NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then thank God he's keeping Jim Schwartz in place to run one of the most dominant defenses in the league.

Pettine was the big loss for both NYJ and Bills.

Havent heard anywhere that Schwartz was retained. Is it done? If so and Rex keeps his hands off the D (cant see that can you?) that would be a helpful.

I feel good about the hire, Dean. I mean in a deep down intuitive way and I'm always right when I feel that way.

So, keep the faith, this one is gonna turn out fantastically.

Well, I'm glad you are sure.

I like the hire. Buffalo needs a guy that has our back, he's a far better coach then Marrone and at the very least we will slightly increase in productivity next season.

Couldn't have proven it this year. Rex SUCKED!

Havent heard anywhere that Schwartz was retained. Is it done? If so and Rex keeps his hands off the D (cant see that can you?) that would be a helpful.

Why was Pettine a big loss for the Bills? I liked Pettine but we improved.

The report from the Bills beat writer is that Rex has asked Schwartz to stay, and wants him to stay. We haven't heard from Schwartz yet. I will bet that the Pegulas make Schwartz the highest paid DC in the league for the next two years.

One thing the Jets did, which I assume was a Rex suggestion or order, was to immediately get the ball 10-15 times a game to Percy Harvin in a bunch of different ways. And he will want to get Sammy involved a lot more.

So if Rex keeps Schwartz as DC and doesn't try to change the D----and obviously keeps his hands off the Offense, as he is a proven disaster on that side of the ball---he can be in charge of everything else. His hand can be all over press conferences, bold predictions and women's feet. Perfect!

From Kemp in the snout box

Bills Daily retweeted

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 11m11 minutes ago

I'm told by several that Rex Ryan lost interest in Atlanta because front office is too involved. Rex wants less hands in pot. #bills

I THINK THIS means what I have been thinking all along. Rex will take control on the football field. The rest of the organization takes care of the rest. He gets the roster, runs the locker room, runs the game. He may get some input but he wants to assemble a top notch staff and oversee it as a CEO type HC. I think under the ideal situations he will succeed doing so.

Again, the last four years Rex had little say AND had two idiots bringing in players to fill the roster, both of whom got fired for it. Players like playing for "player's coaches."

The point is, the combination of Rex Ryan, the roster, and Daddy Warbucks, is going to make the Bills a far more desirable spot for FAs than in the last twenty years, Mario Williams and deers in the backyard and $100m notwithstanding.

Rex had no say in Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson? Seriously?

Not a big fan of this hire or recycled head coaches but will give this like all the other men Buffalo hired a chance. Rex needs to get above average quality assistants. The Offensive Coordinator, OL coach and QB coach will be key in getting this moribund offense rolling. A top 20 Offense coupled with the Defense staying at its current level of play will get the Bills into the play offs. Now EJ will get his shot to prove he can start.

I THINK THIS means what I have been thinking all along. Rex will take control on the football field. The rest of the organization takes care of the rest. He gets the roster, runs the locker room, runs the game. He may get some input but he wants to assemble a top notch staff and oversee it as a CEO type HC. I think under the ideal situations he will succeed doing so.

Great plan! Give the keys to a guy who has NEVER been in charge of personnel. Because HCs trying to do both their job and the GM job usually works out to well, :rolleyes:

Why do you hope he keeps his hands off the D?

I want Schwartz to stay and remain the DC. I don't want the team to completely change the scheme.

But we are adding Kiko back in to an elite talent group that was good before Schwartz worked with them, and Rex is a very smart defensive coach. I think unless there is too strong a conflict of personalities, having Schwartz do what he does and be the continuity, and have Ryan work with him and add to the mix and drive for excellence using his extensive experience and talents would be the awesome first choice.

But this defense got better when going from Pettine to Schwartz, and I don't think will collapse if we end up losing Schwartz, but more importantly can get better if Ryan can add to what Schwartz is already doing.

I think media savvy protects the team and keeps the focus on winning +1 over marrone

I hope Rex has learned his lesson and roman calls plays .. If so no Hackett on the job training +1 over marrone

Free agent pool extends from sf to jets to rest of nfl where Udfa and guys following roman and Rex

Another +1 over marrone

If he keeps Schwartz it's a possible tell if true ...he is less ego more depth and commitment to winning is all that matters assembling good football minds.. +1 again

I believe that all this glitz and pr may blow up in our faces.. If Whaley drafts well and they keep defense intact and get o line and qb options .. Rex strength of character may outweigh his weakness and it may elevate all involved.. Maybe

Over all how can you really dislike the move?

Don't you believe it is just a way to lure the qb and o line fa to buffalo that put us over the top with a coach that will step on the neck of the pats instead of tucking tail and punting ..

Doesn't this hire scream possible team unity for one year at least where they were tolerating marrone?

It's hard to tell and easy to hate a puss that leaves our buffalo without a presser and slinks away with an enviable payday and cowardly group text .. I'm glad marrone won't punt anymore when season is on the line.. I am not sold at all on Rex as he did regress the past two years but I am more glad dougie isn't infecting the team with conservative cowardly mediocrity when only the top third make it to relevancy

Ryan has something to prove. Thats fantastic motivation really. He is going to be the head coach. i think that keeping My Boy Jim S is Huge comment as to Ryans plan. Let him give the O coordinator leeway and we Bills fans might have something.

Thinking on this, its smart move by the Pegulas. Maybe the most exciting too.

wait.. i hope this isnt a RB hire ?

Rex had no say in Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson? Seriously?

It's been reported that the jets typically let him make one choice in the draft, but I don't think it's at the top of the draft. This year his pick was Taj Boyd in the 6th round. ;) Maybe that's why they don't let him draft.

So Rex Ryan is his own football czar?

It's been reported that the jets typically let him make one choice in the draft, but I don't think it's at the top of the draft. This year his pick was Taj Boyd in the 6th round. ;) Maybe that's why they don't let him draft.

They've drafted 8 defensive players the last 4 years in rounds 1-3. I can't imagine Rex has only had "say" on 4 of them.

Still not official:

Process of trying to hire Rex Ryan as #Bills HC had Brandon & Whaley up most of night. Source tells me they're "still grinding."

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 7m7 minutes ago

Update: #Bills president Russ Brandon & GM Doug Whaley still working on deal in Florida to hire Rex Ryan as HC.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Great hire. I said since Marrone left to double down on defense and go get an OC. Love it. Hope he keeps Schwartz so they can be a true hybrid D. But if not no big deal. The D under Pettine could not stop the run because the LB's including Kiko were awful at stopping the run. The run D may take a slight step back with Rex but the turnovers and QB pressure should be nuts.

Next steps:

1. Franchise Hughes

2. Sign Searcy - he should be a beast in this D

3. Extend Dareus as highest paid D lineman in the league

4. Extend Glenn at top 10 LT money

5. Go get Cutler

Which players win/lose with this choice interests me. Unclear as this depends on what D he runs.

If 3-4:

Hughes is likely gone as we have 3 Pro Bowl worthy DL players under contract, but I am not sure what this means as 2 of our 3 DL Pro Bowlers are NT types.

Spikes stays and Alonso joins him as ILB in 3-4.

On O, Ryan teams failed in effort to develop either Sanchez or Geno, can they develop EJ.

Its up to Pegs and Ryan to make this work, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a fan.

Great hire. I said since Marrone left to double down on defense and go get an OC. Love it. Hope he keeps Schwartz so they can be a true hybrid D. But if not no big deal. The D under Pettine could not stop the run because the LB's including Kiko were awful at stopping the run. The run D may take a slight step back with Rex but the turnovers and QB pressure should be nuts.

Next steps:

1. Franchise Hughes

2. Sign Searcy - he should be a beast in this D

3. Extend Dareus as highest paid D lineman in the league

4. Extend Glenn at top 10 LT money

5. Go get Cutler

Why # 1 as Ryan runs a 3-4 normally and if he keeps Hughes which Pro Bowl DL player do you cut or bench?

Why # 5 as Ryan has not successfully developed Sanchez or Geno?

This team needed an experienced hc and I was expecting and wanting Shanahan, Mike. I think Rex will work out just fine for us though. Knows how to beat the Pats and that helps us. He needs to show himself as being a good head coach NOW.

Dean, you are out of your element as a pissed off poster.

I think I get your feelings on Rex but think you will see that this was the way forward. Doug Marrone quit on the team, the players, his assistant coaches, the owner, the guys that hired him. And not to mention he seemingly alienated everyone he came in contact with. How he chose not to stay on is beyond me. Pegulas seem to be very loyal people and treat everyone with respect, dignity and class.

Maybe that's it. Those are characteristics Doug does not have and maybe all that made him feel uncomfortable?

Him quitting us will be the best thing to happen in a long time. You see the response from Pegulas to instant problem they were not expecting to have to deal with. I like how they handled it and what they came up with. This is worth celebrating as a Bills fan as this is not how things would have shaken out any time in the past.

Viva El Pegual!

Great plan! Give the keys to a guy who has NEVER been in charge of personnel. Because HCs trying to do both their job and the GM job usually works out to well, :rolleyes:

personnel? Like assembling the coaching staff and harmony among philosophies. Jeesh Debbie Downer. You're pesimism is nearly stojanic.

I fully believe Ryan can be the HCnwith superior assistants.

Don't ever franchise a complimentary player .. I agree with keeping d intact but remove any cancer that is like Byrd . Anything over seven mil lets make another player like Hughes a star .. What did bryce paup do afyer he was signed away from here.. Btw I really hope Hughes stays. Sorry don't know how to quote

Still not official:

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 4m4 minutes ago

Process of trying to hire Rex Ryan as #Bills HC had Brandon & Whaley up most of night. Source tells me they're "still grinding."

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 7m7 minutes ago

Update: #Bills president Russ Brandon & GM Doug Whaley still working on deal in Florida to hire Rex Ryan as HC.

Sexton looking for another crazy clause? If Rex is not a complete Richard Head he gets 1%!of the team.

I tried to google Ryan and his influence on the draft and stopped after about 10 articles when all they talked about was Idzik, except for three references to Taj Boyd.

We can disagree, it's no big deal. I would just be shocked if a guy with a defensive rep like Rex Ryan had little input on defensive players. Offensive players I can understand. But post two AFCCG's, I'd let him pick whoever he wants on the defensive side of the ball. Or at least take his input very seriously.

Someone provided this link earlier. Nice read and I love the third last paragraph and certainly sums it up for me.

"There will probably be a firestorm or two along the way — try not to flip anyone the bird, Rex — but the reward will be greater than the risk. The Bills will be a team no one will want to play. Buffalo Bullies."

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-is-now-the-jets-worst-nightmare/

Edited by beerme1