Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

they aren't going to sign 3 OL in FA. However, I don't know why you responded to me in particular to talk about signing OL and TE and RB. My post was about the QB position only, and in response to only spending that kind of money on a QB. I have said repeatedly they need a G, TE and RB. Though I think the RB and TE should come via draft.

Why arent they going to sign 3OL? They might not all be top flight guys but I can easily see them bringing in 3 guys to compete (hopefully at least two of them are legit starters.) Nobody in that front office has any delusions about the quality of the OL.

And my response to you was because I generally just pick a post thats representative of the other side as opposed to quoting a bunch of posts. That particular one probably wasn't the best example I could pull. Mistakes were made.

I like Rex as a coach but if they bring in Revis hes heading right down the same path he did with the Jets. Paying attention to one side of the ball and hoping its good enough to cover the other. And Ihave no doubt if Revis is brought in its because Rex wants him. Granted, these reports could be nothing more than speculation of people connecting the Revis and Rex dots.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why arent they going to sign 3OL? They might not all be top flight guys but I can easily see them bringing in 3 guys to compete (hopefully at least two of them are legit starters.) Nobody in that front office has any delusions about the quality of the OL.

And my response to you was because I generally just pick a post thats representative of the other side as opposed to quoting a bunch of posts. That particular one probably wasn't the best example I could pull. Mistakes were made.

I like Rex as a coach but if they bring in Revis hes heading right down the same path he did with the Jets. Paying attention to one side of the ball and hoping its good enough to cover the other. And Ihave no doubt if Revis is brought in its because Rex wants him. Granted, these reports could be nothing more than speculation of people connecting the Revis and Rex dots.

I think they will play Kuandjio at one guard position, sign a relatively strong FA who will start at the other G position, and the other 3 starters will be the same as last year. They will probably keep Chris Williams and Cyril Richardson for depth. More importantly the scheme will change as this group was not suited for a ZBS. This is obviously JMO of what I think they will do (not what they should do, as I don't scout these guys). One G in FA of iupati/Boling caliber.

I think they will play Kuandjio at one guard position, sign a relatively strong FA who will start at the other G position, and the other 3 starters will be the same as last year. They will probably keep Chris Williams and Cyril Richardson for depth. More importantly the scheme will change as this group was not suited for a ZBS. This is obviously JMO of what I think they will do (not what they should do, as I don't scout these guys). One G in FA of iupati/Boling caliber.

I actually don't think any of us know, I don't even think Roman and Kromer know, what kind of talent we have on our OL, and they won't know until training camp and preseason is over. I expect we will sign on real starter at OG, and who knows after that.

I think its much more likely that Williams is pencilled in as a starter than Kuandjio. Personally, I hope neither sees the field unless Kuandjio is markedly better and i still think hes too tall for a G. Getting low enough in the middle of the line will be a tough task for him. He is a better fit at RT.

My worst fear is that Whaley convinces himself Williams will magically be better than hes been his entire career and only adress one G position while hoping either Kuandjio or Henderson distinguish themselves at RT. This team needs 2 new starters at G and a decent vet brought in to compete at RT.

Sure the scheme is going to change but Roman himself said he likes OL who are big but who can also pull and get outside. That doesnt describe many of the Bills OL.

But Whaley makes the picks

"he is likely to want the money (and draft picks) to go there first and foremost."

I know Whaley makes the picks, that's why I mentioned him in my previous post.

You don't think Ryan has any input?

You don't think power struggles between GM's and coaches over these kinds of decisions happen all the time?

Do you know how much input/influence may have been promised to Ryan in these kinds of decisions?

Revis is scheduled to make $20M this year. You guys don't even want to give Hughes $10M. Bills will likely have to pony up $10-15M/year for openers. I don't see any realistic way we could afford Revis, Hughes, and Dareus, given the king's ransom we're already paying Super Mario. For the Bills to get Revis, something's gotta give.

Revis is scheduled to make $20M this year. You guys don't even want to give Hughes $10M. Bills will likely have to pony up $10-15M/year for openers. I don't see any realistic way we could afford Revis, Hughes, and Dareus, given the king's ransom we're already paying Super Mario. For the Bills to get Revis, something's gotta give.

This~ :thumbsup: The Bills have how much cap space, 16 mill or something like that? To use that much money on a singular player for the #4 defense when the offense is so bad is just lame. The Bills need 3 of 5 improved on the o line, a QB,a TE, a RB who can carry the rock 250 times a year to make that ground and pound work.This Bills FO needs to comprehend that the offense needs to actually score to win games.

I guess watching Brady the last 15 years the Bills FO has embedded in their brains that they need to stop him or shut him down when very few team have done that. Ryan is 1-7 against Brady-Belichick in his last four years with the Jets...and almost doesn't count.

This~ :thumbsup: The Bills have how much cap space, 16 mill or something like that? To use that much money on a singular player for the #4 defense when the offense is so bad is just lame. The Bills need 3 of 5 improved on the o line, a QB,a TE, a RB who can carry the rock 250 times a year to make that ground and pound work.This Bills FO needs to comprehend that the offense needs to actually score to win games.

I guess watching Brady the last 15 years the Bills FO has embedded in their brains that they need to stop him or shut him down when very few team have done that. Ryan is 1-7 against Brady-Belichick in his last four years with the Jets...and almost doesn't count.

It will be over $20M. The Bills probably can't have Hughes AND Revis because of the $ that they need to put on offense. They would have no problem though getting one or the other and addressing the offense. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bad idea. Bills all ready have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. Revis is a big money player. Buffalo has far more pressing needs to spend money on and the secondary ain't it.

Would rather spend the money on Hughes

Would rather spend the money on Hughes

If Revis is truly available, he's the better bang for the buck. Ryan's defenses generate a rush without star edge rushers and it helps to eliminate one side of the field.

If the goal is to finally stop Pats*, then the premium should be on rushing and clogging up the middle.

We have 25 mil in cap space and if we restructure mario's deal I think that can open up something like 7 mil more. Plus we can release some guys. The main thought on not resigning hughes is that we think we can line just about anyone on the other end and he's gonna get some sacks. If we could offer revis like 2 years 25 mil all guaranteed he might bite at it. It would save us about 3.5 from what he made last year in NE but gives him an extra 9 mil in guaranteed money. Now we spend some coin on the line and depth at other spots. We have to save some room for dareus and glenn next year as well.

Not really. We have money, no QB. So spend it. Plus Gilmore only 1 year left.

This is kinda what I think. Signing him only hurts us if it prevents signing others who would help us more. Here is the exclusive list of things that would help us more than a CB of his caliber:

1) Good QB

2) Starting caliber OLmen (probably two of them)

#1 is a non-factor as good QBs aren't FAs, the opportunity cost is basically nil there.

#2 is more debateable. There are I guess a handful at most of them available, though signing them is no sure thing. And does our FO even know what a solid OLman looks like though [cough Chris Williams]?

It'd have to be a short-term deal 'cause he holds out every other year (it's just what he does) but yah, get er done.

I'd rather spend the money on a stud TE (D. Thomas) and/or Quality OL.

I think our CBs will be fine, especially with aggressive pass rush.

I agree. Nothing against Revis at all but to put $$$$ into that spot? It wouldn't be my first choice.

If it happened, the D sure would look good on paper......probably no Hughes, but Kiko should be back....

This is kinda what I think. Signing him only hurts us if it prevents signing others who would help us more. Here is the exclusive list of things that would help us more than a CB of his caliber:

1) Good QB

2) Starting caliber OLmen (probably two of them)

#1 is a non-factor as good QBs aren't FAs, the opportunity cost is basically nil there.

#2 is more debateable. There are I guess a handful at most of them available, though signing them is no sure thing. And does our FO even know what a solid OLman looks like though [cough Chris Williams]?

It'd have to be a short-term deal 'cause he holds out every other year (it's just what he does) but yah, get er done.

Other alternatives would include re-upping Dareus and/or Hughes. I think you can debate Hughes/Revis even with Revis costing more, but Dareus/Revis is a tougher debate in which to favor Revis.

Allen would be great. Those trades don't happen much but it's possible. I imagine McKelvin is probably considered a little better around the league than we give him credit for. He's in his prime. He's not overly priced. You don't want to build your defense around him obviously, but as a starting number 2 or 3 corner he is pretty valuable. Especially with kick return ability. You know as well as anyone the league values speed and natural talent and skills and playmaking ability a little more than average fans do.

Jack DelRio would try to get him. I remember before the Draft he was drooling all over McLovin'.