Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

I've been a Bills fan literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. I have never witnessed...

Marrone didn't put the defense together. They were pre-Whaley holdovers and guys brought in during the Whaley/Marrone experiment. They also performed better under Schwartz, this was the best defense in a decade.

Marrone + Hackett didn't perform miracles with the offense. They absolutely proved that they could not get ANY offensive players to play above themselves, in many cases they showed that they actually allowed players to regress, and they failed at installing anything innovative which was a stated goal of the regime. They refused to gameplan for what we had on the field. Square peg, round hole.

More than one 4th down call was questionable this season. Marrone had little feel for momentum. There were way too many times over the past 2 seasons where I - a self-described dunce who didn't even play high school ball - called the Bills offense before the snap. Imagine what paid, trained, eat-sleep-and-breath NFL-quality coaching opponents were able to predict.

The media and fans didn't dislike him because he was dour, sour or at times astringent. They disliked him because he never held himself accountable for the team's failures. We're seeing it now on a much bigger stage.

The Syracuse thing IS tiring. "St. Doug" is one of the most ridiculous things a person in his position should ever spew out publicly. He took a mediocre college team and allowed them to be mediocre. He doesn't deserve negative press for his time there but he certainly doesn't deserve praise.

This team, these fans and the players didn't let him down. That's absurd.

Here's the thing: I can find positives in his time here. He was tough on the players, something that was missing in previous regimes. I think he could be a motivator. I felt that he earned more years here and hoped that his faults - which all coaches have - would balance out. I wasn't against him staying and building on this season. But... If he wouldn't work with Whaley, if he refused to acknowledge deficiencies on the offense and give up control of it instead of forcing his vision, if he was going to grab for more power when he hasn't earned that right, and if he didn't hold his staff as accountable as he did the players, I'm glad he's gone. Leaving the team how he did shows that he isn't able to hold himself to the standards he expected of others, and that isn't a predictor of long-term success.

Edited by pafan

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of ridiculous

speculation, how do you

know Marrone had input

Pto personnel decisions

but didn't say so

publicly?

Sorry, not a good point. By definition a HC has that input. It's captain obvious to assert it publicly. It's like if he stated he had blown eyes at a presses. Again, not just you but to all posters: This was Marrone's defense!

Schopp actually said he wished the Bills got annihilated against the Patriots. It's an embarrassment to listen to a Bills post game show and hear a commentator say crap like that.

He probably said it so pegula wouldn't have any false hope in marrone. If we got blown out again in new England against backups, it would be pretty tough to defend/extend a coach who just lost to a 2 and 12 team. It's pretty clear that none of those guys liked marrone. I think schopp was right here.

Here's the thing: I can find positives in his time here. He was tough on the players, something that was missing in previous regimes. I think he could be a motivator. I felt that he earned more years here and hoped that his faults - which all coaches have - would balance out. I wasn't against him staying and building on this season. But... If he wouldn't work with Whaley, if he refused to acknowledge deficiencies on the offense and give up control of it instead of forcing his vision, if he was going to grab for more power when he hasn't earned that right, and if he didn't hold his staff as accountable as he did the players, I'm glad he's gone. Leaving the team how he did shows that he isn't able to hold himself to the standards he expected of others, and that isn't a predictor of long-term success.

That pretty much sums it up. Well said.

Sorry, not a good point. By definition a HC has that input. It's captain obvious to assert it publicly. It's like if he stated he had blown eyes at a presses. Again, not just you but to all posters: This was Marrone's defense!

You are repeatedly and emphatically foisting credit for the Bills greatest strength upon Marrone when there is little to no evidence he deserves it-- meanwhile, ignoring all of the areas of his responsibility and positional expertise which were arguably disastrous.

Except that Marrone, via Polian, said he didn't have that input. And if he did, which is doubtful since he's an offensive coach and that's not his specialty, he's responsible for the offensive futility. You can't have it both ways.

It was also captain obvious that Jerry Hughes wasn't on the field for half the Denver game, but he didn't notice on HIS defense that he was not there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I've been a Bills fan literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. I have never witnessed

such a severe case of mass hysteria...of a

widely shared psychotic

delusion. I'm talking

about Marrone. The Bills

just blew it. We had the

guy! We chased him

away. At least 90% of

the criticism of him is

total crap. He just led the Bills to their best season in a decade and all the local media and what seems like the majority of fans ship could do was to be hypercritical and, in the process, focused on a couple of bad trees and never seeing the forest.

Cases in point:

The Bills went 9-7 primarily because of their defense. But..this is Marrone's defense. He put it together, not Schwartz. He rightly gets the credit as head coach. To me this is not even debatable. They didn't go 9-7 because of Schwartz. They did so because of Marrone. Period.

Overall the offense was pretty poor. But as we all know we had no o- line and no QB. What Marrone and Hackett accomplished with this offense is rather miraculous. Seriously. Totally wrong about Hackett. Play calling was fine and had to be tailored to the major limitations of the QB's. After the bye they got Orton up to snuff about as much as possible for a big cowardly oaf with an ok arm. The team was fully prepared in the KC game. The offense, since then, was about as blanched and open as it could be with Orton. Marrone , as a head coach, completely out coached his opposition in that game. The problem was execution. Marrone can't field the punt himself so it doesn't get fumbled. He can't run the ball into the end zone without fumbling it.and, most importantly. He cannot throw TD passes to at least 3 different receivers that Orton missed. This also happened at least once in the Oakland. Oh yeah, Marrone can't go out and play DB to stop a 3rd and 24 conversion. He can't kick the field goal that Carpenter missed at Miami that would have tied the game. It wasn't bad coaching by a longshot!!!

And all ridiculous criticism of the 4th down calls. Each was the right thing to do in the context of the game. Only one was even debatable.

Oh,I forgot. The local media and fans didn't like his overtly surly demeanor and his unsatisfying double talk during presses. Waaaa! No other head coach was ever like this. And, of course, these issues have a direct bearing on won-lost records! Give me a break!

I could go on but my point is made. And the Daily News article is a great example of the abject cluelessness that most fans and the media have about him.

The Syracuse stuff is tiring. Unless you were here, like me, you couldn't know the remarkable changes he made I 4 years in a program that had become the worst in Div. 1. If he stayed the W-L record would be better. Missed the point entirely.

The absolute bottom line is that, by far, Marrone is the reason the Bills had the best record in a decade is Marrone. As head coach he did this!

Conclusion: Marrone didn't let the Bills down. They let him down. It's not that he couldn't take the crap. He can. It was, more than anything, the absolute lack of credit he deserved. And there seemed to be no end in sight. No my fellow Bills fans, he left because he didn't need this sh$:;t.

I'll always be a Bills fan and absolutely support thr new regime. But the Marrone drama was the most insane and just plain wrong episode I remember with the Bills since 1960!!! Also, be very afraid if the Jets get him. That will likely be some bad karma for us. Pray he goes elsewhere.

When Marrone got here, he talked about "coaching up" the offensive line. He talked about how he liked really big guys at the guard position. Well Doug, the offensive line, your area of expertise, was a disaster. Players regressed under your tutelage. You couldn't run the ball at all because your guards were so slow and so ploddy and so non-athletic that only runs up the middle could be contemplated. It took you half a year to realize Urbik, as bad as he was, was better than Richardson. Pears was a disaster. IF YOU COULD HAVE EVEN RUN THE BALL A LITTLE you wouldn't have to rely on "the cowardly oaf with an OK arm". A running game of even average competence and you're in the playoffs.They drafted 2 stiffs for the O line last year to your specs, Richardson and Kouandjo. Thanks so much.

The defense was NOT a Doug Marrone defense. It was a Mike Pettine defense, revamped by Jim Schwartz. You get credit for hiring competent D Coordinators who knew how to get the most out of that group. Thank God should be your response. No way you win vs Detroit and Minn without them. You had a 12-4 defense and a 4-12 offense.

For someone who talks about analytics (and your performance in that area at the final press conference was beyond incomprehensible), your inability to grasp basic probabilities was beyond maddening. Spend some time with that over the off season.

The Buffalo News reporters are mild compared to most big cities (think NY, Philly, Chicago). Lord help you and your rabbit ears in those places. No press corp is going to canonize you except maybe at Syracuse where you took a program so far down to at least average status that they were awed and dazzled. Did you do Ok in Buffalo? Yes, you did, especially with the mediocrities you had at QB. Frankly though, I get the sense you are a legend in your own mind. Get over yourself. The bust in Canton can wait till you actually win something.

Edited by norton20

One thing is to want power, another thing is to earn it. Marrone thought he could bully Pegula into getting more of it.

Good for Terry Pegula to call his bluff. What the heck did Marrone ever accomplish to be so demanding? Nothing! The Bills will be better off without him and Whaley.

Marrone must be just screaming mad today after seeing this report, and of coarse team Marrone started today stories about the Bills offered him 10 years 100 million dollar extension with decisions on all players and he turned them down.RIGHTTTTTT DOUGIE , more like hey Doug don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you.Still waiting for one player to give statement on how this is a big loss for the BILLS.

Edited by Niagara Dude

Mehta is the columnist who covers the Jets for NY Times. You can read his article on Marrone via a different post on this board, it's not the subject of this post. What I would point out is how this guy, who covers the Jets, has developed all of these sources within the Bills organization to give a real picture as to what was happening with Marrone and the front office etc. In the meantime, our WNY media, who get paid to cover the Bills, have no such information, no insight, no sources. In short, Jerry Sullivan, Joe Buscaglia, Howard Simon etc, Mehta of the NY Times has developed more inside scoop, and more sources and info on this story, than all of you put together. In the space of three days. What a bunch of clueless losers.