Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report: Bills hope to sign Josh McCown on Monday

AP

Last Thursday on PFT Live, former Buccaneers quarterback Josh McCown opted not to name the teams that had approached him about possibly joining them in the wake of his sudden availability. But the short list of potential destinations for a shot at starting were obvious: Buffalo, Cleveland, and the Jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/report-bills-hope-to-sign-josh-mccown-on-monday/

Vick was never great. He has had only 2 years out of 12 where his completion stats were better than those that EJ Manuel has so far managed, McCown has had 3 in 11 years (one only based on 2 starts mind you). Vick has had 5 years out of 12 with a better Quarterback Rating than EJ has so far managed (and one of those was in a season of 1 start so can pretty much be discounted) McCown just 1. What made Vick without doubt more productive that McCown was his ability to run and that ability is nowhere near what once it was.

I personally don't think either of those two is the answer. I suspect EJ would have a fine chance of beating out either of them in camp.

Guys, I'm not saying Vick is good either! Vick sucks too but he has been and always will be a better QB than Josh McCown. You think 1 bad year in NY and now Vick is worse than Josh McCown when he has been better than him for 12 years in a row? McCown was bad last year too, what's your point?

Is McCown an upgrade to what we have on our roster? I'd say yes. I'm not doing cartwheels over this, but whoever starts for us is not going to be asked to shoulder the load.

I would say he is as good as Orton, at least, and with a competent OC who is not in way over his head perhaps we get those wins vs. KC, Hou and Oak.

I want EJ to win this competition. But it is obvious he hasn't taken that next step.

I like the McCown move but only because of timing. It's much easier to bring him on board now, a month before FA starts, then further address the position in open FA and potentially the draft.

Basically sign McCown now and tell him he's got a real chance to compete for the job. Then he's under contract and we can talk to the Mallet/Hoyer/Moore/Sanchez/Locker class of FA and tell them they've got a real chance to compete too. That leaves us with 3 guys to hope for competence to emerge. On the flip side, if we just hit FA with EJ it will likely be very difficult to simultaniously negoiate with two FA QBs and we risk not getting any of them.

Seriously, are we discussing Michael Vick as a potential starter for us? Did people miss the level of unpreparedness he showed with the Jets when he had to start for them? The guy is not a good QB, he doesn't see the field and can't read defenses. He looked like he didn't care last year.

Seriously, are we discussing Michael Vick as a potential starter for us? Did people miss the level of unpreparedness he showed with the Jets when he had to start for them? The guy is not a good QB, he doesn't see the field and can't read defenses. He looked like he didn't care last year.

no who said that?

If McCowan is brought in, would they want to make him a back-up or the starter!?

This guy is Orton Part II.

We need a better plan.

As long as we keep picking up middling teams' middling QBs out of the trash bin, we will never go anywhere.

Christ, I'd rather start EJ. At least with him, we don't know for sure if he properly belongs in the trash bin or not.

McCowan is already in it.

I like the McCown move but only because of timing. It's much easier to bring him on board now, a month before FA starts, then further address the position in open FA and potentially the draft.

Basically sign McCown now and tell him he's got a real chance to compete for the job. Then he's under contract and we can talk to the Mallet/Hoyer/Moore/Sanchez/Locker class of FA and tell them they've got a real chance to compete too. That leaves us with 3 guys to hope for competence to emerge. On the flip side, if we just hit FA with EJ it will likely be very difficult to simultaniously negoiate with two FA QBs and we risk not getting any of them.

This is the only scenario that a McCown signing can be stomached.

That is my take too. It takes a bit of pressure off those first few days of free agency and lessens the chance they end up way overpaying for a Hoyer or Sanchez or Mallet or Locker type in my opinion. Like everyone else though if we open 2015 with McCown under centre I will feel underwhelmed.

He probably doesn't care. His dogfighting crimes also left him hugely in debt and he's been working to pay that money off. He's clearly sticking around just for a paycheck.

Guys, I'm not saying Vick is good either! Vick sucks too but he has been and always will be a better QB than Josh McCown. You think 1 bad year in NY and now Vick is worse than Josh McCown when he has been better than him for 12 years in a row? McCown was bad last year too, what's your point?

My point is that what has made Vick better than McCown for their careers is his legs. They are not what once they were. Left to compete arm vs arm as a passer I think McCown has proven himself more accurate as a rule.

If McCowan is brought in, would they want to make him a back-up or the starter!?

This guy is Orton Part II.

We need a better plan.

As long as we keep picking up middling teams' middling QBs out of the trash bin, we will never go anywhere.

Christ, I'd rather start EJ. At least with him, we don't know for sure if he properly belongs in the trash bin or not.

McCowan is already in it.

The issue is that this is the type of guy that is on the market this year. There are very few FA options and the draft is really weak at that position as well. McCown will compete with EJ and whoever else they try to bring in. If McCown plays like he did in Chicago in 2013 we are good for a few years. If he plays like he did in Tampa last year, he won't win the job. I'm cool with this move if it is to happen but he is by no means my top choice.