Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things I liked about Marrone away from gamedays:

That he seemed heavily invested in the reclamation of Marcel Dareus.

That he seemed willing to let Mike Williams help this team out after their SU history. That seemed like he was making a wise choice.

That he seemed to be asserting his authority by sending messages to Woods and Hughes about either work their ethic or taking their complaints public.

That he seemed wise when he told EJ upon his benching that what how he handled himself next would matter greatly to his career and that he should be prepared for much crap to be directed at him going forward.

That he seemed never satisfied with wins because he thought there was so much more that they could be and that it was his job to get them there.

That he seemed to be doing what was best for his team when he benched EJ saying that they needed more production from the position.

While all these things seemed right to me at the time there are other spins that could be made to each one of them. Then there's this. That shouting match in the August practice. I think that was Marrone doing all the shouting. He was just as guilty as Hughes about airing disagreements publicly.

Coaches with sour dispositions are nothing new. In fact, many of the greats have been wired that way. This does not pardon any behavior that demeaned Bills staff. I doubt that we are talking Brandon/Whaley here. I think this is about the cleaning crew, PR, the cooks, the sales and equipment staff. It's one thing to be hard on your players in an attempt to get the best out of them or to cue them in that public challnges to his authority are not the way to go. It's totally another to subject everyone else in your work environment to your sour disposition in some lame attempt to make yourself feel superior to them.

I've been a Bills fan literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. I have never witnessed

such a severe case of mass hysteria...of a

widely shared psychotic

delusion. I'm talking

about Marrone. The Bills

just blew it. We had the

guy! We chased him

away. At least 90% of

the criticism of him is

total crap. He just led the Bills to their best season in a decade and all the local media and what seems like the majority of fans ship could do was to be hypercritical and, in the process, focused on a couple of bad trees and never seeing the forest.

Cases in point:

The Bills went 9-7 primarily because of their defense. But..this is Marrone's defense. He put it together, not Schwartz. He rightly gets the credit as head coach. To me this is not even debatable. They didn't go 9-7 because of Schwartz. They did so because of Marrone. Period.

Overall the offense was pretty poor. But as we all know we had no o- line and no QB. What Marrone and Hackett accomplished with this offense is rather miraculous. Seriously. Totally wrong about Hackett. Play calling was fine and had to be tailored to the major limitations of the QB's. After the bye they got Orton up to snuff about as much as possible for a big cowardly oaf with an ok arm. The team was fully prepared in the KC game. The offense, since then, was about as blanched and open as it could be with Orton. Marrone , as a head coach, completely out coached his opposition in that game. The problem was execution. Marrone can't field the punt himself so it doesn't get fumbled. He can't run the ball into the end zone without fumbling it.and, most importantly. He cannot throw TD passes to at least 3 different receivers that Orton missed. This also happened at least once in the Oakland. Oh yeah, Marrone can't go out and play DB to stop a 3rd and 24 conversion. He can't kick the field goal that Carpenter missed at Miami that would have tied the game. It wasn't bad coaching by a longshot!!!

And all ridiculous criticism of the 4th down calls. Each was the right thing to do in the context of the game. Only one was even debatable.

Oh,I forgot. The local media and fans didn't like his overtly surly demeanor and his unsatisfying double talk during presses. Waaaa! No other head coach was ever like this. And, of course, these issues have a direct bearing on won-lost records! Give me a break!

I could go on but my point is made. And the Daily News article is a great example of the abject cluelessness that most fans and the media have about him.

The Syracuse stuff is tiring. Unless you were here, like me, you couldn't know the remarkable changes he made I 4 years in a program that had become the worst in Div. 1. If he stayed the W-L record would be better. Missed the point entirely.

The absolute bottom line is that, by far, Marrone is the reason the Bills had the best record in a decade is Marrone. As head coach he did this!

Conclusion: Marrone didn't let the Bills down. They let him down. It's not that he couldn't take the crap. He can. It was, more than anything, the absolute lack of credit he deserved. And there seemed to be no end in sight. No my fellow Bills fans, he left because he didn't need this sh$:;t.

I'll always be a Bills fan and absolutely support thr new regime. But the Marrone drama was the most insane and just plain wrong episode I remember with the Bills since 1960!!! Also, be very afraid if the Jets get him. That will likely be some bad karma for us. Pray he goes elsewhere.

I've been a Bills fan literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. I have never witnessed

widely shared psychotic

delusion. I'm talking

about Marrone. The Bills

just blew it. We had the

guy! We chased him

away. At least 90% of

the criticism of him is

total crap. He just led the Bills to their best season in a decade and all the local media and what seems like the majority of fans ship could do was to be hypercritical and, in the process, focused on a couple of bad trees and never seeing the forest.

Cases in point:

The Bills went 9-7 primarily because of their defense. But..this is Marrone's defense. He put it together, not Schwartz. He rightly gets the credit as head coach. To me this is not even debatable. They didn't go 9-7 because of Schwartz. They did so because of Marrone. Period.

Overall the offense was pretty poor. But as we all know we had no o- line and no QB. What Marrone and Hackett accomplished with this offense is rather miraculous. Seriously. Totally wrong about Hackett. Play calling was fine and had to be tailored to the major limitations of the QB's. After the bye they got Orton up to snuff about as much as possible for a big cowardly oaf with an ok arm. The team was fully prepared in the KC game. The offense, since then, was about as blanched and open as it could be with Orton. Marrone , as a head coach, completely out coached his opposition in that game. The problem was execution. Marrone can't field the punt himself so it doesn't get fumbled. He can't run the ball into the end zone without fumbling it.and, most importantly. He cannot throw TD passes to at least 3 different receivers that Orton missed. This also happened at least once in the Oakland. Oh yeah, Marrone can't go out and play DB to stop a 3rd and 24 conversion. He can't kick the field goal that Carpenter missed at Miami that would have tied the game. It wasn't bad coaching by a longshot!!!

And all ridiculous criticism of the 4th down calls. Each was the right thing to do in the context of the game. Only one was even debatable.

Oh,I forgot. The local media and fans didn't like his overtly surly demeanor and his unsatisfying double talk during presses. Waaaa! No other head coach was ever like this. And, of course, these issues have a direct bearing on won-lost records! Give me a break!

I could go on but my point is made. And the Daily News article is a great example of the abject cluelessness that most fans and the media have about him.

The Syracuse stuff is tiring. Unless you were here, like me, you couldn't know the remarkable changes he made I 4 years in a program that had become the worst in Div. 1. If he stayed the W-L record would be better. Missed the point entirely.

The absolute bottom line is that, by far, Marrone is the reason the Bills had the best record in a decade is Marrone. As head coach he did this!

Conclusion: Marrone didn't let the Bills down. They let him down. It's not that he couldn't take the crap. He can. It was, more than anything, the absolute lack of credit he deserved. And there seemed to be no end in sight. No my fellow Bills fans, he left because he didn't need this sh$:;t.

I'll always be a Bills fan and absolutely support thr new regime. But the Marrone drama was the most insane and just plain wrong episode I remember with the Bills since 1960!!! Also, be very afraid if the Jets get him. That will likely be some bad karma for us. Pray he goes elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to TBD Doug :beer:

Edited by Reed83HOF

widely shared psychotic

delusion. I'm talking

about Marrone. The Bills

just blew it. We had the

guy! We chased him

away. At least 90% of

the criticism of him is

Cases in point:

I respect your opinion and I defended Marrone all year because I agree he did some things well. But do you really believe it was Marrone's defense?

The only person afraid of playing the Jets if he is coaching there is our punt returner because he will need extra conditioning work in the offseason to get ready.

widely shared psychotic

delusion. I'm talking

about Marrone. The Bills

just blew it. We had the

guy! We chased him

away. At least 90% of

the criticism of him is

Cases in point:

Hmmm...the timing of your joining this board, and its subsequent defense of Marrone, is...noteworthy.

I respect your opinion

and I defended Marrone

all year because I agree

he did some things well.

But do you really believe

it was Marrone's

defense?

Let me perfectly clear. This was absolutely Marrone's defense. Schwartz ran it well but it is the head coach's team. As I said. To me this is not even debatable.

He did some things well? Yolo. Look at the record. Best in 10 years. 10 years for chrissake. Thanks, BTW for a post that actually addresses my original post.

The only person afraid of playing the Jets if he is coaching there is our punt returner because he will need extra conditioning work in the offseason to get ready.

I respect your opinion and I defended Marrone all year because I agree he did some things well. But do you really believe it was Marrone's defense?