Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

This makes me think that they will go the traditional route for the third guy to compete (UFA, draft) rather than make a splash/trade for a surefire starter like Bradford, Cutler, RGIII et al. Unless one of those guys becomes available, in which case McCown and Manuel would compete for the backup job, which I'd have to imagine McCown would have the inside track on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this isn't as much about the player, McCown, as it is about the front office and mindset.

I'm not a huge McCown fan but he's a decent back-up. His signing would make our team significantly better today, the same way that Incognito's signing did. Now, if the Bills were going to think to themselves after the RI signing, okay we got a new starter, now let's try to fix other positions, I would not have been happy. But that is apparently not the case, as afterwards Rex made it clear that they were going after another guy and probably a starter.

If that is what is going on with the QB I am all for this. I know we will bring in at least one other guy. Now a guy like Locker isnt a bad option. Or try to make a trade for a starter knowing it probably will be tough but at least you have a fall back plan.

If that's the idea I am on board. If it's 2015 is the year of EJ and McCown and a longshot 3 not so much.

But he's 10x better than Tuel and if he signs we have two players that can at least possibly play the position in a regular season game.

Is he really 10X better? This is a pretty crappy statistical record. The 2013 season looks like a real outlier. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoJo01.htm

I would really love to know what the new coaching staff thinks of Tuel.

I like Tuel. I like his moxie. And really, how much does a QB need to do in Roman's system?

Not saying Tuel is HOF or Franchise caliber, but I'm not sure we should forget that he exists on this roster.

Well, he's a vet that can be of help to EJ. Let's just hope he doesn't have to take the field. And even if he does, it's not like he'll be another rookie going out there.

Developing EJ as the starter is still the objective. Whatever McCown can bring to the table to help in that area is welcome.

This is clearly heading to be one of those signings that everyone hates but no one has a better solution.

Gotta love the X-boxers.

Being proactive about signing guys who hit the market in February is just a sound roster management. It lets them keep trolling for biggier fish and throw the little ones back, should they reel one in.

This is not the 'little talked about direction at QB' move, IMO. Just a low-cost insurance policy...

Well, he's a vet that can be of help to EJ. Let's just hope he doesn't have to take the field. And even if he does, it's not like he'll be another rookie going out there.

Developing EJ as the starter is still the objective. Whatever McCown can bring to the table to help in that area is welcome.

I know it's the truth, and that there is a small chance they can be successful doing it. But it makes my stomach queasy every time I read that.

Is he really 10X better? This is a pretty crappy statistical record. The 2013 season looks like a real outlier. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoJo01.htm

No, he's way more than 10x better. You really have to stop just using a stat chart to make a point. ;)

Jeff Tuel cannot play QB in the NFL on a decent level for any period of time. He never has and never will. He never played college football at a good level. He was benched his senior season by a QB guru. He does nothing very good, and suffers from "Chronic Ryan Nuefeld Syndrome." Stats are often a great indicator, and just as often they are the worst. Just linking a stat line says nothing about the issue that Jeff Tuel does not belong on an NFL roster. Seems like a great guy though.

Obviously I meant 2013 and 2014. Typo.

And it's a fact that Michael Vick is better than Josh McCown (are you really even arguing this because that's laughable) and it's a fact that Geno and EJ are pretty much neck and neck at this point in their careers.

Yeah, lets bring in Vick. Then when he doesn't prepare for games and makes the same ridiculous mental mistakes he's been making for his entire career, we can point at you and laugh.

Michael Vick. Jesus H. Christ. <_<

My guess is we sign both he and Sanchez. Sanchize will be the starter and Manuel / McCown battle for the #2 position. I'm praying to god that the plan is not to have McCown battle for the starting position. If so, point me to the nearest ledge!

If Sanchez and McCown are the best options, it reminds me of the old MadTV dating skit Lowered Expectations

Yeah, lets bring in Vick. Then when he doesn't prepare for games and makes the same ridiculous mental mistakes he's been making for his entire career, we can point at you and laugh.

Michael Vick. Jesus H. Christ. <_<

Nobody wants Michael Vick either. What are you talking about?