New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Patriots* are a national punchline.

That is far worse than losing a draft pick. Once people make up their minds that you're a cheater you never come back from it.

I seriously doubt the lose any fans. Those who don't like them will just hate them a little more. Or maybe a lot more. The divide will just grow.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may have been already said, can't believe that this thread is 111 pages long... but adjusting air pressure, yup their is a rule, has been going on for quite a while in the NFL from reports I have read and heard. So really the only big deal about it is the Brady obviously lied and Belicheat explicity condoned it with knowledge and therefore lied.

As far as the crime, it seems pretty minor and occurred largely because the Ravens were crying over not figuring out the eligible deal soon enough to defend it and let the Colts know about the rule that I bet Andrew Luck has violated. Still, I say give Belicheat and his gang all the grief they can handle over this I love to watch the bumbling NFL executives tripping once again over themselves in their handling of an issue that the press got traction with.

My only question now is are the games fixed and does the Superbowl minus the creative advertisements... less creative last year, mean anything for the sport. Somehow the two teams involved and the game seems tainted and almost unwatchable.

Edited by North Buffalo

This may have been already said, can't believe that this thread is 111 pages long... but adjusting air pressure, yup their is a rule, has been going on for quite a while in the NFL from reports I have read and heard. So really the only big deal about it is the Brady obviously lied and Belicheat explicity condoned it with knowledge and therefore lied.

That's why this thread is 111 pages long. Had the Pats left things alone, this wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. Three press conferences in three days, sprinkled with disingenuous lies, is not how you defuse an issue.

Bill Belicheat is still coaching the Cheatriots and many are still calling him the "Greatest of All-Time" despite several proven instances of rules violations.

John Harbaugh just called him the greatest HC of the generation at the Senior Bowl. He must be a huge pats fan.....

120 degree COMPrESSED air??? Compressing air makes it colder. You would need some serious equipment to make that happen. I say that is so unlikely it didn't happen. Zero % chance

Compressed air, and any other gas is warmer. Not colder.

You guys just won't let it go. At the end of all this I think there's going to be a lot of embarassed people in the public eye who called them out as cheaters and liars, without any facts. Frankly, what Belichick said made sense. It made sense that he would insist on walking through the process so he could understand what happened, given the hoopla. In a nutshell he said the preparation process (vigorous rubbing) raises the PSI by about a pound. They are then provided to the officials who are asked to inflate to 12.5 PSI. All that done at room temp. Once out in game temps (colder), you lose not only the initial one pound due to prep, but also another half. So you can be down about one and a half pounds (to 11 PSI or so). I suspect this will be proven to be possible - depending on the ball prep process, and it is by far the most probable explanation. Why weren't the Colts balls low too? I have to say that's a stupid question. Maybe they don't heat up the ball temp as much when they prep the balls, if at all. Maybe they ask for their balls to be set at the high side (13.5 PSI).

You guys just won't let it go. At the end of all this I think there's going to be a lot of embarassed people in the public eye who called them out as cheaters and liars, without any facts. Frankly, what Belichick said made sense. It made sense that he would insist on walking through the process so he could understand what happened, given the hoopla. In a nutshell he said the preparation process (vigorous rubbing) raises the PSI by about a pound. They are then provided to the officials who are asked to inflate to 12.5 PSI. All that done at room temp. Once out in game temps (colder), you lose not only the initial one pound due to prep, but also another half. So you can be down about one and a half pounds (to 11 PSI or so). I suspect this will be proven to be possible - depending on the ball prep process, and it is by far the most probable explanation. Why weren't the Colts balls low too? I have to say that's a stupid question. Maybe they don't heat up the ball temp as much when they prep the balls, if at all. Maybe they ask for their balls to be set at the high side (13.5 PSI).

He also said their way puts .5 on to it so it's only 1 pd difference, and nothing happened to the Colts balls. They rub them down, too. So his argument didn't make any sense at all.

cool story bro

Bellichick knew so little just a couple days ago...now he's a PhD

its just getting sad now

John Harbaugh just called him the greatest HC of the generation at the Senior Bowl. He must be a huge pats fan.....

so predictably, the NFL following standard damage control protocol now...force the other coaches players and owners to follow the script.

and theyre going to make martyrs out of scumbag cheaters.

lol get out of here with this crap.

cool story bro

Bellichick knew so little just a couple days ago...now he's a PhD

its just getting sad now

so predictably, the NFL following standard damage control protocol now...force the other coaches players and owners to follow the script.

and theyre going to make martyrs out of scumbag cheaters.

Man, nothing slips past you, bro.....

If they have been doing this for seasons (like the fumble counters suggest) and if it is so easy and obvious when a ball is deflated, how could the officials miss it? An official handles the ball before every play. Wouldn't there at least have been a warning, or an official that rejected a ball to be re-inflated, or SOME kind of prior instance that an official would let the "League Office" know about at some point in the investigation?

"Gee Boss, yeah, I remember a few times where I rejected a ball, because it didn't seem right". If there hasn't even been that kind of incident, then I really doubt they have been doing this for years on end.

OR

Maybe, just MAYBE, deflating the ball a little might just be a very common practice throughout the NFL (and college) that the officials turn a blind eye to, and the only reason the Pats got hassled is because a whiner like Harbaugh (those guys are just as insufferable as Belichick) made a big deal about it?

Edited by HoF Watkins