where were you guys

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At a bar in the Flats in Cleveland with my uncle and a buddy. The Boathouse maybe? The Harbor Inn? It's gone now at any rate. A truly great few hours though. My uncle got into an arguement with a guy during the first half and they kept going round and round. My uncle (who is white) kept calling Warren Moon "the biggest choke artist he's ever seen" and the other guy (who was black) kept arguing that he was wrong and that he was only saying that because Moon was black. My uncle (who is not racist) kept arguing why, but the arguement always came back the same place, with the guy basically calling my uncle out as racist.

So my uncle keeps telling the guy that Moon is going to choke away the game because "that's just who he is". That guy was so mad I couldn't believe he didn't start a fight. At halftime he finally told my uncle to put his money where his mouth was and they bet $20 each on who would win. The bartender had been watching most of the exchange and agreed to hold the money. The guy just got more and more mad as the second half of the game went on and finally left before it ended.

I asked my uncle why he made the bet with the Bills down so much and he said that if he lost he was only out $20, but if he won he was going to have a great story. Incidentally my uncle (and I) were born and raised Browns fans. We both really enjoyed watching the great Bills teams, but the bet didn't come from any allegiance. Great few hours there that day.

Is that the day you became a full fledged Bills fan?

These are all great stories guys. Keep em coming

At the game with my Dad and some of his work buddies. They all left at halftime...I grabbed the bottom of my seat, cried and forced my Dad to stay cause I thought we could win. We stayed and the rest is history. Took my ticket to school the next day and this kid in my class stole it from it. Crushed me. Jokes on him cause he got aids in prison.

I was home here in FLorida. I was so fed up after Frank threw that interception to start the second half, that I started loading up my windsurfing gear. I was going to the beach to try and wash off the loss. My wife, who is not from western NY and is only a Bills fan because of me, continued to watch. When the Bills scored and then recovered the onside kick, she stopped me. She told me I better come back in and watch, which I did. I love that woman.

I was living with my girlfriend in north Chicago at the time. She was not around that day, probably because she knew how disturbing I can be while watching the Bills.

I remember being disgusted at halftime, and I turned it off and went to do crap around the house. I thought maybe I would just watch the first drive of the second half, and if they didn't score, that would be it. When Reich threw the pick-6, I was really pissed off and turned off the TV for good.

But as most Bills fans know, there is no "for good." After a few minutes I had to just check in to make sure, and I saw it all unfold. It was crazy to watch, especially with nobody around to experience it with. I was jumping around and screaming all by myself.

I was with my (ex) wife and baby daughter in Northern California. Around halftime, my ex was trying to convince me to take her shopping.

I remember her asking me, "Has any team ever come back from this far down before?"

"No," I grudgingly conceded. But then added something corny like, "But a fan never gives up hope." The truth was that I thought there was maybe 1 chance in 100,000 of the Bills coming back. Thurman was out. Kelly was out. And, if I recall correctly, Houston had beaten us in the last game of the regular season. They clearly had our number.

I "watched" the first few minutes of the game at Otto's in Cheektowaga. But it was so crowded and the TV was so small, I couldn't see anything. So I went home and listed to the rest of the game on the radio. I had to be to work at around 4:00 so I was listening to the end of the game in the car. When we won, I ran into the building and all of my co-workers were screaming and freaking out. What a great memory.

I remember hanging out at Otto's in the early 80s with my impoverished, degenerate friends for 10-cent wings. We'd order buckets of 'em.

I was only three, but my dad was at a bar. Watching it on an illegal cable signal they got. At half time he left, and went and visited my grandfather in the nursing home. While listening to it on the radio, basically said "Dad, I love ya, but I gotta go. Wish I could take you with me." Made it back just in time for overtime.

I find it comical that no one ever admits to leaving! Whenever this topic comes up everyone stayed for the whole game. I've watched the replay of the game and there were very few Bills fans who stayed.

Although I was not at the game (too young) I probably would have left. I was at the raiders game this year and I left before the bills made it respectable. I guess the bill's disappointments have lead me to be a bit of a pessimist when it comes to football.

I find it comical that no one ever admits to leaving! Whenever this topic comes up everyone stayed for the whole game. I've watched the replay of the game and there were very few Bills fans who stayed.

Although I was not at the game (too young) I probably would have left. I was at the raiders game this year and I left before the bills made it respectable. I guess the bill's disappointments have lead me to be a bit of a pessimist when it comes to football.

Thought the same thing. Everyone here that went stayed the whole game. But I will say, growing up in a family with a modest income and four kids, if my dad got us tickets to games, we stayed til the very end.

For this game, I listened on my parents couch (I was 13).

Most posters weren't at the game.