Who is the 2nd toughest Guard available ?

HOUSE

Richardson, Urbik, Williams, Cyrus...I think they will let them battle it out in preseason.

All efforts should be focused on QB now

As Hondo just pointed out, guard is a position one can actually address in free agency.

Improved o-line is a must for this team.

It is tiresome to hear the constant lament about qb. The available options just aren't that good.

OBD should spend the money where real improvement is possible.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'll agree that his play didn't look very good, but as has been pointed out our running game went down the tubes once he got hurt. So maybe not nearly as bad as most of the wanna be scouts here think he is.

I think the running game went down the tubes when EJ and the read option went to the bench. It was really the only marginally effective running series that they had.

I just never was convinced that the Bills big money signing was going to be an OG. Whaley has tried to find guys with some upside (Richardson, Chris Williams) when selecting or signing guards. I think that Incognito fits that mold as well. He is a low floor (character reasons), high ceiling (talented player). I think that the next guy will be a little more stable that they can depend on as a starter. My feeling is that Iupati's price tag is going to be significantly higher than the other guards on the market. My guess is that they go after the next tier whether it be Grubbs, Jahri Evans (one will be released I presume) or Boling.

In terms of Revis he will hit the market I believe. He has always chased the $. The Pats won't be keeping him at that number. Unless they blow him away with an offer (which isn't the Pats style) he will see what's out there. Rex wants him.

I wonder if the recent success of our defense, attributable primarily to the defensive line, has altered Whaley's philosophy. By grabbing someone upper tier like Iupati, he would be building an offensive line as a strength of the team, much like the defensive line. Perhaps that is the philosophy that Rex brings that Whaley is on board with: build powerful offensive and defensive lines, and the rest will follow.

Of course, if we can get a talented second-tier guy for less who is almost as good, I could see that. But I would like to see them spend the bucks on the line players (Iupati, Hughes) before guys like DBs.

I wonder if the recent success of our defense, attributable primarily to the defensive line, has altered Whaley's philosophy. By grabbing someone upper tier like Iupati, he would be building an offensive line as a strength of the team, much like the defensive line. Perhaps that is the philosophy that Rex brings that Whaley is on board with: build powerful offensive and defensive lines, and the rest will follow.

Of course, if we can get a talented second-tier guy for less who is almost as good, I could see that. But I would like to see them spend the bucks on the line players (Iupati, Hughes) before guys like DBs.

Yeah that's kind of interesting. I think that I would rather Jahri Evans & Revis than Hughes and Iupati but you could easily go the other way. Some will still depend on the plan at QB. Is the QB that you are chasing a $5M guy or a $10m guy?

Just curious, why do you think signing RI means Iupati is out? Do you really think Revis will be available? The Pats** have something similar to a one-year franchise option on him.

Ha! Is this how we're spelling Pats** now? -with 2 deflated asterisks? I'm all in, just didn't get the memo.

OL? Nevermind name recognition. Get the 'type of guys' Roman needs to implement his attack. Big mailers/zone blockers/pullers. What ever his approach, get 'em! I'd hate to hear the old excuses for poor OL play -that we don't have the 'type of guys' we need to run our scheme.

I fully expect another OLman to be signed. Iupati gets a lot of attention but he could draw 9 mil a year and that is money I'd rather see go to Hughes. Boling is a very good G and I agree that at least 1 of the NO Gs will be realeased.

However I expect the Bills to go more of a bargain signing. I predict that the Bills sign JAMES CARPENTER of the Seattle Seahawks. He is a very good starting LG who wont break the bank. He performed very well in the playoffs this year. He is a big mauler and would look great on our team!!!

Yeah that's kind of interesting. I think that I would rather Jahri Evans & Revis than Hughes and Iupati but you could easily go the other way. Some will still depend on the plan at QB. Is the QB that you are chasing a $5M guy or a $10m guy?

Well, I know I'm in the minority, but I think with some key additions on the line and at TE, I think EJ can get the job done. As for QB additions, I don't think they're looking at a high-profile high-price option, but that's based on nothing but my gut.

Ha! Is this how we're spelling Pats** now? -with 2 deflated asterisks? I'm all in, just didn't get the memo.

OL? Nevermind name recognition. Get the 'type of guys' Roman needs to implement his attack. Big mailers/zone blockers/pullers. What ever his approach, get 'em! I'd hate to hear the old excuses for poor OL play -that we don't have the 'type of guys' we need to run our scheme.

That's how I'm doing it now!

Agree.

Regards tying up money on the guard spot... I think it's fair to say that the guard position cost us the playoffs last year. If money was short, and good QBs were on the FA market, I might think differently. But guard is a place where we can realize a substantial bang for the buck. Our economy guards are killing us. Let's open the purse strings.

Agree. The way QB is going....we need can't spend enough on the OL (even if it is at guard).

However I expect the Bills to go more of a bargain signing. I predict that the Bills sign JAMES CARPENTER of the Seattle Seahawks. He is a very good starting LG who wont break the bank. He performed very well in the playoffs this year. He is a big mauler and would look great on our team!!!

Nice. Hope this works out. Excited for next season.