Did Marrone/Whaley rift start with Sammy Watkins selection?

NoSaint

What Odell Beckham did this year was very rare in the NFL. When players come out and have rookie seasons like this it is not an accident. It means they are going to be one of the all time greats. The only thing that can stop Beckham from having a sure fire first ballot HOF career and being considered one of the greatest WR's of all time is injury.

So, we will mark you down as OBJ HOF. What did you think about Andre Reed after his first season? Chris Carter? More modestly Eric Moulds?

One year does not a career make and in case your experience with the Bills hasn't taught you anything a WR is dependent on the QB.

I assume that because you hold OBJ so much higher than Watkins that you have also written off his chance for a HOF career.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Odell Beckham did this year was very rare in the NFL. When players come out and have rookie seasons like this it is not an accident. It means they are going to be one of the all time greats. The only thing that can stop Beckham from having a sure fire first ballot HOF career and being considered one of the greatest WR's of all time is injury.

Maybe you should become a Giants fan?

Yea, that never happens. Robert Griffin III says hi. Offensive rookie of the year, highest QB rating ever by a rookie QB, led the NFL in YPA in 2012 and has the highest YPA for a rookie QB, 2nd highest completion percentage for a rookie QB.

Look at him now. I'm pretty sure he's being fitted as I type this for his gold jacket.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

And we're hearing about this now why? It would have been a HUGE story for Schefter to break right after the draft.

Sexton is Schefter's agent too. Schefter is another lackey to spin press the way Marrone and Sexton want it.

Dude...

well Doug changed all that, didn't he? Sammy wins. QB TBD. New OC will absolutely have a plan for Watkins if Whaley is indeed in charge of the search.

I understand why we did it, and I'm glad he's on our team, because he is a stud... just yeah, it's a risky move when we're weak at the QB position. Here's hoping EJ develops with new staff/scheme, as I just don't see any FA QB being anything better than what Orton provided us.

The 1996 WR class was maybe the best one prior to this year.

Lots of very good ones including Keyshawn Johnson and Eric Moulds and Hall of Famers in Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison.

The best of that group as a rookie...by A LOT...was Terry Glenn.

He was breathtaking to watch. Acrobatic. Great hands. Great speed. Mind boggling numbers for a rookie.

Most gifted of the bunch.

Bad hamstrings though.

And thus.....completely forgotten.

Except maybe for being called "she" by Bill Parcells.

OBJ missed about 6 months of football from spring thru fall with the a bad hamstring.

That is kinda' red-flaggish.

You are right though, IF he can stay healthy he should be the best of the group.

So NO national or local reporters were aware of Saint Doug's supposed displeasure with the Watkins trade back when it happened? Come on, people. That would have been a juicy story and any reporter would have run with it. Some of you are so gullible.

I understand why we did it, and I'm glad he's on our team, because he is a stud... just yeah, it's a risky move when we're weak at the QB position. Here's hoping EJ develops with new staff/scheme, as I just don't see any FA QB being anything better than what Orton provided us.

i completely agree it's risky.. But think the QB part is slightly overplayed. Is it risky because he doesn't have a great QB to throw to him? I look at it as that is why you go get the best, his skill set - at age 21 btw - makes any QB more successful. You saw that by his catch radius, sick route running and crazy focus. Teams with great QBs really don't need WRs like that, the QBs make THEM look better.

Or, is it risky because the lack of a 1st rounder prohibits the team from taking another QB this year? There are currently 2 QBs with 1st rd grades and neither will be there close to 19.

Any other position that the Bills would have taken in the 1st can be acquired in FA.

It was risky, but I believe the reward outweighs the risk.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yea, that never happens. Robert Griffin III says hi. Offensive rookie of the year, highest QB rating ever by a rookie QB, led the NFL in YPA in 2012 and has the highest YPA for a rookie QB, 2nd highest completion percentage for a rookie QB.

Look at him now. I'm pretty sure he's being fitted as I type this for his gold jacket.

You are right. The Griffin situation is very similar to Beckham. Scrambling QB's who have success in year one and then get figured out are very similar to WR's who put up fantastic numbers every game they play in. Beckham will almost certainly regress a lot and be a middling receiver. Also, Randy Moss says hello.

You are right. The Griffin situation is very similar to Beckham. Scrambling QB's who have success in year one and then get figured out are very similar to WR's who put up fantastic numbers every game they play in. Beckham will almost certainly regress a lot and be a middling receiver. Also, Randy Moss says hello.

Yea great example... Randy Moss, who actually played all 16 games as a rookie. :rolleyes:

Gee why wasn't ODJ able to play all 16, oh that's right bad hamstrings.

It's funny I point to a rookie who had a phenomenal rookie year by all measures and has since regressed. But I guess you knew that was coming huh?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Yea great example... Randy Moss, who actually played all 16 games as a rookie. :rolleyes:

Gee why wasn't ODJ able to play all 16, oh that's right bad hamstrings.

It stings so much that Watkins isn't the best WR in the draft that you have to come up with any criticism you can to make one of the best talents in years so that he looks inferior to Watkins. Dude Beckham is great. He has been great from day one and like barring injuries going to be a sure fire first ballot HOFamer. Laugh all you want that he only played 12 games but he did only play 12 games and blew Sammy Watkins out of the water. I know it hurts but Beckham is better than Watkins.

Edited by Proteus

It stings so much that Watkins isn't the best WR in the draft that you have to come up with any criticism you can to make one of the best talents in years so that he looks inferior to Watkins. Dude Beckham is great. He has been great from day one and like barring injuries going to be a sure fire first ballot HOFamer. Laugh all you want that he only played 12 games but he did only play 12 games and blew Sammy Watkins out of the water. I know it hurts but Beckham is better than Watkins.

It doesn't sting at all. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE BEST WR IS AND ARE ACTING LIKE YOU DO. Why don't you get that? I post a player that completely destroys your theory on Beckham.

Great from day one? His first 3 games he averaged 35 yards per game. Looks awesome. Randy Moss averaged 74 YPG, Again, wrong.

ELI>ORTON>EJ Give credit where credit is due. Whats your name on the Giants board?

There seems to be a line of thinking on this board, that rookies will never be better then what they are.

I really, really don't get it.

I heard both Marrone and Pat Morris talking about Richardson during the season while interviewed on GR. They both said that they had to completely start over with him once he got to camp because of the offense, and techniques that he was taught while playing at Baylor. It's no wonder he looked terrible and was struggling. He was a 5th round draft pick. You don't really expect a 5th round pick to be playing as a rookie. It happens once in awhile but not often. The vast majority of 5th round picks never make it as backups.

A salient point: this is part of Marrone's pr campaign intended to ease his entry into NY. Who is the hottest football player in NY right now? Beckham. Criticizing the Watkins pick is easy cheese from a pr perspective given the nyc setting.

More broadly, Marrone's incredibly transparent usage (via his agent) of the media to mount a campaign of slander against his former employer tells you everything you need to know about him as a person. He's a dishonorable, self-serving, win-at-all-costs type who will stop at nothing. I'm glad he's gone, but the sad fact is that these sorts of people can succeed in a cutthroat league like the NFL. I sure hope he fails now, but I continue to believe he's a decent coach. I hope I'm wrong about that.

So NO national or local reporters were aware of Saint Doug's supposed displeasure with the Watkins trade back when it happened? Come on, people. That would have been a juicy story and any reporter would have run with it. Some of you are so gullible.

Yeah - I really don't get that part at all.