New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so they have video. I guess my claim that they should have some kind of footage with suspicious behavior wasn't so "absurd".

Except that your claim was that there was no evidence of wrong doing because they had no video. Which was absurd.

So the Patriots are going to blame this guy and say he was actually trying to sabotage the team from the inside, since obviously they did well with the fully inflated balls in the 2nd half and Tom has already said "no one should mess with them after they're picked". Call him a disgruntled employee and move on. Right?

I noticed BB was careful to say that they give them to the ref and have no idea what happens until they are in play

That's why I think it has to be the NFL has nothing or the NFL has everything. If it was anywhere in between they would have made a statement right away trying to temper expectations or quiet the public roar a little bit. Because by staying quiet for this long, they're either going to be completely embarrassed when they announce they have no proof or completely vindicated and celebrated when they announce they'd made the biggest cheating bust in almost a decade.

i dont think theres a ton to hide.... if they have the pressure measurements pre game, the guy handling the balls out of the ordinary, and then the balls low pretty soon after (didnt even make it to halftime)... they could hammer the pats just like they did the saints for various institutional control, and non-cooperation penalties. i thought they got crazy with it then, but there is precedent for it now.

but they would not want the saints style push back the week before the super bowl. ill still guess large fine and day 2 draft pick, but they have very much surprised me before.

1) weve seen several clips on tv where anchors have said they cant tell the difference between the two balls, and you are arguing that it is like putting a handle on the ball. not sure i buy that extreme take.

2) it seems theres a non-reaction among coaches. we also have another qb saying he likes to overinflate them for his own feel. we also have a college incident. there certainly is some degree of acknowledgement starting to build that this isnt unique, but we dont know how wide spread.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12206777

To paraphrase the conversation - if you can't or don't care to watch the video:

"What advantage does (the under-inflated ball give?"

Mark Brunell:"The grip. I could dig my fingers into it. With this ball, I could throw it further, I could throw it more accurate.

"As a receiver, or ball carrier - what advantage does it give you?"

Gerome Bettis: "As a receiver, not so much. But as a ball carrier - a huge difference because now when I tuck this, it's going to be harder for you to take it away from me."

Also quoted is Terrence Mathis who says it would be harder to take the under-inflated ball away from a ball carrier.

You obviously didn't read the original post's link from the original thread on this subject either.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

Here's a brief snippet:

"As you can see, the Patriots won their Super Bowls having a below average rate of fumbles lost given today’s average of 105 plays/game. But in 2007, something happened to propel them to a much better rate (you’ll remember, that just so happened to be the same year they went 16-0 in the regular season). But even looking at these numbers, its clear how insane the 187 number is: they are almost running 100 MORE plays without a single fumble as compared to the 2002-2006 period when they won 2 of their 3 Super Bowls."

The entire article shoots holes in your argument(s) and the immaculate facade the Pats* are portraying.

i dont think theres a ton to hide.... if they have the pressure measurements pre game, the guy handling the balls out of the ordinary, and then the balls low pretty soon after (didnt even make it to halftime)... they could hammer the pats just like they did the saints for various institutional control, and non-cooperation penalties. i thought they got crazy with it then, but there is precedent for it now.

but they would not want the saints style push back the week before the super bowl. ill still guess large fine and day 2 draft pick, but they have very much surprised me before.

My guess is that they had the video and they just needed a confession from the ballboy, possibly implicating one of the coaches or Brady. Because having those two pieces of proof would allow them to absolutely eviscerate the Patriots.

Here's my theory on how this went down:

1. League figures out what happened; tells Patriots to come clean and apologize and the penalty will be less.

2. Belichick holds PC, says he knows nothing, ask Tommy.

3. Tommy holds PC, says he doesn't know anything either.

4. League calls Patriots, says obviously you didn't hear us the first time; we'll give you one more chance.

5. Belichick holds second PC, spins wild scientific theory out of pure horseshit, basically dares league to show its hand.

6. We just saw the first card.

Edited by BRH

I have actually already seen one Pats fan theorize that the ball boy was paid to set up the Patriots.

and the greatest quarterback of all time did not notice the balls were underinflated ?

Pats fans cannot go with this "theory"

I have actually already seen one Pats fan theorize that the ball boy was paid to set up the Patriots.

Now that's juicy! Imagine the dramatic possibilities if it was indeed Steve Belichick who was behind it. Bitter son goes behind his father's back in an attempt to set up the *pats and tarnish his father's legacy.

Sounds like a great ABC Family drama.

and the greatest quarterback of all time did not notice the balls were underinflated ?

Pats fans cannot go with this "theory"

I said this up thread a bit too, but I still think it's interesting that BB basically said 'Ask Tom, I don't know.' right after the Pats* restructured Tom's contract to make him cheaper to cut. They are famous for cutting ties a year or two early, though this is obviously far fetched

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I said this up thread a bit too, but I still think it's interesting that BB basically said 'Ask Tom, I don't know.' right after the Pats* restructured Tom's contract to make him cheaper to cut. They are famous for cutting ties a year or two early, though this is obviously far fetched

It would be the most Bellichick-like move of Bellichick's entire career to get rid of Brady a year or two before people expect. I've been saying all season it's going to happen sooner than people think.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

If we can prove Jay Z is a Hawks fan I think we can wrap this whole thing up before the NFL does.

:lol: I just love that because it's SUCH a stretch, even for conspiracy theorists. I wonder how many different ways they tried to make Blue Ivory an anagram before they landed on that one... however many ways they tried, they needed to keep going.