, and a top defense then the Bills won't need a flashy gunslinger type QB! All they need is a guy who can manage the game, and move the chains when needed.

The foolish Browns gave up on 7-6 Hoyer, and signed a 1-10* bum in McClown. Cleveland after they played Buffalo last year lost the next four games to finish the year 7-9. Did i mention that those last four games were all against playoff teams in Indy, Cincy, Carolina, and Baltimore. This with Hoyer playing hurt after that Bills game. The last two years Brian Hoyer has gone 10-6 with Cleveland, and that is the best QB performance that team has seen the last 15 years.

Hoyer managed to play well without his best receivers most of the year as Josh Gordon only played in 5 games, and Jordan Cameron played in 9. Then neither one contributed very much last year. I think Hoyer is the best stop gap FA QB on the market, and it remains to be seen if he can develop further in a good offense with good coaching. That is provided the Bills actually do build a decent O line this season, as no QB will play well running for his life.

Therein lies the problem. We don't have a QB that we have confidence in to 'move the chains'. You make it sound so simple - just get first downs when we need them.

This never ending obsession over the QB situation continues to drift further and further from reality. It's like the Buffalo Chapter of Dungeons and Dragons after awhile. The two main themes that keep being gnawed on are clearly the result of deep ignorance or of mental deficiencies. To whit, that a McCown, a Hoyer, a Sanchez, a Glennon are somehow automatically such a big enough improvement over Manuel that the front office should trade Dareus, or a dozen draft picks or a bale of Pegulas money to get them into Buffalo, where the days of Heaven on Earth will suddenly prevail. This in spite of enough statistics and enough eye ball evidence that none of them -- as in zero -- are markedly better than EJ and in some cases are clearly worse.

The second obsession is even worse, that the Bills should trade for one of the elite QBs (or at least an almost elite QB) on other teams, as if the management of those franchises are insane enough to trade Rivers or Brees or Roethlisberger or any of the rest, as if it never occurred to them that their success is built around the QB position. But those other GMs are not morons, so if they did in fact show a willingness to trade one of those types of QBs, you can be assured that they have determined that that player is about squeezed dry and they're going to try to snooker some rube.

A subsidiary to both of those fixations is this idea that keeps being brought up, that the Bills absolutely have to draft a QB this year to replace EJ, again in spite of all evidence that none of the ones available in '15 are anything but "fixer-uppers" who would require more work than EJ. This faith-based fixation seems to be based on a belief that there is either a QB Tree out there where you can go and pick a ready-made franchise QB. Or else it's just an aspect of the well-known delusion that guys on other teams are always better than the guys on our team.

While the odds of the Bills drafting one of the mediocre crop of college QBs this year is virtually 100%, I doubt they will do so believing that the new guy will be "The One." And anyone around here who continues to think that the Bills "savior" is hiding in plain sight in the draft needs the care of a mental health professional. The real reality is that EJ, like it or not, is the best the Bills can do this year, even after dragging in every single available QB in the land. So let's hope that those who say he's got what it takes and just needs the right coaching are correct. Because if his critics are correct, it's going to be a looooong season.

This never ending obsession over the QB situation continues to drift further and further from reality. It's like the Buffalo Chapter of Dungeons and Dragons after awhile. The two main themes that keep being gnawed on are clearly the result of deep ignorance or of mental deficiencies. To whit, that a McCown, a Hoyer, a Sanchez, a Glennon are somehow automatically such a big enough improvement over Manuel that the front office should trade Dareus, or a dozen draft picks or a bale of Pegulas money to get them into Buffalo, where the days of Heaven on Earth will suddenly prevail. This in spite of enough statistics and enough eye ball evidence that none of them -- as in zero -- are markedly better than EJ and in some cases are clearly worse.

The second obsession is even worse, that the Bills should trade for one of the elite QBs (or at least an almost elite QB) on other teams, as if the management of those franchises are insane enough to trade Rivers or Brees or Roethlisberger or any of the rest, as if it never occurred to them that their success is built around the QB position. But those other GMs are not morons, so if they did in fact show a willingness to trade one of those types of QBs, you can be assured that they have determined that that player is about squeezed dry and they're going to try to snooker some rube.

A subsidiary to both of those fixations is this idea that keeps being brought up, that the Bills absolutely have to draft a QB this year to replace EJ, again in spite of all evidence that none of the ones available in '15 are anything but "fixer-uppers" who would require more work than EJ. This faith-based fixation seems to be based on a belief that there is either a QB Tree out there where you can go and pick a ready-made franchise QB. Or else it's just an aspect of the well-known delusion that guys on other teams are always better than the guys on our team.

While the odds of the Bills drafting one of the mediocre crop of college QBs this year is virtually 100%, I doubt they will do so believing that the new guy will be "The One." And anyone around here who continues to think that the Bills "savior" is hiding in plain sight in the draft needs the care of a mental health professional. The real reality is that EJ, like it or not, is the best the Bills can do this year, even after dragging in every single available QB in the land. So let's hope that those who say he's got what it takes and just needs the right coaching are correct. Because if his critics are correct, it's going to be a looooong season.

so in short,

We're screwed again?

I read the article on nfl.com regarding the clown 3 year deal.

It stated that he was arguably THE TOP QB IN FREE AGENCY!!!!!!???

Wthell!!!!!!

They praise the fact that the browns stole him from Buffalo using old school tactics.

We didnt just dodge a bullet, by not signing that clown. We dodged an A-bomb riding a tricycle with one leg. We got lucky gents. We got lucky gents. Nfl.com is so wrong on this one.

The way this QB search is being dealt with it seems as though nothing has changed at 1BD. Orton, McCown really what are we doing.... Everytime we talk about a QB the bills are thinking about I think the payoff get further and further away.

FOR ONCE, DO SOMETHING this caliber of QB is not helping us.

We do have a dominating defense and a good special teams backing up that QB

I think we are going to make the playoffs this year

so in short,

We're screwed again?

Could be. In any case, there is no Magical Quarterback Man who's going to come riding into town on a unicorn, trailing rainbows and lollipops, to take the reins in B-Lo for a run to the Super Bowl, because there isn't one, not in the draft, not in free agency, not in a trade (unless the Bills have video of an owner or GM in bed with Michael Jackson and a gaggle of little boys).

The way this QB search is being dealt with it seems as though nothing has changed at 1BD. Orton, McCown really what are we doing.... Everytime we talk about a QB the bills are thinking about I think the payoff get further and further away.

Exactly. In the +55 page thread on that clown, someone stated that the guy at obd who THOUGHT about bringing in that clown, should get fired.

I kinda agree. Mcclown is a washed up clown. To even consider him is a negative.

It's like a comedian opening up with a knock knock joke

It's like a guy wanting to arm wrestle you with no arms.

It's like getting a speeding ticket while parked.

It's eating cereal with water.

It's learning to ride a bike at age 47 1/2

It's like watching movies in black and white.

Could be. In any case, there is no Magical Quarterback Man who's going to come riding into town on a unicorn, trailing rainbows and lollipops, to take the reins in B-Lo for a run to the Super Bowl, because there isn't one, not in the draft, not in free agency, not in a trade (unless the Bills have video of an owner or GM in bed with Michael Jackson and a gaggle of little boys).

I agree about the QB situation we all need to accept that. Best we can do is grab a placeholder and hope for EJ to find his way under a new and seemingly competent coaching staff.

and run the f'n ball .

Essentially, its the TBD truism... Any player not on the Bills is better than any player on the Bills.

Problem is, this year, there are no truly better QBs out there that can be had. But, people refuse to see that because EJ is clearly the worst QB in the league.... Because he's on the Bills.

Draft a guy, and let EJM hand the ball off 80% of the plays.

Super. Then you have a guy on the outside that you spent two #1 picks on acting as a decoy.

Make a trade to the Eagles for Nick Foles, and bring a QB that can actually play. I'm sick of guys like Fitz, Orton, Kelly Holcomb, and the likes. Theres a reason why they can't stay with a team more than a year or two. If previous management wouldn't have been so dillusional over Fitzpatrick, they might have drafted one of several quality QB's they passed on.

I read the article on nfl.com regarding the clown 3 year deal.

It stated that he was arguably THE TOP QB IN FREE AGENCY!!!!!!???

Wthell!!!!!!

They praise the fact that the browns stole him from Buffalo using old school tactics.

We didnt just dodge a bullet, by not signing that clown. We dodged an A-bomb riding a tricycle with one leg. We got lucky gents. We got lucky gents. Nfl.com is so wrong on this one.

Couldn't agree more. McCown couldn't start for the local high school team! Did anyone watch him play last year? I'm estatic they Bills DIDN'T sign him, as he brings nothing here but more bad quarterback play!

As what happened when the Bills traded with New England for Bledsoe.

Our QB situation is a mess. I like EJ and want him to be 'the guy' but the key word there is want, I don't have much faith in him being a starting QB but hopefully I'm wrong. I did want us to sign McCown, only in light of our situation for a QB. I believe that he's a quality person/teammate and would be ample enough being paired with a dominate defense and a ground-n-pound offense. Oh well, how we lost out to Cleveland of all teams is a real head scratcher. As far as Orton goes I was never a player for this clown. I seen enough of him over in Denver.

Where do we go from here? Bradford and Locker are brittle, I would begrudgingly hitch my wagon to them if they were obtained but with bated breath. Sancheze, I can't believe that I'm even considering this guy but I must say that after last year I did see some things in him that I didn't think we're possible but the thing with this guy is that you'll always be waiting for the only shoe to drop with him. Foles? I don't even know if he's a possibility and truthfully, I don't know enough of him to really form a good opinion.

So where does this leave us? Really. Can anyone give a good, wholehearted endorsement of any candidate out there because I can't. I think that our best bet is to just fortify our defense and OL, add and upgrade our RBs, find multiple TEs to compliment our current WRs for a safer passing offense so we can minimize the QB position and get ourselves in a better position for a quality QB in the future.

I believe that the only other way for us to really improve our QB situation is to make a big time trade for one. I don't even know if this is even possible, who it could be and what it would take but that is the only other way that would give me any kind belief. I think that if this were the case the only 2 that would fit this would either be Brees or a distant second in Cutler and with Cutler there is considerable amount of baggage but the guy does have a big time arm and has plenty of starter experience. The one thing I will say about a potential Cutler trade would be that he should be able to be obtained for quite a reasonable price, which is something that we would be able to afford, considering our available draft picks and such.

Only teams NOT looking for a better QB are:

NE, Denver, GB, Seattle, Indy, NO

A few teams currently HOPING that their recent draft picks are the answer:

Jaguars, Raiders

Pretty much all other teams are looking to upgrade at QB

I'm gonna stand by a well-coached EJ Manuel, who spent the last 12 games last year holding a clipboard. Which he should have been doing his rookie year as well. I'd rather have him than any of the hacks we're discussing here.

Although I would look at Hoyer as a good backup. He did have some good games a couple years ago, and is as competitive as hell.

Exactly. Why hasn't Whaley gone down to the QB-Martand bought the jumbo size model with all the bells and whistles.

He could even put it on lay-away for pickup when training camp opens. Sheesh, what a slacker...

Why are you so insanely obsessed with Jake Locker?

This thread should be "Who are we kidding, with likes of Orton and Mccown and with the weird love from Beef Jerky towards Jake Locker"

12 TDS 13 INTS 3300 Yards 76 RATE is decent no?

Well Geno Smith was better. Kyle Orton was significantly better and he wasn't good enough. Hoyer started off ok but by end of season he was playing as bad as any QB in the league.

Why are you so insanely obsessed with Jake Locker?

This thread should be "Who are we kidding, with likes of Orton and Mccown and with the weird love from Beef Jerky towards Jake Locker"

12 TDS 13 INTS 3300 Yards 76 RATE is decent no?

im conflicted on hoyer. I honestly think EJ's better.

The Bills could go all out to fix the OL . Slim pickens for even a backup QB this off season.

Maybe Orton will change his mind (after TC is over) with Rex here and a better OL just to backup EJ

Edited by ALF

Super. Then you have a guy on the outside that you spent two #1 picks on acting as a decoy.

Make a trade to the Eagles for Nick Foles, and bring a QB that can actually play. I'm sick of guys like Fitz, Orton, Kelly Holcomb, and the likes. Theres a reason why they can't stay with a team more than a year or two. If previous management wouldn't have been so dillusional over Fitzpatrick, they might have drafted one of several quality QB's they passed on.

Are you as sick of fans who can not count or exaggerate to make points?

As example 4 is a bigger number than 2:

2009 Fitz started 8 games

2010 Fitz started 13 games

2011 Fitz started 16 games

2012 Fitz started 16 games

Fitzpatrick would probably still be in Buffalo if they Bills had negotiated harder on contract making it more incentive based and not potential based.

I can count just fine. The point is Fitz sucked, and Nix, Gailey, and Jauron basically forced all of us to believe that "he's our guy."

Had they opened their eyes and not been so damned stubborn, they would have drafted a guy that is making plays for a team now.

If you think or wish Fitzpatrick was still here, than you don't know much about good quarterback play.

Plug in the opening day game against the Jets his last year, you will see all you need to see.

Like I said, there's a reason he has been with at least 5 teams now, and if had been any good when Nix signed him, he wouldn't have been available then!

Edited by harv shitz

Well Geno Smith was better. Kyle Orton was significantly better and he wasn't good enough. Hoyer started off ok but by end of season he was playing as bad as any QB in the league.

Geno smith better than Sanchez???

I disagree. Sanchez not the best qb of all time, not even close. But Geno is horrible. Geno should be a wr. Not a qb.

im conflicted on hoyer. I honestly think EJ's better.

That's why you let them battle out in camp.