New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

I don't think this possibility of the properly inflated 12th ball has been mentioned: could it be that the punter would prefer a fully, even over inflated ball? I would think an under inflated ball wouldn't transfer near as much energy, resulting in shorter, lower hang time punts?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope brady plays like chit with what will certainly be properly inflated balls.

this is like the all villain super bowl.

the only good guy to cheer for is russell wilson

Can you imagine the uproar if Brady is inaccurate and they have a few fumbles?

No, I'm not. A guy gets caught with a corked bat a few times, they don't suspend the coach for a year, let alone the player. Or forfeit a series. Some of he penalties suggested have been way out of line. And this isn't anywhere near BountyGate.

A game suspension (baseball has way more games, so it's relative) wouldn't be out of line, IF they could prove who did it.

Yeah, that's fine. Read my posts first.

I think I'll take a pass.

WHere?I have responded to the same questions about 5 times each.

Here is my position....

First off, I was responding to someone's retort that the balls could be doctored on the field, using a pump pin, through sleight of hand. Go back and read it.

I also mentioned that if it happened within the stadium (as opposed to the field area), there would be cameras showing activity where the balls are kept, and I definitely believe that security cameras are on by that time. If the officials are there, security cameras would be on. They are probably on 24/7. Even if they only show who enters the room where they are kept, it would at least narrow it down to those people.

I never claimed that there wasn't enough time between when the officials test the balls and the game, to deflate them. I responded to the assertion that "it would only take a second" to accurately, and consistently deflate the balls during the game that quickly, and without there being some questioning of his motions at some point. There are tons of cameras on the field filming cheerleaders, the bench, the coaches, the HoF ex-players on the sidelines. Someone would have caught suspicious footage of a ballboy to bring forward.

I assume that it was done off the field. Peter King mentioned that he spent a pregame with an official and noted how seriously they took watching over the gameballs. Maybe you know more about the pregame ball treatment. You appear to have inside knowledge of the procedure, please tell me where you sourced this information? You may be an expert on the subject...don't keep it secret.

My position is that every NFL game has participants that are cheating on various levels. There are plenty of players using PED's, there coaches that have stolen signals, there are owners that have been in contact with other teams coaches, there are GM's that have been in contact with players approaching free agency, players that cheat on the concussion tests...on and on

And I don't feel that deflating the ball rates high on the cheating scale.That's right, I don't believe that every cheat is equal. I don't think jaywalking is the equal to murder, and I don't believe deflating a ball is as serious as throwing games, or targeting a player for injury rewards.

MY list looks about like this...

1. Throwing games, gambling.

2. Bribing officials

3. Conspiring to injure a player

4. Taping teams practices, bugging rooms... espionage.

5. Using PED's

6. Amplifying crowd noise through the PA

7. Negotiating with players, coaches, under contract to another team.

8. Fighting on the field

15 Deflating the ball

16. Late Hits

Do I believe someone from the Pats (probably Brady and his ballboy or the equipment manager. I don't think Belichick is involved) doctored the balls? I think that's most likely, but I certainly don't rule out a frame (or even a weird temperature change, I don't know the exact conditions for their balls at Gillette. They may be kept under different conditions than the opponents balls, too). The NFL is filled with guys just as driven as Belichick, that's why they have had all these kinds of rules in place...everyone is looking for an angle, and it's nothing new. Lawrence Taylor wrote about the opposition sending hookers and blow to his hotel room the night before games. Matt Bowen (ex-Bill) talks about teams sending people to scour the opposing teams hotel room for left behind game plans.That is the atmosphere that the people in the league operate in.

Any negative comments from rivals and ex-players (particular from those competing for the "Best Ever" title) are hard to consider impartial, so I don't care what Mark Brunell, Jerry Rice (smuggest of all time), or Troy Aikman (America's Favorite Homer) say. So much jealousy, and pettiness there (just like the fans here).

I feel a heavy fine would be enough, but if the league wants to satisfy the bloodlust of the crowd, a short suspension, or the loss of a draft pick or 2 would be fine. Disqualifying them from the Super Bowl...ridiculous. There is no proof that this was anything more than a single game transgression. In my opinion it is the officials responsibility to keep the ball regulation, and if they didn't catch them in the prior games, it's too late.

There is already a fine in place for this transgression ( Starts at $25,000 someone said. That gives you a good idea where it ranks. This case is on the extreme end, but to leap from that, to "suspend the coach for a year", is way out of line)

If some want to strut around, and claim that the Pats were never that great, that is fine, but this doesn't change my opinion of them. I gain no pleasure from it. The only pleasure I will get is when the Bills stamp all over the Pats with Brady. If I find out later that EJM had deflated a ball, it won't take a bit of satisfaction away from me. It's the game within the game.

Edited by HoF Watkins, Today, 03:13 AM.

Holy crap - good thing I took a pass.

First half, NE scores only 17 points with under inflated balls.

Second half, NE scores 28 points, Brady comes out 8/8 and goes 12/14 and Blount runs wild with properly inflated balls.

NE should fire the guy who deflated the balls, thus significantly slowing down their offense in the first half....

The most likely guilty party in all of this is the guy handling the footballs; so Brady. Any smoking gun will, if it shows up, involve him. If it does show up, then the case is closed.

If nothing shows up, the league is in a bind. Should they choose to employ the relaxed "burden of proof" that you speak of and cast blame on Brady, without full proof, the league had better prepare itself for a defamation suit. Brady has ample $ to afford hiring a who's who team of the hottest lawyers in existence to battle things out in court. Faced with the very real possibility of losing, I can't imagine the league would touch this with a 10 foot pole.

I would say theres a greater chance of the league being able to prove that he cheated than his defamation suit even making it to court.

I have trouble reading websites from the 90's. Couldn't even make it to the first post.

http://www.patsfans....-again.1115247/

If you can stand the ancient website, the content is a sociological study in and of itself: the Pats fans are already crying that the calls in the SB will go the Seahawks way and ensure that they win.

When they get the flags and tuck rules, it's a dynasty. They get caught cheating then scream that the game will not be an even playing field. Honestly, they are a disgusting and delusional fan base of front runners and cry babies. 90% of them were nowhere to be found when that team was perennially horrible. Zero class...

"fawkin cheetaz"

I have a bad feeling they're not going to do Within the last 3 days I someone post Roger Goodell's letter to the competition committee he wrote right after Spygate that basically said that from here on out the league was going to significantly relax the "burden of proof" required of the league when dealing with these matters. I have a feeling the words in that letter are going to splashed all over the internet when the league claims they don't have the evidence to punish the pats.

Does anyone have a link to that letter or what it said? I'm driving myself crazy trying to find it on google.

The quote you are looking for is here in the last 2 or 3 paragraphs: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-reaction-of-nfl-coaches-bill-belichick-press-conference/

kj

The most likely guilty party in all of this is the guy handling the footballs; so Brady. Any smoking gun will, if it shows up, involve him. If it does show up, then the case is closed.

If nothing shows up, the league is in a bind. Should they choose to employ the relaxed "burden of proof" that you speak of and cast blame on Brady, without full proof, the league had better prepare itself for a defamation suit. Brady has ample $ to afford hiring a who's who team of the hottest lawyers in existence to battle things out in court. Faced with the very real possibility of losing, I can't imagine the league would touch this with a 10 foot pole.

I strongly disagree. Absent an individual to definitively pin this on, the league can and should punish the organization. There is evidence that cheating happened and the only people in position to do it were patriot employees. The only reason we don't know which one is stonewalling and evasive answers to investigators' questions.

Therefore, punish the organization.

The appropriate punishment for me: Loss of draft picks at minimum and a suspension for the org leader, Belichick.

kj

News flash ........ Colts ball boy says he did it.

Link?

Cnn using 13.5 vs 10.5 and not easily distinguished (despite being the gap from accused to the TOP end of the legal range).

Didn't see it myself, but thought I read somewhere that Mark Brunell's did something similar and was able to easily tell a ball at 11 psi each time.

Link?

Didn't see it myself, but thought I read somewhere that Mark Brunell's did something similar and was able to easily tell a ball at 11 psi each time.

The only Brunell thing I heard was them giving him one under one over and one legal and he could put them in order.

If it takes being a professional qb for that, I think it atleast says its a subtle difference (which still impacts) but not some soft squishy ball that some picture by comparison

I'm predicting the Seahawks to win 31-13. Prior to the controversy, I was predicting Seattle winning 26-17. I also think that the Pats will be getting absolutely zero favors from the refs. I expect Seattle's DBs to have free rein to hold throughout the game.

On the contrary, I now think there will be a similar score, but with the Pats winning. Remember the season after spygate? The Pats put the petal to the metal and crushed everyone they played. No slowdown no matter how big their lead. They were making a point, that they didn't need to cheat to win. I see the same thing happening here - it's kind of their only way to say to the world - we truly were the best team in the NFL, no matter the ball pressure.

The quote you are looking for is here in the last 2 or 3 paragraphs: http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-reaction-of-nfl-coaches-bill-belichick-press-conference/

Yes thank you. If the league tries to claim they don't have enough evidence every news org in the world will be splashing this quote around.

Cnn using 13.5 vs 10.5 and not easily distinguished (despite being the gap from accused to the TOP end of the legal range).

I doubt anyone at CNN has ever played football, let alone QB. I wouldn't expect every random Joe to notice a difference.

Yes thank you. If the league tries to claim they don't have enough evidence every news org in the world will be splashing this quote around.

I doubt anyone at CNN has ever played football, let alone QB. I wouldn't expect every random Joe to notice a difference.

Early in this some posters were acting like it should be visually obvious, and now exaggerated to 3 lbs it takes a professional handling-- I think that's atleast worth noting in the narrative. Heck, even with the fumble stats - are we saying something an average joe can't feel is creating the type of gap many are saying proves it?