New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady now hedging about what the investigation will show - per interview with Costas to air on SB Sunday

If you are innocent, why squander an opportunity to put the issue to bed unequivocally? The hedging he's doing is not helping the coverup effort one iota. Can't wait to see how the apologists spin this one.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

You seem to be championing this point that the rest of the league also tampered with balls......which I typically wouldn't be surprised about. It doesn't address the reasons as to why the Patriots had such a decrease to their fumble rate post-2006(coinciding with the rule change), nor does it change the fact that only the Patriots have been caught and therefore should pay the penalty for cheating. With their history, I see no reason to feel sorry for them.

#1- the PATS cheated, got caught and should pay a very heavy price. loss of multiple draft picks, a huge fine and if possible a reduction in salary cap.

#2- goodell should and i think will lose his job over this. he betrayed the trust of one single owner in a failed sting operation when he should have known it was a league wide problem and sent a strong letter to ALL 32 club saying cease and desist tampering with air pressure, we are watching.

#3- i think low air pressure does help lower the fumble rate. i think a bigger reason NE fumbles less is the emphasis placed on roster spots given to players known to fumble less, playing time based on protecting the ball, coaching emphasis and practice habits/drills.

#4- for me, tampering with football air pressure is like sneaking in juiced baseballs or corked bats. the arguement that almost everyone does it , must be factored in.

What do they care?

This is their last shot. They saw it early in the year. Luckily for them John Fox is a sleepy bum and Manning's quad blew up.

All the care about is getting ring #4, and after they win this Sunday who cares what the NFL finds? They will still have the title.

#4- for me, tampering with football air pressure is like sneaking in juiced baseballs or corked bats. the arguement that almost everyone does it , must be factored in.

It shouldn't be factored in at all because it is only supposition. How does that go? "We have caught the Patriots cheating but since we guess that all of the other teams cheat we will give them a lesser penalty." The NFL can't simply assume other teams have been cheating. On top of that the fumbling stats show a clear disparity to the Patriots.

Unless you mean that it should only be factored in by us fans who think that they all cheat.....in which case the response surely should be....."Ha Ha. The cheating Patriots got caught and our team didn't. Tough luck Pats!"

Maybe the Pats win om Sunday and Brady decides to retire on top and thus avoids any suspension related to deflate-gate. How crazy would that be?

What would the suspension be? 4 games max? Probably less (if any).

He would just show up after week #4, and they would go from like 2-2 to 13-3 with home field throughout the playoffs again. Big deal to him... he gets to take a few weeks off (which he seemingly did this year anyway).

The real problem is that the AFC is such a cupcake conference. The Ravens are the only team that can seem to stop them.

It shouldn't be factored in at all because it is only supposition. How does that go? "We have caught the Patriots cheating but since we guess that all of the other teams cheat we will give them a lesser penalty." The NFL can't simply assume other teams have been cheating. On top of that the fumbling stats show a clear disparity to the Patriots.

Unless you mean that it should only be factored in by us fans who think that they all cheat.....in which case the response surely should be....."Ha Ha. The cheating Patriots got caught and our team didn't. Tough luck Pats!"

Depends the extent of the investigation - if they have (likely retired to avoid punishment) players and coaches on record candidly you could learn a ton on the topic

If by this you mean that the notion that "almost everyone cheats" is or should be a mitigating factor when considering punishment, I completely disagree. This line of thinking is akin to saying "teams that don't cheat are suckers, and they should really start getting busy." Any punishment that sends that type of message to the league only spawns more widespread and/or more creative cheating.

Looks like the NFL asked Cokumbia physicists to help them on this. Wonder if they know that Kraft is both an alum and major donor (which is probably why they all turned the League down). That said, I love the guy who said he couldn't take the gig, but thinks they did it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/sports/football/nfl-investigator-seeks-to-consult-columbia-physicist-over-patriots-deflated-footballs.html?_r=0

" Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common?addata=module-b

That's great: a guy who hasn't played in 10 years tells us what the common practice was when he played, and his entire career took place BEFORE the rule change.

I still can't figure out how to post a video like that, just the link for it.

Just removed the s after the http

That doesn't always work.

If you're doing a linky thingy to a Yousetube video just go to the "< Share" button below the "Subscribe" button. It gives you a clean linky for the viewing pleasure of youse and yourin'.

Brady now hedging about what the investigation will show - per interview with Costas to air on SB Sunday

If you are innocent, why squander an opportunity to put the issue to bed unequivocally? The hedging he's doing is not helping the coverup effort one iota. Can't wait to see how the apologists spin this one.

I didn't know that people were still wondering if he was innocent or not. It's silly to even debate it anymore. It's scary how so many people wanted to believe any excuse that was trotted out there or even still now feel that they need to wait on the investigation findings.

The Pats balls were deflated and the Colts balls were not. They are guilty based on those 2 simple facts, no investigation needed. Suspend Brady and Belichick for the first two games next year and take away their 1st round pick.

In 2015, either let all QBs do whatever they want to footballs including PSI amount or both teams play with the same 12 balls inflated at the same PSI. Let the player union put it to a vote.

That was somewhat surprising that he nailed both of them exactly, unless they set it up. Didn't seem that way.

Two weird things about that...

First: Brees seemingly confuses "ounces" as a unit of mass with "PSI" as a unit of pressure. He is stating numbers in ounces, Conan is ignoring that, and then saying "right, 12 PSI" or whatever.

Second: Brees starts off by saying something akin to "Well in a game you get different balls" and he seemingly implied they are irregular inconsistent. Some have more pressure than others...some feel better than others...but then he says something like "it really doesn't matter...we are too busy to notice air pressure...we are reading defenses, trying to make throws and we are expected to move the ball down the field with no excuses"

Or whatever he said precisely. He is basically saying "a PSI here or there difference in a game condition doesn't really matter" but then he goes on to perfectly nail the PSI of both footballs, without needing a heck of a lot of time to do it, suggesting great feel for the ball and that it WOULD matter.

Also! Although he confuses ounces with PSI, he is clearly tuned into the right range of numbers and clearly tuned into the concept of air pressure altering the feel of a football. This is a guy who knows the rules governing a ball, knows the PSI rules, and has played around with balls/PSI with the help of his equipment guys 1,000 times to dial the ball in how he wants it. You can tell.

That suggests they are all doing that...which in turn means Tom Brady is a lying ass and Bill B. too. I can't believe a HC in the NFL and one of the best, most precise thinking and controlling of all time would have no clue about PSI levels and all this crap.

I.E., Drew speaks of this topic in the video with Conan with precision and familiarity...but Bill B. had to go to science class for 3 days to get a handle on the situation?

Come on Bill. I hope they suspend you for all of next year you A hole.

It's amazing what the hey look at this video will do .

The turd actually came clean as to how he came up with the idea and almost told us how he carried it out .. He noticed to tire gauge on his car asked around ... Found some way to excite the air without heating or just blatantly lied like Brady ( as if he can't tell the difference ) and heated the air to pass the inspection thus staying inside the letter of the law .. They settled and dropped a pound and then the cold did the rest. . He actually believed playing with footballs 2.0 psi Lower isn't cheating .. Give me a break.

And this mainly suggests they never stopped taping or relaying signals to whiny or he wouldn't actually bring it up himself . And he knows how tainted all of his wins are as a cheating coach.

So now , on a bills board the pats lovers can pretend to be fans yet still forget the pats still stole at least one game from us considering the bills were one of the tapes his traitorish pal Walsh gave up according to oleary book. The best one is Manginis whine that he has no friends and it had no advantage but he "wasn't going to just not let them do it in his stadium " the most ridiculous proof that once a cheat always an insecure cheat is josh mcd keeping his secret but getting caught taping the walk thru of the broncos 49ers in London . Now together again . Anything to refute that trolls?

Buff just needs to do the work which is twice as much as they do with other teams and play spy vs spy . Hopefully the rest of the league decides character is more important than a w .. Which us why the balls are a watershed event .

A fake w .. Excuse ...

I absolutely believe that the exact PSI level of a ball would be the last thing on the mind of an NFL quarterback in the heat of a game. I also believe that it's one of the things that an NFL quarterback wants to have exactly right BEFORE the game, and he knows exactly how he wants that to be. Whether Brady can tell the difference while dropping back with a lineman in his face is immaterial. In his mind he knows the ball is already exactly how he likes it, thus freeing him to think about the lineman in his face.

Brady has been absolutely truthful in saying that he doesn't think about it during the game, but that isn't the point. He doesn't think about it during the game because he knows it has all been taken care of already. But if you hand him an 11 ball and a 13 ball in a relaxed situation and ask him to tell the difference, if he tells you he can't he's a bigger liar than OJ trying to get the glove to fit.