Attn Breaking Bad Fans: Better Call Saul begins Sun 2/8 10pm

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it delivers. I can't remember ever having a show that I have so much hope for, but at the same time, worry about it flopping. There's no middle ground here, this show is either going to boom or bust.

I don't have high expectations for it; generally, supporting characters don't translate well to their own shows. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

In one of the first few episodes of BB, a "Better Call Saul" ad plays on the TV when Walter White's watching. Well before Saul is even introduced. That right there said a lot about how Vince Gilligan made the show.

I don't have high expectations for it; generally, supporting characters don't translate well to their own shows. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

It does feel somewhat similar to Frasier. You've got a supporting character who wasn't there when the show started but became a big part of it. He's coming from a completely different background so it could potentially go a completely different way than the original series. The prequel setup is the big trap though. They're handcuffed a bit on where they can take him.

I'll gladly admit though that this is just me blindly searching for reason to feel pumped for this show.

I watched the series "primer" last night; it was about four minutes long with commentary from Odenkirk, Gilligan, and some other dude. I hate to get my hopes up but it really looks promising. The start of the series apparently takes place six years before Saul meets Walter White -- but the setting is Albuquerque so the possibility of cameos from any of the other BB cast will be there from the get-go.

It does feel somewhat similar to Frasier. You've got a supporting character who wasn't there when the show started but became a big part of it. He's coming from a completely different background so it could potentially go a completely different way than the original series. The prequel setup is the big trap though. They're handcuffed a bit on where they can take him.

I'll gladly admit though that this is just me blindly searching for reason to feel pumped for this show.

It can't go that differently, though. Since (1) he has to end up associated with Gus Fring, and (2) If you've seen the previews, you'd know he meets Mike Ehrmentraut in the first episode. So right there, they've imposed some serious constraints on the direction of the series - whatever side-tracks they take, right from the pilot the series is aimed at teaming with Fring.

And there's going to be some interesting fleshing out of Fring's back-story down the line too, I'll bet. And Tio Salamanca, as well.

In one of the first few episodes of BB, a "Better Call Saul" ad plays on the TV when Walter White's watching. Well before Saul is even introduced. That right there said a lot about how Vince Gilligan made the show.

Vince is why you don't need to worry about the spin off being poor. He's mind-blowingly brilliant when it comes to storytelling, it's almost not fair. Expecting it to live up to Breaking Bad is asking too much of anyone, regardless, the new show will be entertaining and worth the watch.

It can't go that differently, though. Since (1) he has to end up associated with Gus Fring, and (2) If you've seen the previews, you'd know he meets Mike Ehrmentraut in the first episode. So right there, they've imposed some serious constraints on the direction of the series - whatever side-tracks they take, right from the pilot the series is aimed at teaming with Fring.

And there's going to be some interesting fleshing out of Fring's back-story down the line too, I'll bet. And Tio Salamanca, as well.

Have they given a time frame for when all of this is happening? Hopefully it's enough time so that there are plenty of struggles before he becomes Saul Goodman.

Have they given a time frame for when all of this is happening? Hopefully it's enough time so that there are plenty of struggles before he becomes Saul Goodman.

The year most of the action takes place is 2004, I think. Whatever year year it is, it's 6 years before the events of Breaking Bad.

As for DC's worry that the show is locked in, never fear with Vince Gillian. The show will actually slide back and forth in time, just as BB did. In fact it's supposed to start in the present day.