Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

Oh he's no rube. More likely he has an agenda. I'm sure he thinks Marrone is a bad hire and he's trying to steer the Jets decision. Power of the press, you know.

I write for a living and there is no way my editor would let me write a story like that. But maybe the rules are different for him.

If you write for a newspaper, your editor would let you publish it if he trusted you and your sources.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world would Mehta try to steer the Jets' decision, as opposed to simply writing what he belives to be true?

He can write an opinion piece and that's fine. But he's making a lot of claims without anything to back them up.

Let me ask you this...Right off the bat he describes Marrone driving in his SUV after he GB game getting annoyed at the radio. But how does he know that happened? He never says he was with Marrone or that he asked Marrone what he was doing after the GB game. So where does that come from? Mehta paints a very clear picture of an intimate activity but never explains how he'd know that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Thanks for posting this. This should be re-read by everyone here. I recall at the time a mass of posters ripping LaCanfora. Turns out he was basically reporting the truth.

Thanks for posting this. This should be re-read by everyone here. I recall at the time a mass of posters ripping LaCanfora. Turns out he was basically reporting the truth.

Some just don't want to believe it.

According to them we mean fans and our meanies on the radio are to blame for running a great coach out of town...

I mentioned this earlier. A LOT of people here were saying "nothing to see here, move along" and "this is just two strong personalities butting heads. we need strong personalities to succeed".

He can write an opinion piece and that's fine. But he's making a lot of claims without anything to back them up.

Let me ask you this...Right off the bat he describes Marrone driving in his SUV after he GB game getting annoyed at the radio. But how does he know that happened? He never says he was with Marrone or that he asked Marrone what he was doing after the GB game. So where does that come from? Mehta paints a very clear picture of an intimate activity but never explains how he'd know that.

Look, as I said...you choose to believe he's making it up (to influence the Jets---good one!). That's fine.

I have defended Marrone and do think that much of the media criticism during the season was over the top and myopic.

Having said all that, I cannot stand the way Marrone and Sexton have tried to spin it AND try to hurt the organization that gave him his big break. Brandon must feel betrayed as well.

I hope that the Jets get cold feet and leave him at the alter. If Marrone does not get the Jets HC job, there is a good chance Marrone will never be a HC in the NFL ever again.

I'm sure Marrone's agent will have something ready for Schefter, Rapaport, Greenberg and the rest tomorrow to restore his Sainthood.

Lol. Marrone is using Polian already. I continue to think he's a decent coach, but he may well be too toxic. I'd steer clear if I was an owner.

I was fairly harsh with my critique of EJ, it is obvious I may have been wrong. Obviously next year we need to let him rip so that we can see what he really is as a qb. It should be obvious what we have after we let him play...

What's ironic is that Marrone sees himself as the next Parcells or Coughlin, yet those are two coaches implored their young QBs (Simms and Manning) to throw the ball down the field and take chances. Throwing interceptions is a right of passage for most young QBs that eventually become franchise QBs. Parcells yelled at Simms one time for checking it down. He told Simms if he didn't throw two interceptions that day that he'd bench him because he wasn't trying hard enough. As for Coughlin, he's always trusted Manning even though he's always thrown a lot of interceptions. To become a franchise QB, you have to prove a consistent ability to complete passes down the field or you will never amount to anything. In almost every game you must challenge the defense with deep passes. Marrone gave Manuel the worst coaching he could receive by telling him to check it down all the time because you never ever want to throw interceptions. In this offense, Manuel was never given a real opportunity to show he's a franchise QB. Now we will truly start to see what we have in EJ Manuel.

Edited by 1billsfan

It was plain to me that Marrone would be nothing more than an average NFL HC.

Typical lousy hire by the Bills/Buddy Nix.

Wasn't Buddy the one who drafted Manuel in R1 as well?? Yep.

Now you know why the Bills are where they are.

Bring in a proven NFL HC for a change instead of these hopeful, "never have done a damn thing in the NFL" type guys.

What an !@#$. Remember when he was named nicest head coach in the country because he returned one or two phone calls while with syracuse? Ha! This guy is childish. I hope his career is over. Some team would be nuts to hire him if this stuff keeps coming out. It is pretty clear that most people did not think highly of him.

Not me. I'm still hoping the Jets hire him!

Look, as I said...you choose to believe he's making it up (to influence the Jets---good one!). That's fine.

I'll make a deal with you. I'll show that story to my boss and I'll ask him if he would let me write a story like that and I'll let you know what he says.

I'll make a deal with you. I'll show that story to my boss and I'll ask him if he would let me write a story like that and I'll let you know what he says.

If he's the editor of a New York or other major city daily newspaper, of course he will.

Lots of quality sources in the article. Like Mr. Unnamed and a 'source close to.' Very good.

I can't believe how the media has made me defend this guy.

As a coach (and any fan with a brain will tell you) his comments on Goodwin are spot on. You bet your tail I wouldn't be able to trust him.

ALL coaches have and know who those injury prone guys are. Somehow it's 'reported' by this supposed knowledgeable sports reporter as a negative.

Let that sink in when as you read this crap--the sources.

I feel more and more that there are a lot of Buffalo sports media types that get off feeling like they have the influence to run off coaches.

What WGR has done to the fan base is disgusting. They all let their own personal petty feelings cloud theirs and everyone else's judgement. Think Schopp clamoring for him to be fired bc he's not "interesting."

Didn't Spikes make some comments about his time could be described in New England as 4 years a slave?

Who cares. This is a hit piece by a reporter who obviously hopes it will help the Jets hire someone else....like some innovative college guy.

Approve videos for the bills site? Lmao. F marrone.

I'm glad Mike shopp trashing him hurt his feelings. GTFO.

That struck me the most from that article too about approving the videos. So that is why he needed to get to the stadium so badly during the snowstom? GTFO is right.

Where do you stand on Deep Throat's anonymity vis-a-vis the Watergate burglarly?? Seriously, check out this story, which is one of most important pieces of reporting in the past decade. All the sources are anonymous: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/politics/16program.html?pagewanted=all .

I'm hardly comparing Mehta, who does in fact have an agenda (fostering controversy and getting after the Jets' owner), to reporters who cover serious issues. But anonymized sources are a staple of any story in which the basic narrative is speaking truth to power.

Edited by dave mcbride