Attn Breaking Bad Fans: Better Call Saul begins Sun 2/8 10pm

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they didnt shy away from Breaking Bad at all....

spoilers:

1st season was obviously the result of a call for vacuum repair and also a play on making meth (making cinnabons)

Same diner where Hank tried to flip Skyler

Same nail salon Saul later tries to get Jessie to buy for laundering

Mike

Tuco

Who knows whatever other easter eggs may be laid about only the true nerds will pick up on.

I love that opening scene. Its like BB in its heavy mystery. He was in Omaha, working at Cinnabon. Lived in a nice place. Still waiting for someone to kill him... paranoid his identity would be revealed (by drawing the blinds to watch the commercials)

Edited by May Day 10

they didnt shy away from Breaking Bad at all....

spoilers:

1st season was obviously the result of a call for vacuum repair and also a play on making meth (making cinnabons)

Same diner where Hank tried to flip Skyler

Same nail salon Saul later tries to get Jessie to buy for laundering

Mike

Tuco

Who knows whatever other easter eggs may be laid about only the true nerds will pick up on.

I love that opening scene. Its like BB in its heavy mystery. He was in Omaha, working at Cinnabon. Lived in a nice place. Still waiting for someone to kill him... paranoid his identity would be revealed (by drawing the blinds to watch the commercials)

The show is shot in the same place so it makes a lot of sense we see some of the same sets. That diner was used a lot in BB.

I wasn't too crazy about the episode, but that may just be because it was a long weekend. It did start to get good right at the end though. I look forward to tonight's follow up because before even seeing Tuco in the previews, I was already interested.

I just hope people enjoy the show for what it is, and don't get all bent out of shape if it isn't "Breaking Bad". Odendkirk and McKeon are both terrific, and while I understand the trepidation some have with a spin-off series, I don't think Vince Gilligan would do it, if it wasn't up to his standards. Originally, he wasn't going to be heavily involved with the day to days of the show, but then get excited about it, and plunged back into it. Very promising start in my opinion.

Only thing I didn't like was the introduction of Tuco so early. We basically get one episode of developing Jimmy McGill before he starts dealing with the cartel and presumably, by extension, Gus Fring. It would have been better to introduce Tuco 3 or 4 episodes in, to give more time to develop "Jim McGill" as a characterization on his own. Introducing Tuco in Ep. 1...we don't get a truly solid sense of where "Saul Goodman" evolves from.

The cold open was awesome, though. Good writing, directing, and performance by Odenkirk in that alone - he conveyed a lot without saying a anything.

BTW, Amazon has this episode "on sale" for Prime customers, if you want to own it. And by "on sale," I mean "free."

I think the show will get good, started off slow but should get better.

Would rather see a new show with Walter White, where he gets ups from being shot after we think he is dead and starts somewhere new.

The only reason we are watching this is because we want more Breaking Bad. I think a show about Walter would be better and would get more viewers.

Would rather see a new show with Walter White, where he gets ups from being shot after we think he is dead and starts somewhere new.

The only reason we are watching this is because we want more Breaking Bad. I think a show about Walter would be better and would get more viewers.

A show about pre Walter would be pretty boring. It would be like Malcolm in the Middle. Post Breaking Bad he is dead or fatally shot (he couldn't move) and eventually would be in jail, so there isn't much of a story there either.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

A show about pre Walter would be pretty boring. It would be like Malcolm in the Middle. Post Breaking Bad he is dead or fatally shot (he couldn't move) and eventually would be in jail, so there isn't much of a story there either.

I didn't say prequal, and breaking out of jail worked tremendously for prison break and then eventually he becomes an organized crime boss which always works for many shows.

White Walk Empire sounds good to me.

I just watched the final episodes leading up to the Saul encore. The selfish part of me absolutely wants more Walter. The reasonable me knows it was the perfect ending and any subsequent episodes would diminish or ruin the entire series. The Saul prequel is enough of a tangent to satisfy but not bastardize the BB legacy

C'mon don't you want more Walter? You can't tell me you wouldn't watch.

I just watched the final episodes leading up to the Saul encore. The selfish part of me absolutely wants more Walter. The reasonable me knows it was the perfect ending and any subsequent episodes would diminish or ruin the entire series. The Saul prequel is enough of a tangent to satisfy but not bastardize the BB legacy

since when is tv reasonable , that's one of the places where dreams come true and fantasies happen. :D

What if the new show was even better?

Speak for yourself. The initial BCS episode broke records for most watched series premiere. Yes, Breaking Bad fans are watching, in part, because of their familiarity with the characters, but I believe most are not expecting (nor wishing for) "Breaking Bad II." Those I've spoken with are worried, in fact, that the show will try too much to be a repeat of BB.

I believe it's reasonable to suggest Gilligan might throw in a completely benign WW cameo at some point, but his character has absolutely no relevance to the BCS plot line for another six years.

Tonight on an all new crossover episode of the Walking Dead...

I believe it's reasonable to suggest Gilligan might throw in a completely benign WW cameo at some point, but his character has absolutely no relevance to the BCS plot line for another six years.

Maybe Saul goes for a car wash.

And I'm thinking somewhere along the line when Saul is walking thru a courthouse or police station we'll see Jesse cuffed to a chair or Badger in a cheesy suit outside a courtroom. Or an occasional visit from DEA agents Hank or Gomez

I thought last night was a homerun.

The desert scene was great. The back and forth between McGill and Tuco negotiating the bodily harm on those skateboarders was both hilarious and intense.

I also like the direction its going.... kind of tying a few things together to move forward. That is one of the things BB did so well. There was almost no wasted time/loose ends. Everything had their place to advance the plot.