Have we talked about Buffalo being one of worst sports logos

mead107

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Bills Logo and think that judging it because it is not representative of Wild Bill Cody is stupid. Wild Bill Cody helped decimate the Bison population and drive it to extinction.

Wild Bill Cody? I think I know who needs the history lesson.

"Cody supported conservation by speaking out against hide-hunting and pushing for a hunting season"

Wilson, R.L. (1998). Buffalo Bill's Wild West: An American Legend. Random House. p. 316. ISBN 978-0-375-50106-7.

I do personally prefer the Standing Buffalo logo for us

That IMO is the by far one of the worst logos ever. A plain standing grazing Buffalo does not look good IMO. It does not inspire and it just does not look cool

I actually think it's a pretty good looking logo. Sure you can make the case that the logo doesn't actually match the team name, but the city name has the obvious dual meaning. In terms of aesthetics it's far more pleasing than many logos across sports.

It seems like the point is more against the name than the logo (I could buy into some criticism there). Also, I think this i just another case of Buffalo to be an easy city to dump on.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wild Bill Cody? I think I know who needs the history lesson.

"Cody supported conservation by speaking out against hide-hunting and pushing for a hunting season"

Wilson, R.L. (1998). Buffalo Bill's Wild West: An American Legend. Random House. p. 316. ISBN 978-0-375-50106-7.

Anyone can throw quotes from Wikipedia onto a forum to call someone out. Good job.

"Cody is purported to have killed 4,282 American bison (commonly known as buffalo) in eighteen months, (1867–1868)."

Cody, Col. William F: The Adventures of Buffalo Bill Cody, 1st ed. page viii. New York and London: Harper & Brother, 1904

But for some reason I think his actions showed differently than his support and talk for conservation.

Its like the Bears.

They dont have a Bear on their helmet but instead a "C" for the city name

Buffalo has a logo that represents the city rather than the team name

CBF

Good call. Or like the 'G' for Green Bay. It can further be argued that the blue buffalo is representative of the city's historically blue collar work ethic.

Anyone can throw quotes from Wikipedia onto a forum to call someone out. Good job.

"Cody is purported to have killed 4,282 American bison (commonly known as buffalo) in eighteen months, (1867–1868)."

Cody, Col. William F: The Adventures of Buffalo Bill Cody, 1st ed. page viii. New York and London: Harper & Brother, 1904

But for some reason I think his actions showed differently than his support and talk for conservation.

Nobody is arguing he didn't kill a whole heck of a lot of bison. This is originally what he was paid for, and he even earned his name in a bison killing contest against another man who claimed the same 'Buffalo Bill' title. But to say he helped cause their extinction (which in itself is incorrect because they are not extinct (yet)) is just not true and is unfair to his legacy. I doubt there is an American from that era who would be more disappointed to learn that they no longer roam the American west.

Nobody is arguing he didn't kill a whole heck of a lot of bison. This is originally what he was paid for, and he even earned his name in a bison killing contest against another man who claimed the same 'Buffalo Bill' title. But to say he helped cause their extinction (which in itself is incorrect because they are not extinct (yet)) is just not true and is unfair to his legacy. I doubt there is an American from that era who would be more disappointed to learn that they no longer roam the American west.

I meant to say brink of extinction and apologize for that. But he was not a major factor in the american Bison making its return from that brink of extinction that he contributed to.

His legacy, whether fairly applied or not, was that he helped cause the near extinction of the animal.

I love the Bills logo. No other logo shows blood or has a penis bump. We got both.

You like penis bump?

http://brianlangis.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/nfl-logos-rebranding/ buffalo-bills.png

This is pretty cool. Not that i'd want to change it, but the explanation makes it worthwhile.

This is not pretty cool.

Looks like a weird looking bambi.

Being names the Bills is kind of silly. But I like our logo OK.

I have had to tell people, "Bills, like when you pay a bill" Then they go, "Oh Buffalo Bills"

Some folks dont know anything about sports.

The same website also has the Bills listed as one of the 10 worst sports franchises. That is more on the mark than the logo, even though I actually prefer the old standing Buffalo (which actually was waiting to be shot by Buffalo Bill Cody).

I have an affinity for the old AFL logos, and the Pats change from their classic center to their current character free removed the only thing I have ever liked about that franchise. It also pisses me off that the Titans keep control over the Oilers name and logo so that the new Houston franchise had to use a boring moniker and a logo that lacks any class. The oil rig logo was perfectly understated and classy. Of course, I also hope the Browns never succumb to using a logo, so maybe I'm just old and boring.

Well the Browns didn't listen to you...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/18/browns-expected-to-unveil-new-logo-next-week/

No other logo shows blood... .

Wrong. The Chicago Bulls logo shows blood. Blood was added to the tips of horns some years after the team's inception.

Got me on the "penis bump" but, the red is a "streak." Bills went to "streaking bison" during the whole "streaking craze" in the early 1970's... What other logo has a nude, blue, streaking logo with it's penis showing! :-P

I meant to say brink of extinction and apologize for that. But he was not a major factor in the american Bison making its return from that brink of extinction that he contributed to.

His legacy, whether fairly applied or not, was that he helped cause the near extinction of the animal.

Yes he helped. But if you really want to blame someone go after the UP and CP railroads. And the millions of settlers they brought to the plains.

Not really used on the Buffalo hunts. the far more powerful single shots were the tool of choice. the comparatively weak repeaters where used by some civilians to repel hostile native attacks but the US army did not issue a repeater till 1892.

Thanks! I never knew that. I always just assumed it was ease of use, say off the side of a passing train. LoL... I guess I can't trust Hollywood! ;-)

Thanks! I never knew that. I always just assumed it was ease of use, say off the side of a passing train. LoL... I guess I can't trust Hollywood! ;-)

Well I'm sure there were some city "sports" that plinked at them off trains, no doubt. Wounding far more than they killed I imagine. But the pros, the ones that shot thousands of Buffalo in their careers where some of the finest shots this nation has produced. They would sneak up to a herd unnoticed, lay there heavy barreled rifles on a rest and shoot the leader[it was always a cow] though the lungs. As it lay there slowly bleeding out, the rest of the herd would mill about unsure what to do. The hunter would then pick them off one by one.

Beau fleuve, I believe.

from mme Colleran, 7th grade (witch) french teacher.

Yes, that's what I was taught too, and that was back in the 50's, a much nearer time to the French colonists.

I know it's the off season, and everyone's bored with watching bowling but, no matter the logo, I wouldn't have changed the last 20 years. :cry:

I'm not a particularly big fan of any sports logo that every 4 year old could draw near flawlessly: Packers, Bears, Colts and Cowboys come to mind.

Funny. I've always said the exact opposite. I like simple logos. I hate logos that have way too much going on. We have the perfect balance, not boring, yet not overwhelming.

The original six hockey teams haven't change their logos in years. Modified and updated, but stayed with the concept. Look what happned with the Sabres. They tried going modern with the goat-head, people didn't care for it. They tried again with the slug, and people hated it. Now they went back to the original and it's loved. Same with the Bills uniforms.

I hated the Sabres new uniforms couldn't believe they went away from the Blue and Gold. Couldn't stand the crappy uniforms that came with Gregg Williams, also never liked the red helmets. I hope they never try changing them again.

I hated the Sabres new uniforms couldn't believe they went away from the Blue and Gold. Couldn't stand the crappy uniforms that came with Gregg Williams, also never liked the red helmets. I hope they never try changing them again.

I actually like the red helmets. Granted they wore those during the best years of their existence.