Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

He knew what the parameters of the trade were. The Bills were calling every team from the top of the draft down. He knew it was two number ones.

It was a number 1 and a number 4. We didn't give up two # 1's. We swapped our #1 in 2014 for theirs, so we still had a 1st rd pick. We gave up one 1st rd pick and a 4th rd pick, not two 1st rd picks. Right?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The appropriate debate should be between:

(a) who would the Bills have chosen at #9 (probably Ebron) and who they could have drafted this year with #19 (#9 was NEVER going to be Beckham); and

(b) Sammy Watkins

Beckham doesn't and shouldn't enter the discussion.

Sorry, I disagree. ODB went only a few picks after the Bills' original slot. The suggestion that Whaley might have picked Ebron ( who looked pretty good last night BTW) instead of ODB, if true, is nothing more than evidence of Whaley's ineptitude. That the backup plan sucked does not vindicate the Watkins trade/pick. And don't forget the 4th rounder. Some of those guys can play, too. Edited by mannc

It was a number 1 and a number 4. We didn't give up two # 1's. We swapped our #1 in 2014 for theirs, so we still had a 1st rd pick. We gave up one 1st rd pick and a 4th rd pick, not two 1st rd picks. Right?

we exchanged 2 #1s for 1 #1, lets not get into the semantics of it all AGAIN. we all understand what the trade was.

No, it's frustrating as hell. The question was never whether to draft Watkins or Beckham with the traded pick, and arguing about it now is senseless. NOBODY had Beckham rated that highly. Let's stay on point.

It is absolutely pure conjecture but its being talked about because Beckham had an amazing rookie season while the numbers Watkins put up while good, paled in comparison. There's no question Beckham had a better rookie campaign and looks like the best receiver of the draft class after one season.

So the debate is would the Bills have been better off taking Beckham at #9 and keeping this years 1st round choice? After one season the raw numbers imply the answer is 'yes'. But one season does not a career make.

You can argue that circumstances and situations being different there's absolutely no possibility that Beckham would have put up anything close to what he did if he was playing in the Bills 2014 offense. And inversely, you could argue that putting Watkins in an offensive system that focused on getting the ball to the wideouts run by a two-time Super Bowl QB would have generated much better stats than Sammy was able to under the Bills offensive system with Manuel and Orton running the offense with play calling from Hackett. And playing a schedule where you faced of 7 of the top 10 pass defenses in the league where the Giants faced 2 of the 10 and lost both games.

we exchanged 2 #1s for 1 #1, lets not get into the semantics of it all AGAIN. we all understand what the trade was.

we exchanged a #1 and traded a #1 and a # 4 for a # 1. semantics aside, just wanted to make sure we all understand the trade, like you claim we all do. when someone see's it written that we gave up 2 # 1's, it makes the trade sound like what it wasn't. it clearly wasn't exchanging 2 #1's for 1 #1 either.

we exchanged a #1 and traded a #1 and a # 4 for a # 1. semantics aside, just wanted to make sure we all understand the trade, like you claim we all do. when someone see's it written that we gave up 2 # 1's, it makes the trade sound like what it wasn't. it clearly wasn't exchanging 2 #1's for 1 #1 either.

The mental gymnastics our fan base uses to praise this trade never fails to disappoint.

The mental gymnastics our fan base uses to praise this trade never fails to disappoint.

Don't you mean "The mental gymnastics our fan base uses to praise rip this trade never fails to disappoint."? and where do you get that I was praising this trade?! again, semantics aside all I ask is we quit making it seem like we gave up more than what we did. It's not mental gymnastics, the #'s are pretty easy to decipher.

twist however you want, in exchange for the rights for sammy we used 2 #1 picks.

thats not good, bad or ugly spin on it. we wouldve used a pick this year on SOMEBODY, but in order to get our guy we used more than 1.

twist however you want, in exchange for the rights for sammy we used 2 #1 picks.

thats not good, bad or ugly spin on it. we wouldve used a pick this year on SOMEBODY, but in order to get our guy we used more than 1.

sorry you didn't like my "twist" on the facts.

These guys are idiots! Brandon is a fool. They should all be acting professionally. Jumping around like goofs when they should be humble knowing the draft is a crap shoot and trading away the 2015 #1 pick to move up a few spots is a huge gamble. They should be nervously telling each other they hope this works out. They show their stupidity in acting like anything is a sure thing, especially picking Kujo with the second pick with so many questions about him. They didn't "win" anything. All they did was find someone willing to take next years number one pick off their hands. For an organization that has missed on so many picks and with our history they shouldn't be carrying on like they know anything. Especially Overdorf and Brandon - how many playoff games have you led us to in the past 15 years?

I saw the Schefter report too. If true, the rift between Whaley and Marrone started over the trade, then I am glad he is gone. Marrone has come across since the end of the season as petty, thin skinned and a bit of a diva.

a HUGE Diva.

@john_wawrow: Odd about Marrone storming off when Sammy selected. He seemed to hide his displeasure well under "veil of excitement" while staying in room.

And there, my friends, you have it -- precisely as I have stated since this "story" broke. Marrone will not get another HC job in this league. Enjoy your $4M, douchebag.

The big difference is on completion percentage on targeted passes of 10 yards plus.

Yeah, that was pretty stark. Then again, I wonder how many soft zone defenses Eli was seeing because they were always playing from behind.

Regardless, he got the ball to ODB when Orton struggled to get it to Sammy...