New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad they didn't just come out and admit it. Because now if the league does find them guilty it'll be a much, much bigger deal because of the lying and deceit. Even when Spygate happened they fessed up. This time it's been nothing but denial.

No way they confess in the run up to a SB when they can deflect and draw things out past the game. The NFL more than happy to oblige them, as are the owners, tv networks and sponsors.

It's because of Spygate; they know that any violation of the rules (cheating) on their part is endgame for their "dynasty". Hoodie hoists another Lombardi while engulfed in (another) controversy, then retires with his middle finger up. Goodell that C-NT won't take anything away from them, and they know it.

seems the fumble issue is coming to light

The New England Patriots have a suspiciously low fumble rate

magnets in their gloves? (sarc)

That was brought up in this thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175712-interesting-analysis-of-fumbles-by-team/?p=3438768

One can marginalize to a point how much of an advantage the passer and pass catcher would have in a game using a soft football. But it unquestionably gives a runner a great advantage in nesting the ball and keeping it away from the defense.

To me that's the most damning facet of this controversy.

The League is going to do nothing to the Pats* until after the SB.

This has been a dreadful year for the NFL with respect to PR. Goodell's made a lot of enemies and it remains to be seen if he can weather many other storms.

But it unquestionably gives a runner a great advantage in nesting the ball and keeping it away from the defense.

i think the questionable part is the word "great" before advantage. its questionable on several fronts --

1) how great an advantage it really is. if the average person holding the ball can struggle to tell... well... is it 1 less fumble every 2 games, or 2 seasons, or?

2) if lots of teams are doing it, what is the advantage vs the rest of the league?

Edited by NoSaint

i think the questionable part is the word "great" before advantage. its questionable on several fronts --

1) how great an advantage it really is. if the average person holding the ball can struggle to tell... well... is it 1 less fumble every 2 games, or 2 seasons, or?

2) if lots of teams are doing it, what is the advantage vs the rest of the league?

I can't make sense out of your #1. But have you ever held and NFL regulation football? They're hard as hell and slippery too. Deflate them a couple of pounds and it's like putting a handle on the ball. GREAT advantage to the ball carrier IMHO. GREAT.

WRT #2 - who says "Lots of teams are doing it? I haven't heard that at all. I'm sure there's some skullduggery that goes on, but what we're discussing here is a systematic program to circumvent the rules. That points a dagger at the integrity of the League and the game itself.

That was brought up in this thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175712-interesting-analysis-of-fumbles-by-team/?p=3438768

One can marginalize to a point how much of an advantage the passer and pass catcher would have in a game using a soft football. But it unquestionably gives a runner a great advantage in nesting the ball and keeping it away from the defense.

To me that's the most damning facet of this controversy.

The League is going to do nothing to the Pats* until after the SB.

This has been a dreadful year for the NFL with respect to PR. Goodell's made a lot of enemies and it remains to be seen if he can weather many other storms.

So maybe Tommy boy was being more honest than Brunell and others think. This puts the focus back on Belichek imo, and makes this whole "deflate-gate" thing more of systemic decision for the team than for Brady to pass the ball. Brady probably could care less if the ball is 11 psi or 13. It's Belichek's way of bending the rules once again as far as he can while trying to give his team an advantage. I'm sure he is well aware of the Stats regarding fumbling when they use lower PSI footballs.

I can't make sense out of your #1. But have you ever held and NFL regulation football? They're hard as hell and slippery too. Deflate them a couple of pounds and it's like putting a handle on the ball. GREAT advantage to the ball carrier IMHO. GREAT.

WRT #2 - who says "Lots of teams are doing it? I haven't heard that at all. I'm sure there's some skullduggery that goes on, but what we're discussing here is a systematic program to circumvent the rules. That points a dagger at the integrity of the League and the game itself.

1) weve seen several clips on tv where anchors have said they cant tell the difference between the two balls, and you are arguing that it is like putting a handle on the ball. not sure i buy that extreme take.

2) it seems theres a non-reaction among coaches. we also have another qb saying he likes to overinflate them for his own feel. we also have a college incident. there certainly is some degree of acknowledgement starting to build that this isnt unique, but we dont know how wide spread.