NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

I completely agree Dean. Unless Rex turns this defense into a historic 2000 Ravens or 86 Bears defense, I don't see how he helps us. Some say, "well at least we don't have to worry about our defense." We were top 3 last season with a garbage offense. How could you be worried at all?

Our defense is not the problem. Our offense is. And we're in the exact same situation we were in two weeks ago, needing a top flight OC and more talent on offense.

To me, this is like the Packers hiring Chan Gailey as HC. What is even the point?

Rex can improve our offense somewhat simply by not being a vindictive conniving little beyotch like Marrone. You know, like playing the best players, featuring Sammy and not being thin skinned and defensive about mistakes he may make. To take two steps forward we will likely need guard help, TE help and QB help.

The guards and TE could happen in FA or the draft. The QB help could happen through EJ improving or getting in a vet FA and would seem to be the toughest problem to fix. I doubt anyone in the draft would be an immediate fix. The people saying EJ is hopeless don't seem to get specific too often; they seem to repeat general things they have heard or seen. I don't buy it, I think he deserves a shot but I'm far from being 100% confident. To me if Bradford's big contract gets him bounced from St. Louis, you pounce right away. If healthy.....a huge if....he is light years ahead of the other available options. Rex or no Rex, Sanchez blows and I think it would be a baaaaaaaaaad move to pick him up. Some of the others are Meh.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True...He's coming here to be a HC...And hopefully he learned a lot in his first stint...

I think he sees the talent on Offense and probably assumes he can get more out of that group than Marrone did with a legit OC...But no doubt the key question here is what can Rex do to help this Offense...And I'm completely unaware of the answer...I've looked over the Jets stats a bit today and the most glaring stat to me outside of their Pass Offense, which was basically nonexistent, was their three and out percentage...They were 4th worst in the NFL...The Jets went three and out 26.34 percent of the time on drives...More than one out of every four drives was three and out...Ouch!...Then again the Bills were not much better...24.87%...Roman's Offense in San Fran was 13th best in the league with a 19.1 three and out percentage...

So...anyway...it's all about the Offense...Again...We'll see I guess...But I'm certainly not convinced Rex can fix it based on his history...Hopefully he's learned something we don't know about... B-)

Agreed. But judging on how his coaching declined in his first stint, I'm less that optimistic. Still I am hopeful.

Yea. A future where Rex does really good again for two years after inheriting a stacked team (defensively at least), and then finishes out the last three years of his contract with losing records.

So Whaley is going to suck you say?

Agreed. But judging on how his coaching declined in his first stint, I'm less that optimistic. Still I am hopeful.

As long as Whaley hits on his draft picks and FA pickups Rex shouldn't have many problems.

Hell last year they had 13+ draft picks... How many made the team or even started?

Edited by Beef Jerky

Typically with coaches and players the past is a decent indicator of the future. But there is no guarantee Rex will even give the Bills two good years. Then again, he might be a raging success. I sure hope they hired Rex with better logic than "maybe he won't flop because things could change".

I'm not sure how typical it is or isn't. Off the top of my head I can think of a number of coaches with more success the 2nd time around. Belicheck, Levy, Carroll, Rivera, probably quite a few that flamed out after success. I think it all comes down to good timing, Marv was the right coach at the right time for the Bills, I would think with a strong offense, being a good coach, Ryan could be the right coach at the right time.

not even remotely happy about this, a defensive coach would make sense if there was a problem with the d. but a coach who never seemed to be able to get a offense working right coming to a team that's weak point is it offense just seems stupid. yeah its splashy but i don't know if most bills fans are going to get excited about this one. hopefully the OC is makes it worth it

Rex seems like a lousy fit on multiple levels....

I secretly wonder if this unholy union lasts the summer.....

I think Rex has been a better head coach than Schwartz was in Detroit. Rex did take two of his teams to the AFC Championship game.

While I tend to agree, Rex also had the luxury of taking over a 9-7 team, while Schwartz got an 0-16 one. It's close enough that I could really be swayed either way, and there are clear benefits of promoting in house.

Rex Ryan, welcome to Buffalo! We're going to the Super Bowl next year!

I am posting this everywhere because this is fantastic to see. This guy is the best wrestler in the world right now and a Bills fan, an Olympic Gold Medalist, as well. Super fun to follow on Twitter, and very funny guy. I had no idea he was a Bills fan until seeing his comment today.

Edited by jboyst62

I am posting this everywhere because this is fantastic to see. This guy is the best wrestler in the world right now and a Bills fan, an Olympic Gold Medalist, as well. Super fun to follow on Twitter, and very funny guy. I had no idea he was a Bills fan until seeing his comment today.

His wife is a Canisius grad, if I'm not mistaken.

May not be the perfect hire but not a lot of experienced HC out there and I think that's what the Bills wanted

I can agree with this. I wasn't thrilled at first, but after looking the rest of the prospects over I am beginning to think he might be the pick of the litter. I like his attitude toward New England and he does sometimes beat them.

I agree 100%, Dean. He's what the Bills needed at the time though to bring them out of the barren '70s (1 playoff appearance in '74). His defense in 1980 was fantastic & 'The Bermuda Triangle' was fun to watch. Had Fergy not been hobbled by a bum ankle in San Diego, I do think that the Bills would've gone to the Super Bowl that year and Knox may have been able to shed the "not the guy to get you to the next level" tag.

I remember Knox and I thought he was a good coach he was running game and defense but he let Fergy throw it too. I remember the San Diego game and still feel bad about it. I also think if Fergy had been healthy we might have done great things that year.

Zero playoff victories?

He was with ravens for years.. If Quinn had five years experience that would be Rex .. Roman was present as they coaxed that year out of cap and only he and harbaugh know who did that .. .. Considering our choices and not getting Cowher I think the pegs did well for us . I only care what the players think.. We will see as the first fa start to sign if they think we finally got it right

I think ej is nearly as athletic as cap and about as accurate , just had his confidence destroyed and may be a bust . He has his best shot with four new eyes and Bradford Sanchez or cutler to compete with and prob petty or whoever someone on this board compiled a great list 2 to 7 round qbs.. It's amazing what real competition in camp will do which he has never had .. He's a well groomed red shirt senior essentially and if it's Sanchez he might win the job. Not sure if it makes after watching Texas but I am just glad it's not marrone making the call ..

I remember Knox and I thought he was a good coach he was running game and defense but he let Fergy throw it too. I remember the San Diego game and still feel bad about it. I also think if Fergy had been healthy we might have done great things that year.

You're not the only one.

I'm not quite sure what I think about this hire, except that he's shown to be a tough boss, a player's coach, and knows how to play the media. The Front Office here will clearly have his back - unlike the ****-show in NYC.

It should be interesting to say the least, and I think we're headed for the playoffs under Rex this year.

I hope this will be a fun ride.

Go Bills!

Now that Rex has his foot in the door. The team better take the the next step. We dipped our toes into the Rex pool and expect him to take us to the big dance. Let's just hope it is not a case of management tripping over themselves. Maybe on Monday, we will get official word on the OC and DC ... And be able to judge whether 2015 is starting off on the right foot.

Do not underestimate how much that played a role in this. If New England didn't make us a whipping boy for 10+ years this team would have made the playoffs, maybe a couple time. We have had some solid starts since the drought started, whats been consistent is NE crushing those solid starts and our inability to play for a division title because of the dominance the Patriots have over us. Even during our best stretches since the playoff drought, the best I ever thought was Wild Card. NE just made the division seem like and impossible goal.

Exactly. The past 15 years has seen the playing out to our detriment of two parallel events: The emergence and consistent excellence of Tom Brady and the slow dissolution of our organization under an aging, increasingly out-of-touch owner. The latter reality is now history. Next season, the first full one of the Pegula era, looks to be very different from those to which we've grown accustomed. And the former reality? Well, the same specter now knocking on Peyton Manning's door is coming for Tom Brady next. No more kissing Patriot rings and ass. To be the best you have to beat throttle the best.