Who is the 2nd toughest Guard available ?

HOUSE

Conrad Dobler is too old ......

Okay, assuming we sign Incognito, who is the 2nd toughest guard that the Bills can pick up ?

Laugh if you want but the Bills won't be done after signing Richy....there will be another guy coming.

--

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO. RI signals we are going cheaper with the right guard spot, let him battle it out with Urbik and Richardson.

I expect it means we are going more expensive with a sure answer at the LG spot, ie Roman's old LG Iupati.

Not necessarily. Unless the Bills can get another OG off the street who was a Pro Bowler until playing next to a bad LT, they'll probably spend big bucks on a RG. My guess would be Iupati, since Roman was his OC.

IMO. RI signals we are going cheaper with the right guard spot, let him battle it out with Urbik and Richardson.

I expect it means we are going more expensive with a sure answer at the LG spot, ie Roman's old LG Iupati.

I think that this eliminates Iupati IMO. They will go after another FA guard still I think b/c of the question marks with RI but he is insurance. The worst case scenario (assuming RI doesn't go crazy again) would be Incognito and Urbik. I think that the more likely scenario is Incognito and someone like Boling or whichever Saints guard gets released (which I expect for cap reason). I still think that the big money signing will be Revis.

I think that this eliminates Iupati IMO. They will go after another FA guard still I think b/c of the question marks with RI but he is insurance. The worst case scenario (assuming RI doesn't go crazy again) would be Incognito and Urbik. I think that the more likely scenario is Incognito and someone like Boling or whichever Saints guard gets released (which I expect for cap reason). I still think that the big money signing will be Revis.

Just curious, why do you think signing RI means Iupati is out? Do you really think Revis will be available? The Pats** have something similar to a one-year franchise option on him.

I know people like to say "we can't spend that kind of money on a guard" in terms of Iupati, but I think that is a little short sighted. We are paying our starting QB peanuts. As long as we are not putting a lot of money into the QB position, we should be able to pay for the best free agent offensive lineman available.

If we sign Iupati to say a 4 or 5 year deal for big bucks, by the time we draft and develop a QB, and that QB is ready for his big contract, the Iupati contract and other big contracts will be coming off the books.

I am in favor of signing Iupati. Then you have Glenn, Iupati, Wood, Igcognito most likey, Henderson/Free Agent. I think it would be a good idea to bring in a mid tier vet at tackle who will give Henderson some cometition if training camp for the RT position and provide depth. Those players to me along with improved coaching could be one of the best lines in the league and the difference between 9-7 and 11-5/12-4.

Conrad Dobler is too old ......

Okay, assuming we sign Incognito, who is the 2nd toughest guard that the Bills can pick up ?

Laugh if you want but the Bills won't be done after signing Richy....there will be another guy coming

So, you really think that the Bills won't rest after signing a guy on the wrong side of 30 who hasn't played a down of football in a year & a half?

So, you really think that the Bills won't rest after signing a guy on the wrong side of 30 who hasn't played a down of football in a year & a half?

Guards play till 35 some longer. What is the Wrong side of 30 ? Incognito will be 32 this year?

We still need one more guard...

Edited by HOUSE

Just curious, why do you think signing RI means Iupati is out? Do you really think Revis will be available? The Pats** have something similar to a one-year franchise option on him.

I just never was convinced that the Bills big money signing was going to be an OG. Whaley has tried to find guys with some upside (Richardson, Chris Williams) when selecting or signing guards. I think that Incognito fits that mold as well. He is a low floor (character reasons), high ceiling (talented player). I think that the next guy will be a little more stable that they can depend on as a starter. My feeling is that Iupati's price tag is going to be significantly higher than the other guards on the market. My guess is that they go after the next tier whether it be Grubbs, Jahri Evans (one will be released I presume) or Boling.

In terms of Revis he will hit the market I believe. He has always chased the $. The Pats won't be keeping him at that number. Unless they blow him away with an offer (which isn't the Pats style) he will see what's out there. Rex wants him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I know people like to say "we can't spend that kind of money on a guard" in terms of Iupati, but I think that is a little short sighted. We are paying our starting QB peanuts. As long as we are not putting a lot of money into the QB position, we should be able to pay for the best free agent offensive lineman available.

If we sign Iupati to say a 4 or 5 year deal for big bucks, by the time we draft and develop a QB, and that QB is ready for his big contract, the Iupati contract and other big contracts will be coming off the books.

I am in favor of signing Iupati. Then you have Glenn, Iupati, Wood, Igcognito most likey, Henderson/Free Agent. I think it would be a good idea to bring in a mid tier vet at tackle who will give Henderson some cometition if training camp for the RT position and provide depth. Those players to me along with improved coaching could be one of the best lines in the league and the difference between 9-7 and 11-5/12-4.

Agree.

Regards tying up money on the guard spot... I think it's fair to say that the guard position cost us the playoffs last year. If money was short, and good QBs were on the FA market, I might think differently. But guard is a place where we can realize a substantial bang for the buck. Our economy guards are killing us. Let's open the purse strings.