New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

You think these balls have VIN numbers? What good would it do? You wouldn't even know which started at what number.

No. You note whether they are legal or not. If they are anything within 13.5 and 12.5 they are legal. Before, at half, or after the game. They are going to use a sharpie and number the balls?

Well, Peter King's article (from 2013 I think) where he described his time hanging out with Steratore's crew before a game included a mention that he marked an "L' (for his fiancée's first name) on every inspected ball. So there's ample precedent for refs making a unique mark on checked balls.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Peter King's article (from 2013 I think) where he described his time hanging out with Steratore's crew before a game included a mention that he marked an "L' (for his fiancée's first name) on every inspected ball. So there's ample precedent for refs making a unique mark on checked balls.

Yes, of course it's possible, and no one probably would have noticed. I was thinking more along the lines of these guys are not going to admit to any kind of sting, especially in the AFC Championship Game. So they are not going to leave a paper trail. A good question was raised by someone lambasting the NFL on this, and rightfully so, what if they allowed the Patriots to play with illegal balls just to catch them and it was a 1 point game like the week before?

If they are doing a mini sting to catch them, they are just going to measure them before the game, make sure they are all legal, then measure them again at the half. It wouldn't matter which was which, they would be excessively illegal or they wouldn't. They were so they took them out. Now they don't have to admit to any sting, they can just say what they are saying.

It's amazing what the hey look at this video will do .

The turd actually came clean as to how he came up with the idea and almost told us how he carried it out .. He noticed to tire gauge on his car asked around ... Found some way to excite the air without heating or just blatantly lied like Brady ( as if he can't tell the difference ) and heated the air to pass the inspection thus staying inside the letter of the law .. They settled and dropped a pound and then the cold did the rest. . He actually believed playing with footballs 2.0 psi Lower isn't cheating .. Give me a break.

And this mainly suggests they never stopped taping or relaying signals to whiny or he wouldn't actually bring it up himself . And he knows how tainted all of his wins are as a cheating coach.

So now , on a bills board the pats lovers can pretend to be fans yet still forget the pats still stole at least one game from us considering the bills were one of the tapes his traitorish pal Walsh gave up according to oleary book. The best one is Manginis whine that he has no friends and it had no advantage but he "wasn't going to just not let them do it in his stadium " the most ridiculous proof that once a cheat always an insecure cheat is josh mcd keeping his secret but getting caught taping the walk thru of the broncos 49ers in London . Now together again . Anything to refute that trolls?

Buff just needs to do the work, which is twice as much as they do with other teams and play spy vs spy even if the league decides veer away from becoming the wwf and make the rules leading up to play as important as calling penalties properly .. At this point they might just say anything goes and have every cheat openly because teams like New England have differentiated themselves less with play on the field and more with knowing the plays before the happen .. I truly wish this wasn't true and could look forward to twice a year playing the best as a wsy of measuring our franchise . Unfortunately tom brady revealed his character in a press conference by hiding behind the lie of not bring able to tell the difference of a ball he makes a living with . Don't be fooled by the speeding ticket and overlook the fact that the car is stolen and there are 14 years worth of illegal tapes and helmet radio equipment that is stashed in the trunk . Don't be ashamed to csll a cheat a chest as they make fools of everyone who watches the games . Card cheats are lucky to escape with their lives .

Hopefully the rest of the league decides character is as important as the victory . Those that truly are the best don't need to cheat .. Which is why the balls are an important crossroads for the league....

A

@BillSimmons: So the NFL mangled the pregame football inspection, but we didn't find this out for 12 solid days. Stay classy, NFL. http://t.co/7jqOcZbfhI

There really are no words….

Watch the comments section of PFT, there have been gaudy numbers of thumbs up for any comments pro-Pats…..feels a little bit synthetic considering the majority of people that don't believe them.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

@BillSimmons: So the NFL mangled the pregame football inspection, but we didn't find this out for 12 solid days. Stay classy, NFL. http://t.co/7jqOcZbfhI

Matters not ..

Just compare pats balls to colts ..

As the nfl tries to weasel out of having the Tonys Harding of football justify his right of his team to play on Sunday .. I like the movie where they kidnap the star egomaniac . If we are going to have anything goes ... Every idiot who can make it into a game can have more of an impact than the players

There really are no words.

Watch the comments section of PFT, there have been gaudy numbers of thumbs up for any comments pro-Pats..feels a little bit synthetic considering the majority of people that don't believe them.

Exactly . Sickening the precision of it .. This is football not Isis ..

And the amazing number of cbs articles trying every angle to just make it go away

.. Bill says it will stop soon as long we hang tough little tommy .

Face it .. We are tired of scum letting life sneak into our sports .

No, because the Pats* (namely, Belichick and Brady) could have immediately said, "well, damn, everybody does that" and acted like it was no big deal and this would have gone away quickly.

Lie and deny when you truly have alot to lose

Matters not ..

Just compare pats balls to colts ..

As the nfl tries to weasel out of having the Tonys Harding of football justify his right of his team to play on Sunday .. I like the movie where they kidnap the star egomaniac . If we are going to have anything goes ... Every idiot who can make it into a game can have more of an impact than the players

Exactly . Sickening the precision of it .. This is football not Isis ..

And the amazing number of cbs articles trying every angle to just make it go away

.. Bill says it will stop soon as long we hang tough little tommy .

I think they hired those blogging services that the gov't uses to overwhelm chat rooms/comments sections to make things appear pro-gov't.

Just look at PFT….no secret that is a top NFL site for fans….the comments sections on deflate posts go 20+ deep pro pats before an anti-pats post can be seen…..and the voting is ridiculously skewed.

When the news broke, the comments sections were 99% anti Pats and they were KILLING their supporters. Am I supposed to believe that those people collectively stopped reading/posting?

Right.

@ProFootballTalk: Joe Montana thinks Tom Brady ordered footballs to be deflated http://t.co/iH5NEle6ap

And here is the most pertinent quote...

“It’s a stupid thing to even be talking about because they shouldn’t have the rule anyway,” Montana said. “If you want to see the game played at the best, everybody has a different grip, everybody likes a different feel.” - Joe Montana

He also said the reason the rule was put into effect is because kickers were doing extreme things to the footballs.

Me and Joe agree!

Edited by HoF Watkins

Me and Joe agree!

You agree that Brady was the ultimate source of the tampering? That there was a rule against tampering with footballs that was broken? That the Patri*ts cheated? (Those are things stated or implied in Joe's statements.)

Then you, me, and Joe are on the same page.

Whether you or Brady or Joe think the rule is a good idea or not doesn't matter, you know.

kj

Edited by l< j

You agree that Brady was the ultimate source of the tampering? That there was a rule against tampering with footballs that was broken? That the Patri*ts cheated? (Those are things stated or implied in Joe's statements.)

Then you, me, and Joe are on the same page.

Whether you or Brady or Joe think the rule is a good idea or not doesn't matter, you know.

kj

How many times does it need to be said?

They don't sentence people to 50 years in jail over a parking ticket. I think the punishment should fit the crime, and that it's not a serious transgression. It's apparent that many QB's have taken liberties with this rule. A rule that was actually intended to keep kickers from altering the ball.

If this was Blake Bortles, no one would care. And NO, Spygate isn't enough to turn this into a major transgression. It's clear that bitter fans are fueling this controversy, and the media is going to run with it until it's dry.

Edited by HoF Watkins

They don't sentence people to 50 years in jail over a parking ticket. I think the punishment should fit the crime, and that it's not a serious transgression. It's apparent that many QB's have taken liberties with this rule. A rule that was actually intended to keep kickers from altering the ball.

If this was Blake Bortles, no one would care. And NO, Spygate isn't enough to turn this into a major transgression. It's clear that bitter fans are fueling this controversy, and the media is going to run with it until it's dry.

So to be absolutely clear: you acknowledge that they broke the rules but believe it doesn't matter? So we can move on to the semtencing phase?

And here is the most pertinent quote...

Its a stupid thing to even be talking about because they shouldnt have the rule anyway, Montana said. If you want to see the game played at the best, everybody has a different grip, everybody likes a different feel. - Joe Montana

He also said the reason the rule was put into effect is because kickers were doing extreme things to the footballs.

Me and Joe agree!

Not a crazy take- especially with the league seeming much stricter on kickers than qbs here

You think these balls have VIN numbers? What good would it do? You wouldn't even know which started at what number.

No. You note whether they are legal or not. If they are anything within 13.5 and 12.5 they are legal. Before, at half, or after the game. They are going to use a sharpie and number the balls?

Wouldn't having a record of exactly where each set started and finished help with the speculation of what happened and how?

I'm not saying it gets them off the hook fully no matter what but it seems to give some room to wiggle around possibly which you would think the nfl would want to avoid

Speaking of wiggle around, maybe the balls could have been inflated to the lowest level at very cold temps (instead of warm) knowing that when they are presented to the league at room temp they will read higher. The Pats* asked the referees to make sure they were at 12.5 (at room temp) so the referees unwittingly under inflated the balls beyond the normal level. Plausible story. Everyone off the hook.

It also bears repeating that parking tickets are usually used as a pretext to nail repeat offenders of other crimes.