New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Two weird things about that...

First: Brees seemingly confuses "ounces" as a unit of mass with "PSI" as a unit of pressure. He is stating numbers in ounces, Conan is ignoring that, and then saying "right, 12 PSI" or whatever.

Second: Brees starts off by saying something akin to "Well in a game you get different balls" and he seemingly implied they are irregular inconsistent. Some have more pressure than others...some feel better than others...but then he says something like "it really doesn't matter...we are too busy to notice air pressure...we are reading defenses, trying to make throws and we are expected to move the ball down the field with no excuses"

Or whatever he said precisely. He is basically saying "a PSI here or there difference in a game condition doesn't really matter" but then he goes on to perfectly nail the PSI of both footballs, without needing a heck of a lot of time to do it, suggesting great feel for the ball and that it WOULD matter.

Also! Although he confuses ounces with PSI, he is clearly tuned into the right range of numbers and clearly tuned into the concept of air pressure altering the feel of a football. This is a guy who knows the rules governing a ball, knows the PSI rules, and has played around with balls/PSI with the help of his equipment guys 1,000 times to dial the ball in how he wants it. You can tell.

That suggests they are all doing that...which in turn means Tom Brady is a lying ass and Bill B. too. I can't believe a HC in the NFL and one of the best, most precise thinking and controlling of all time would have no clue about PSI levels and all this crap.

I.E., Drew speaks of this topic in the video with Conan with precision and familiarity...but Bill B. had to go to science class for 3 days to get a handle on the situation?

Come on Bill. I hope they suspend you for all of next year you A hole.

Keep it going .. Great . Maybe we get a fair game this century .. Maybe

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually changed my phone to automatically add the * for me when I type Patriots* or Pats*.

LOL Good move

So Deflategate aka Toiletgate is not about passing but fumbling!!

sorry for repeating this post

Deflategate becomes Toiletgate

toilet-Doug-Pensinger.jpg

thornography.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/toilet-Doug-Pensinger.jpg

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Pretty good article on yahoo kind of touching on both sides of the fumble statistics people have been arguing about. It doesn't take a side, but I found this Dr. Seuss-esque quote from a 2008 Tom Brady interesting in light of what he said at his press conference:

“The thing is, every quarterback likes it a little bit different,” Brady said back then, arguing his case for every team being allowed to provide its own footballs at games. “Some like them blown up a little bit more, some like them a little more thin, some like them a little more new, some like them really broken in.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-triggers-stat-spat-as-analysts-attempt-to-solve-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

Paging DC Tom. As you know, I've suspected this might be the case: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/richs-sources-patriots-footballs-passed-referee-inspection-just-under-allowable-psi-level/. Assuming this is true, those refs apparently did a half-assed squeeze test (if even that).

The league has a lot to answer for (again, assuming this is true).

Paging DC Tom. As you know, I've suspected this might be the case: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/richs-sources-patriots-footballs-passed-referee-inspection-just-under-allowable-psi-level/. Assuming this is true, those refs apparently did a half-assed squeeze test (if even that).

Hmmm, the Patriots casting aspersions on the refs before the Superbowl? That's smart...LOL

That's improbable, because if the theory that NFL tried to entrap Pats* balls is true, why would the refs do a half-assed job in inspecting the balls prior to the game?

Both parts can't be true.

That's improbable, because if the theory that NFL tried to entrap Pats* balls is true, why would the refs do a half-assed job in inspecting the balls prior to the game?

Either that or some people working for the league really, really hate the Pats! Which is not a difficult thing to imagine, right?!?

It's an interesting twist nonetheless. For my part, I honestly believe that refs never check balls with gauges before games because it's never been an issue before. Maybe I'm wrong, but human nature suggests that that the easiest path is that one that's usually taken provided one assumes that there will be no negative fallout.

One other thought: It is possible that it is standard Patriot practice to deliver underinflated balls with the assumption that the refs may inflate them but often don't do it (the Patriots' preference) because of laziness. This time, though, perhaps the refs deliberately didn't inflate the balls because they were intent on catching them. That raises the interesting question of whether the Pats were entrapped or framed.

One other thought: It is possible that it is standard Patriot practice to deliver underinflated balls with the assumption that the refs may inflate them but often don't do it (the Patriots' preference) because of laziness. This time, though, perhaps the refs deliberately didn't inflate the balls because they were intent on catching them. That raises the interesting question of whether the Pats were entrapped or framed.

It would be idiotic to intentionally allow the underinflated balls for the first half in effort to frame Pats*.

Oh cmon. A Patriots radio station? And they didn't even say they did it this game. They said if this was true... Not to mention that Bellichick said the Patriots told the officials to inflate them to a specific amount, 12.5. And I believe the NFL has already come out and said they were tested. As well as several other sources like King and Mort.

Oh cmon. A Patriots radio station? And they didn't even say they did it this game. They said if this was true... Not to mention that Bellichick said the Patriots told the officials to inflate them to a specific amount, 12.5. And I believe the NFL has already come out and said they were tested. As well as several other sources like King and Mort.

00551c78b366f22256c2e712037bb2ea.jpgcharmin-bear%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

WRT the "sting operation"

The NFL had to allow the Cheatriots to play the first half with soft balls in order to catch them in the act of rule breaking

This assumes the NFL thought it was more important to catch the Pats** than to have the first half of the AFC Championship game played fairly. That decision would require a high level judgment call by the NFL that I simply don't believe happened.

It would be absolutely mind blowing to think that the NFL received multiple complaints from other teams about the Pats** balls but failed to actually put a gauge to their balls before the Championship game.

It would be idiotic to intentionally allow the underinflated balls for the first half in effort to frame Pats*.

That's a fair point.

My prediction: at some point it'll come out that the refs really don't do what the league says they claim they do regarding checking balls with gauges. Whether they did it before this game is anyone's guess despite what the league says. That doesn't exonerate the Pats at all. I just find the credulousness toward the league and the refs in particular a little bewildering.

That's a fair point.

My prediction: at some point it'll come out that the refs really don't do what the league says they claim they do regarding checking balls with gauges. Whether they did it before this game is anyone's guess despite what the league says. That doesn't exonerate the Pats at all. I just find the credulousness toward the league and the refs in particular a little bewildering.

I understand that and you have good reason. But think for a second. They hired an outside litigation firm to do this investigation. They have spent a lot of time and money and have lost a ridiculous amount of credibility in the last few weeks. The first thing Wells is going to ask is did the officials weigh the balls before the game. Otherwise there is ZERO case at all and zero reason to go through this and zero reason to drag this out. If they didn't measure the balls with a gauge they have nothing.

Except of course, proof that the Patriots did cheat. ;) But there would be no investigation at all if they didn't check with a gauge. Not to mention that it's absolutely impossible to believe they set up this mini sting and then didn't check before the game. That is impossible to believe, even under the "they are so dumb and such clowns that anything could happen" theory.

I understand that and you have good reason. But think for a second. They hired an outside litigation firm to do this investigation. They have spent a lot of time and money and have lost a ridiculous amount of credibility in the last few weeks. The first thing Wells is going to ask is did the officials weigh the balls before the game. Otherwise there is ZERO case at all and zero reason to go through this and zero reason to drag this out. If they didn't measure the balls with a gauge they have nothing.

Except of course, proof that the Patriots did cheat. ;) But there would be no investigation at all if they didn't check with a gauge. Not to mention that it's absolutely impossible to believe they set up this mini sting and then didn't check before the game. That is impossible to believe, even under the "they are so dumb and such clowns that anything could happen" theory.

I think he was getting at the last decade plus, not Sunday. (Edit:misread, he did say maybe even this week)

Roll in a few other comments like Rodgers saying he likes them firm a will try to sneak them in a bit extra and it might point to a system where refs normally just spot check them with occasional readings but not a strict and formal procedure

Edited by NoSaint

I think he was getting at the last decade plus, not Sunday. (Edit:misread, he did say maybe even this week)

Roll in a few other comments like Rodgers saying he likes them firm a will try to sneak them in a bit extra and it might point to a system where refs normally just spot check them with occasional readings but not a strict and formal procedure

That's completely immaterial to this game. They did a sting. They're having a full investigation. There is zero case if they didn't start out with a gauge. This would all be over with if they didn't. The refs checked the balls before this game, with a gauge. There is no question about that. Otherwise they would have zero idea if the Patriots deflated them.