New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Here is the scapegoat:

JayGlazer

@JayGlazer

Breaking news: sources tell @FOXSports the NFL has zeroed in on a locker room attendant w Patriots who allegedly took balls from officials locker room to another area on way to field. Sources say they have interviewed him and additionally have video. Still gauging if any wrong doing occurred with him but he is strong person of interest

Well...that part was good.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just your claim that they still have video. No video is safe in NFL hands.

Good point.

I mean if it WAS found that the Patriots have been deflating balls for years would anyone really be surprised? The Patriots have been able to maintain an almost impossible streak of winning even as things around them fell apart after their amazing 2007 season. Digging into stats like fumbles and passing in bad weather it's clear they were performing at a level a 37-year-old QB with far worse receivers shouldn't be, even if it's Tom Brady. I mean you can watch the Patriots and SEE that they're not as good as they were back then, yet they still keep winning. Not even Bellichick and Brady are THAT good. They've whiffed on plenty of high draft picks, a lot of their key star players are getting really old, they've gone through a bazillian RBs, yet they're ALWAYS good even when you can watch individual players play and see they're not individually as good as they used to be.

Scapegoat ?

He is an employee of the New England Patriots.

The balls were altered.

NO ONE would believe this employee took it upon himself to alter the NE game balls before the AFC Championship game without instruction.

The crazy thing about this entire situation is the absolute silence by the NFL. Not one statement. DO THEY BELIEVE THIS IS JUST GOING TO GO AWAY?

So, lets say the Patriots win the Superbowl. How does Roger hand them the Lombardi trophy? The image of the NFL will forever be tarnished.

That was brought up in this thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175712-interesting-analysis-of-fumbles-by-team/?p=3438768

One can marginalize to a point how much of an advantage the passer and pass catcher would have in a game using a soft football. But it unquestionably gives a runner a great advantage in nesting the ball and keeping it away from the defense.

To me that's the most damning facet of this controversy.

I really wish Bryce Brown had a ball like that during the Chiefs game.

Good point.

I mean if it WAS found that the Patriots have been deflating balls for years would anyone really be surprised? The Patriots have been able to maintain an almost impossible streak of winning even as things around them fell apart after their amazing 2007 season. Digging into stats like fumbles and passing in bad weather it's clear they were performing at a level a 37-year-old QB with far worse receivers shouldn't be, even if it's Tom Brady. I mean you can watch the Patriots and SEE that they're not as good as they were back then, yet they still keep winning. Not even Bellichick and Brady are THAT good. They've whiffed on plenty of high draft picks, a lot of their key star players are getting really old, they've gone through a bazillian RBs, yet they're ALWAYS good even when you can watch individual players play and see they're not individually as good as they used to be.

all it takes is 2 PSI.....

The crazy thing about this entire situation is the absolute silence by the NFL. Not one statement. DO THEY BELIEVE THIS IS JUST GOING TO GO AWAY?

Staying this silent could only mean 2 things in my opinion: One it was botched by the NFL and they have nothing on the Pats and want it to go away OR two, they have an absolute smoking gun that, once released, will completely implicate the Patriots beyond all doubt. I hope it's the latter.

all it takes is 2 PSI.....

And player substitutions meant to circumvent the rules. And god knows whatever else they do. If someone is willing to cheat by deflating a football and record opposing coaches signals/listen to opposing team's radio transmissions there's no doubt they're willing to do other illegal things that give them an advantage. Just because they haven't been caught doing anything else doesn't mean they haven't been.

Staying this silent could only mean 2 things in my opinion: One it was botched by the NFL and they have nothing on the Pats and want it to go away OR two, they have an absolute smoking gun that, once released, will completely implicate the Patriots beyond all doubt. I hope it's the latter.

How could it possibly be the latter; if the NFL has an absolute smoking gun implicating cheating beyond all doubt and they let the Patriots represent the AFC in the Superbowl anyway would be the worst PR nightmare in history.

The simplest answer is often if not usually the correct answer. There is almost no question that someone let air out of the balls after they were measured. There is no question that Brady would not do it himself. There is no question that no person would do it himself without Brady or Bellichick. There is no question that it happened before the game started.

A guy, a locker room attendant, carrying the balls to another place not the field between the measurement and game time.

Who could believe that?!

Good point.

The crazy part to me is that the deflated balls is probably the LEAST of the transgressions they have been found guilty of or rumored/surmised to have been taking part of for years - but this is the one that suddenly turns so much public opinion against them

- Taping defensive signals - knowing defensive calls before snap (Brady trained as QB for years by knowing plays in live game situations - this is never held against him though?)

- Radio frequency anomalies - including messing up or listening in on opponents, keeping QB receiver on up to snap or even while play in process to relay info

- Spying in locker room

- Incredible run of older/washed up careers miraculously being resurrected and players playing at higher physical levels in their later years they they ever had with other teams (Rodney Harrison caught red-handed with HGH)

- What Else???? Who would have even guessed deflated balls was on the what else list a month ago?

And player substitutions meant to circumvent the rules. And god knows whatever else they do. If someone is willing to cheat by deflating a football and record opposing coaches signals/listen to opposing team's radio transmissions there's no doubt they're willing to do other illegal things that give them an advantage. Just because they haven't been caught doing anything else doesn't mean they haven't been.

This is 100% the deal here.

How could it possibly be the latter; if the NFL has an absolute smoking gun implicating cheating beyond all doubt and they let the Patriots represent the AFC in the Superbowl anyway would be the worst PR nightmare in history.

It's not practical to change the teams in the superbowl no matter what they do. As soon as the Patriots/Colts game ended millions of dollars were placed in bets around the world.

If they have a smoking gun, they'd want to take their time to tie up every loose end and make sure they're fully prepared to present it. There'd be no rush to announce their findings right away, because once everyone hears the findings the discussion is over. IF it's a smoking gun.

yeah, to me the apparent fact that a Patriots employee let the air out of balls to cheat and create a problem is a symptom and not the problem itself. I strongly believe there is a lot going on there that skews "fairness" strongly in the Pats' favor, especially at home.

It's not practical to change the teams in the superbowl no matter what they do. As soon as the Patriots/Colts game ended millions of dollars were placed in bets around the world.

If they have a smoking gun, they'd want to take their time to tie up every loose end and make sure they're fully prepared to present it. There'd be no rush to announce their findings right away, because once everyone hears the findings the discussion is over. IF it's a smoking gun.

we can agree there. especially since there is no indication it changed the outcome, the nfl has little incentive to rush this and risk messing it up on the largest stage by dq'ing the pats.

we can agree there. especially since there is no indication it changed the outcome, the nfl has little incentive to rush this and risk messing it up on the largest stage by dq'ing the pats.

That's why I think it has to be the NFL has nothing or the NFL has everything. If it was anywhere in between they would have made a statement right away trying to temper expectations or quiet the public roar a little bit. Because by staying quiet for this long, they're either going to be completely embarrassed when they announce they have no proof or completely vindicated and celebrated when they announce they'd made the biggest cheating bust in almost a decade.