Attn Breaking Bad Fans: Better Call Saul begins Sun 2/8 10pm

PromoTheRobot

I loved the episode, especially the Bingo scene. LMAO at "Chicago sunroof."

The only odd thing for me at the end is why did he walk away from a legit career in law? Obviously Marco was on his mind. (Indicated by Jimmy still wearing the ring.) Was it that Chuck was right? That he'll always be "Slippin' Jimmy?" That no matter how hard he'd try to be a legit lawyer, people would still look down on him?

It's not "Chuck was right" as much as "Chuck still exerts a hell of an influence." Which is typical Vince Gilligan - character influences and motivations are never directly expressed (e.g. Walter White claiming everything was for his family, when it was all about his pride and ego.)

If you go back and watch the season, the last two episodes put everything in a different light. There's no brotherly love between Chuck and Jimmy...Chuck is always manipulating things to keep Jimmy from being successful (right down to the insistence that Jimmy must start out as a public defender, for the necessary experience.) And Jimmy is an easy mark, because 1) his expectation is that Chuck wants to help him, and 2) his admiration for Chuck (why else did Jimmy become a lawyer?)

Jimmy walks away from a legitimate career because he finally realized that ultimately he was still trying to get his big brother's respect ("What will Chuck think?") Walking away is the first choice he makes that's about him and not Chuck.

Typical Vince Gilligan, too...tell you a story, then at the end of the season tell you your interpretation of it is wrong.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odenkirk is absolutely the perfect actor for this role. He has such passion for his character and he takes us through the twists and turns of the storyline like a Formula One driver going up and down the gears in a Grand Prix.

Odenkirk is absolutely the perfect actor for this role. He has such passion for his character and he takes us through the twists and turns of the storyline like a Formula One driver going up and down the gears in a Grand Prix.

He had me convinced that that coin was really worth $800.

DC Tom has this one right. Everything Jimmy did after Chuck bailed him out was to gain Chuck's approval and respect. After being slapped in the face by how much Chuck doesn't respect him -- particularly after all Jimmy had done for him -- he finally made a choice for himself.

Jimmy died during that last scene (or contracted a fatal illness)...and Saul was conceived.

Great season; I plan on watching all of them again right before S2 starts up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...