New $700 Million Buffalo Bills Stadium May Soon Be Built

HOUSE

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I have been reading this for about a year now, seems pretty straight forward

http://globalflare.com/

LOL--yeah, like this one too: Japan Releases Plans for World’s First Underwater City

The bogusness of this story lies in its twin claims that the Pegulas will seek signficant public money and it will be underway by 2017. Both can't be true.

Anyway, what would be Pegula's lease penalty liability if he was to build a stadium in the next year of so?

Edited by Mr. WEO

I would love, love love for Buffalo to get an MLB team. Would require a multi-purpose retractable facility IMO. Also highly doubtful as long as the MLB caters to the big markets and the MLBPA. But man, talk about getting a ton of people downtown 80+ nights a Summer?

As far as the Bills stadium, I would be fine if they just took Seattle's taco/burrito design and transplanted it here. Would be comfortable enough from the elements, yet outdoors. I really do not know what events an enclosed stadium would attract that an outdoor stadium will not. Best case is Pegula and Jacobs privately fund an outdoor stadium, ask the public for infastructure downtown, and with that, the public along with maybe a private developer builds a really nice convention center.

Terry only has so much money to buy teams.

Yes! It looks great. A real football stadium--no dome!

Anyone who loves real football, and has spent any time in a giant living room like the Carrier Dome, knows that they would no

longer be the same football team with a roof over the stadium. Hope this becomes a reality.

Let it snow, let it blow, it's Buffalo.

9 more seasons at the Ralph they have a lease with the county.....so, all this is just dreaming. I am against a new stadium downtown....for a multitude of reasons.

The guy with Billions can do what ever he wants...trust me

Wow, really hope this isn't what they're planning, it looks terrible. Notice how the seats (especially end zone) go out and not up. Not good for crowd noise and you're super far away from the field. I think the stadium should definitely have a retractable roof.

I don't think the picture will even be close...its just a concept image

This "article" seems to be 180 degrees out from credible. Poorly written, pathetically vague and completely unsourced (except for the Jacobs quote which actually has nothing to do with the "news" he's breaking that the stadium may be coming soon).

I love this: "Those closes (sic) with the current stadium executives think the decisions for the new stadium will be finalized within the next couple months, and that the new stadium may be built as early as the 2017 season."

1) I guess the author doesn't know that "the current stadium executives" means Poloncarz, because the County owns the stadium.

2) Both Poloncarz and Cuomo are on record as questioning the need for a new stadium. Yet according to Scott "scoop" Jensen they know this is happening and have remained quiet about it until this guy breaks the story.

Embarrassing to UNC that the guy claims to be an alumnus.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Because football is supposed to be an outdoor sport.

Agree 1000%. Domes are for pansies. Look at all the relatively new open air stadiums in crappy weather cities. Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New England, NYC, Seattle (lots of rain), Cincinnati, Denver.

I still remember the shot of Kelly on the sidelines going nuts when that brutal lake snow squall blew in during the commercial break in one of the games when Flutie was still QB.

Edited by Not Again

This anti roof (no one builds domes anymore) sentiment is weird. I attend games in the Superdome all of the time and there is plenty of atmosphere. I also went to Houston this year and thought that place was great. I don't know what the attraction is of sitting outside in 35 degree temperatures when it is raining? Good luck attracting the wealthier clientele in that atmosphere. I cannot see a scenario where there isn't a roof.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Agree 1000%. Domes are for pansies. Look at all the relatively new open air stadiums in crappy weather cities. Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, New England, NYC, Seattle (lots of rain), Cincinnati, Denver.

I still remember the shot of Kelly on the sidelines going nuts when that brutal lake snow squall blew in during the commercial break in one of the games when Flutie was still QB.

Exactly. I was at that game. I think 2002, after Flutie. But, it was one of the most fun games in the last 20 years. And, it was hilarious with Jimbo going crazy on the sidelines, and then the snow coming in during the commercial when the Dolphins now got the ball!

This anti roof (no one builds domes anymore) sentiment is weird. I attend games in the Superdome all of the time and there is plenty of atmosphere. I also went to Houston this year and thought that place was great. I don't know what the attraction is of sitting outside in 35 degree temperatures when it is raining? Good luck attracting the wealthier clientele in that atmosphere. I cannot see a scenario where there isn't a roof.

Agreed.

If there was any doubt about the next stadium being a dome or retractable roof before the snow storm before the Jets game, there is no doubt any longer.

Agreed.

If there was any doubt about the next stadium being a dome or retractable roof before the snow storm before the Jets game, there is no doubt any longer.

Why? There's no way that game would have been played here anyway? Do you live in the Southtowns?

Why? There's no way that game would have been played here anyway? Do you live in the Southtowns?

Why?!? Because it showed that there is no point in spending the $$$ if the team and fans etc. are at the whim of the weather and have to worry about whether a game (or other event) is going to go forward EVEN IF the roads are cleared. [i realize that it took time to clear the roads, but there was a question about the following game against Cleveland even when they had made progress with the roads - it seems odd that we would be dependent on how many snow shovelers would show up to shovel a huge stadium].

I have been going to that stadium since 1972. I have season tickets and have kept them even though I live in Miami. I have been to games where the conditions were miserable even almost getting frostbite on my feet at a Jets game back in the 1980's. I have no problem going to games when it is cold -- up to a point. I find very little romance, however, in going to a game when the rain is horizontal etc. I have no problem with a retractable roof that would close when the conditions are miserable.

It just does not make sense to spend the $$$ on a new stadium if you cannot use it more than a handful of times or people will not go because they would rather watch the game in their family room. The big screen TV and family room are the real competitors for home football attendance. That is just a fact. We can choose to be romantic and all say wouldn't it be great to sit through the ice bowl even though we have had hard times selling out games in December -- even when the team was very, very good. Hell, the comeback playoff game against the Oilers was not even a sellout as I recall.

The fact remains that it makes perfect sense to have a dome/retractable roof downtown not only for football games, but so that it can be used more than 8 or 10 games a year.

Edited by Peter

The fact remains that it makes perfect sense to have a dome/retractable roof downtown not only for football games, but so that it can be used more than 8 or 10 games a year.

I'm just curious as to what all these other events would be held at an indoor stadium that can't be held at the First Niagara Center? And if they do have other events they want to host there, it doesn't snow in the summer. I also never hear about other bad weather cities complaining that their football stadiums are useless because they are only used a few times a year. Edited by Not Again

Why?!? Because it showed that there is no point in spending the $$$ if the team and fans etc. are at the whim of the weather and have to worry about whether a game (or other event) is going to go forward EVEN IF the roads are cleared. [i realize that it took time to clear the roads, but there was a question about the following game against Cleveland even when they had made progress with the roads - it seems odd that we would be dependent on how many snow shovelers would show up to shovel a huge stadium].

I have been going to that stadium since 1972. I have season tickets and have kept them even though I live in Miami. I have been to games where the conditions were miserable even almost getting frostbite on my feet at a Jets game back in the 1980's. I have no problem going to games when it is cold -- up to a point. I find very little romance, however, in going to a game when the rain is horizontal etc. I have no problem with a retractable roof that would close when the conditions are miserable.

It just does not make sense to spend the $$$ on a new stadium if you cannot use it more than a handful of times or people will not go because they would rather watch the game in their family room. The big screen TV and family room are the real competitors for home football attendance. That is just a fact. We can choose to be romantic and all say wouldn't it be great to sit through the ice bowl even though we have had hard times selling out games in December -- even when the team was very, very good. Hell, the comeback playoff game against the Oilers was not even a sellout as I recall.

I figured you don't live here now - at least not south of the city. We weren't going anywhere - people were buried in cars and there were 7 feet in my street.................My point is the game would not have been played even if there was a dome. The Sabres cancelled games and they aren't an outdoor team.

That November storm should have no bearing on a decision. As it wouldn't have mattered.

I'm just curious as to what all these other events would be held at an indoor stadium that can't be held at the First Niagara Center? And if they do have other events they want to host there, it doesn't snow in the summer. I also never hear about other bad weather cities complaining that their football stadiums are useless because they are only used a few times a year.

I'm wondering this also. I guess there would be a lot of dates blocked at the arena that then can be used at the indoor stadium, but I'm not sure what kind of events would even go to it.

I'm just curious as to what all these other events would be held at an indoor stadium that can't be held at the First Niagara Center? And if they do have other events they want to host there, it doesn't snow in the summer. I also never hear about other bad weather cities complaining that their football stadiums are useless because they are only used a few times a year.

Any event that would require more than 18,000 people clearly. If you go to the Lucas Oil Stadium site, it shows five events this year ranging from 28,000 to 80,000 people. They also host the NFL combine as I am sure you know. I also am sure you know that the Pacers play in the Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

Final Four seems like 1 realistic option. Buffalo has been a fantastic host for the NCAA tourney.

I figured you don't live here now - at least not south of the city. We weren't going anywhere - people were buried in cars and there were 7 feet in my street.................My point is the game would not have been played even if there was a dome. The Sabres cancelled games and they aren't an outdoor team.

That November storm should have no bearing on a decision. As it wouldn't have mattered.

I do not believe that the Sabres cancelled any of their games during or in the aftermath of the storm. I just went on their website, which appears to confirm this. Am I missing something?

My view is that, if anyone (the Pegulas, the county, the state, or a combination of them) ever builds a new stadium, it makes little sense to spend that kind of money without at least a retractable roof given the weather and what I think that such a stadium could mean to the continued renaissance of Buffalo. Also, as I mentioned before, and which you did not address, the Bills have a hard enough time selling out in December (even when we were good, very good).

Edited by Peter

I do not believe that the Sabres cancelled any of their games during or in the aftermath of the storm. I just went on their website, which appears to confirm this. Am I missing something?

My view is that, if anyone (the Pegulas, the county, the state, or a combination of them) ever builds a new stadium, it makes little sense to spend that kind of money without at least a retractable roof given the weather and what I think that such a stadium could mean to the continued renaissance of Buffalo. Also, as I mentioned before, and which you did not address, the Bills have a hard enough time selling out in December (even when we were good, very good).

I didn't see you address December. I would think that problem will be solved with a smaller stadium, which it will be no matter what............I do hate that there are fans who don't go because of the weather. I have skipped December games (and just ate my ticket) because they the Bills are out of it and they are meaningless - just like how I don't go to my preseason games. But, I've never not gone because of the weather.

But, I do know others do.

The Sabres cancelled at least one game, and I think two - you don't see it because the games got rescheduled. It was a Rangers game on Friday of that week, and I think one more..............Plus the Tuesday game had a few thousand people at most, but got played because it was a West Coast team, who was in town already and would be super hard to get back in town at a later date.

BTW, I just saw that you said about December when we were really good. That I don't remember at all. I remember sold out games - with 80,020 seats at the time...................I know that the wild card game wasn't sold out, but it had over 75K people.

And this was designed acoustically to be the loudest stadium in the NFL. Buffalo should also consider acoustics as well as sight lines. The noise of the 12th Man does indeed contribute to the Seahawks' success.

I have been thinking the EXACT same thing. When they do build a new stadium, they need to hire a top flight acoustics engineer to make sure that it is the loudest stadium in the NFL. No question about that.

As an aside, the Dolphins are moving their stands closer to the field in the next few years so that it will be more like people remember the Orange Bowl was like both in terms of sight lines and crowd noise. It is going to be interesting to see how this is done.

Any event that would require more than 18,000 people clearly. If you go to the Lucas Oil Stadium site, it shows five events this year ranging from 28,000 to 80,000 people. They also host the NFL combine as I am sure you know. I also am sure you know that the Pacers play in the Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

I think 55K is the capacity for the Monster Jam, Supercross, etc. Not what they expect to get.

I didn't see you address December. I would think that problem will be solved with a smaller stadium, which it will be no matter what............I do hate that there are fans who don't go because of the weather. I have skipped December games (and just ate my ticket) because they the Bills are out of it and they are meaningless - just like how I don't go to my preseason games. But, I've never not gone because of the weather.

But, I do know others do.

The Sabres cancelled at least one game, and I think two - you don't see it because the games got rescheduled. It was a Rangers game on Friday of that week, and I think one more..............Plus the Tuesday game had a few thousand people at most, but got played because it was a West Coast team, who was in town already and would be super hard to get back in town at a later date.

BTW, I just saw that you said about December when we were really good. That I don't remember at all. I remember sold out games - with 80,020 seats at the time...................I know that the wild card game wasn't sold out, but it had over 75K people.

You may be correct about the Rangers (I do not recall), but the Sabres site does show two home games being played that game (Jets on Tuesday and the Montreal on Friday).

You may recall that perhaps the most famous game we played in (other than Super Bowls) was not sold out - the Houston comeback game - and that was a playoff game.

This past year, I could not go to the Green Bay game. I tried to sell my tickets (45 yard line, 23 row) and could not even sell them. Two days before the game, I even lowered the price to face value (earlier in the week they were about $20-30 over face). No luck whatsoever. One would have thought the Packers would have been a big draw especially with my location. I presume people preferred to watch the game in the comfort of their homes on their big screen TVs rather go to the game. I was shocked.

I'm anti new stadium. But if one is built it needs to be a dome and seat about 55k. I am also anti-done for a new stadium. It needs to be able to be used more than 8 times per year if it is going to take up space in the central business district.

I know I sound like one big hypocrit, but what I want vs. what makes sound business sense for the city are two different things.

at least you admit that what you want and what makes sense are two different things. I think most people are conflicted like you are. I'm the same way. Love the Ralph. But believe a new stadium is needed and should be a 55-60K seat dome.

wouldnt something like this work and be awesome?

20110820_SEAHAWKS_MINN_1060.jpg?__SQUARE

that would be awesome!

I would love, love love for Buffalo to get an MLB team. Would require a multi-purpose retractable facility IMO. Also highly doubtful as long as the MLB caters to the big markets and the MLBPA. But man, talk about getting a ton of people downtown 80+ nights a Summer?

As far as the Bills stadium, I would be fine if they just took Seattle's taco/burrito design and transplanted it here. Would be comfortable enough from the elements, yet outdoors. I really do not know what events an enclosed stadium would attract that an outdoor stadium will not. Best case is Pegula and Jacobs privately fund an outdoor stadium, ask the public for infastructure downtown, and with that, the public along with maybe a private developer builds a really nice convention center.

You could have concerts, big concerts like the ones Rich used to have in the winter with a dome/retractable roof. Circus', flea markets, conventions, shows, whatever. If it's like Rich/Ralph, it would be totally unuseable several months of the year. Just like it is right now. What events are going on at the Ralph this weekend? None? Oh. A dome/retract roof could be used year round. Even in the winter! Do we really want something built that will be used only eight Sundays a year? It can't be a baseball stadium as well. MLB won't have that. I just remembered - my bad - I moved away fifteen years ago - I forgot about the Arena, where they probably already host that stuff. Sorry. My bad. That's what happens when you move away!

Edited by gpodpdx

Concert tours that are stadium big usually happen during the summer, not winter.

You may be correct about the Rangers (I do not recall), but the Sabres site does show two home games being played that game (Jets on Tuesday and the Montreal on Friday).

You may recall that perhaps the most famous game we played in (other than Super Bowls) was not sold out - the Houston comeback game - and that was a playoff game.

This past year, I could not go to the Green Bay game. I tried to sell my tickets (45 yard line, 23 row) and could not even sell them. Two days before the game, I even lowered the price to face value (earlier in the week they were about $20-30 over face). No luck whatsoever. One would have thought the Packers would have been a big draw especially with my location. I presume people preferred to watch the game in the comfort of their homes on their big screen TVs rather go to the game. I was shocked.

You're looking at the week after the storm. The week of the storm, they played the Sharks in front of dozens of people, and then played on Saturday at Washington. No other home games happened. I guarantee the Rangers game got moved from the Friday night spot, and there may have been another postponement.

That Packers game was so full of people and energy that it's not a good example at all. Not sure what happened with your ticket situation. I just know that being at that game was easily the most electric game of the year.

Concert tours that are stadium big usually happen during the summer, not winter.

You're looking at the week after the storm. The week of the storm, they played the Sharks in front of dozens of people, and then played on Saturday at Washington. No other home games happened. I guarantee the Rangers game got moved from the Friday night spot, and there may have been another postponement.

That Packers game was so full of people and energy that it's not a good example at all. Not sure what happened with your ticket situation. I just know that being at that game was easily the most electric game of the year.

Jets "at" Bills November 24

Jets at Sabres November 26

We can agree to disagree on the rest. In my view, there is no point in bothering to spend the money on a new stadium unless it is a dome or retractable roof. My vision aims higher than the status quo. I see a retractable roof and stadium like the Colts have in a downtown Buffalo location - stadium that contributes to the continued renaissance of Buffalo. A stadium filled with people who attend games (rather than stay at home on their couches in front of their big screen, HD TVs) and spill out onto the streets of downtown Buffalo before and after games and filling up the restaurants and bars of the city.

Unless one does something like that, leave it where it is where it does little else other than host 8 or 10 games a year.

P.S. As far as December games and attendance go, Russ Brandon (on WGR) has repeatedly talked about the challenges of selling tickets for those games not only over the past several years but when we were good, very good. As I mentioned before, the January 3 Houston Comeback game was even blacked out. A playoff game?!?

I don't personally know any true WNYers that would skip a Bills game because of weather. I know I wouldn't. I've worked outside jobs most of my life so staying home because it's cold and snowy/rainy is a lame excuse. That's just my opinion, but like I said, I don't know anyone that wouldn't attend a home game because of weather. GB has a waiting list for season tickets and sells out every home game. Guess they have more loyal fans than Buffalo. And it gets a hell of a lot colder there.

wouldnt something like this work and be awesome?

20110820_SEAHAWKS_MINN_1060.jpg?__SQUARE

Best stadium I've ever been to(not the absolute best fans, which is a title I reserve for those at the Ralph, but Hawks fans are a good bunch too) Was quite good last week and will be better this week with the Pack in town. Love them garlic fries and those PNW brews!