Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving the coverage by the NY media over Marrone. It's more entertaining then our own coaching search.

I am surprised he's not been named coach yet. Very surprised. Something is not working out like both parties hoped.

The Daily News is a gossip rag that pulls no punches in their sleazy tactics.

I don't care what your politics are, the Daily News, strictly from a journalism standpoint, doesn't even belong in the same conversation as the NYT.

Why the distinction? Because if Mehta's article HAD appeared in the NYT it would DEFINITELY mean something. But it didn't. It was in the Daily News. So, like everything written in that sensationalist tabloid, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

There's simply no disputing this, sorry.

If it had appeared in the NYT, no one would have noticed---here's the latest scoop from the guys in the Sports room at the NYT;

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/sports/football/doug-marrone-is-said-to-interview-with-jets.html?_r=0

Read it and sleep. Looks like a wikipedia entry.

If it had appeared in the NYT, no one would have noticed---here's the latest scoop from the guys in the Sports room at the NYT;

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/sports/football/doug-marrone-is-said-to-interview-with-jets.html?_r=0

Read it and sleep. Looks like a wikipedia entry.

Some people enjoy reading simple facts instead of a high school girl rumor mill as their source of news. But, to each their own.

For those crowing about the Times and its ethics and political slant, it's actually one of the few remaining investigative papers left and they are pretty non-partisan in their news (vs editorial, which is indeed quite liberal) targets. They've broken (not just reported, but broken) a pretty large number of bad news stories for Dmocrats, including the Blumenthal stolen valor case, Charlie Rangel's tax problems, Bob Menedez's ethics problems and recently Al Sharpton's tax problems. When the Murdoch organization does the same for a conservative/Republican it will be their first. I've had that bet with several conservative friends for years and have had no takers to date....

For those crowing about the Times and its ethics and political slant, it's actually one of the few remaining investigative papers left and they are pretty non-partisan in their news (vs editorial, which is indeed quite liberal) targets. They've broken (not just reported, but broken) a pretty large number of bad news stories for Dmocrats, including the Blumenthal stolen valor case, Charlie Rangel's tax problems, Bob Menedez's ethics problems and recently Al Sharpton's tax problems. When the Murdoch organization does the same for a conservative/Republican it will be their first. I've had that bet with several conservative friends for years and have had no takers to date....

Probably because the Post readership would stop buying the paper if they actually published thought-provoking news...

Actually, the Post has been hammering away with the Mike Grimm story for the past year.

The NYT seemed to miss Sharpton's Rachel Noerdlinger problem....

How about just reporting on the multiple scandals of the current administration?? Yeah, I didn't think so. You are one of the dwindling few who still believe the NYT has journalistic standards simply because you share their views.

I've been a Bills fan literally since day one of the franchise in 1960. I have never witnessed

oh, have you now? But you just joined this board yesterday. Well I'm a Johnny-come-lately; only been a Bills fan since 1967 or so. What year were you born? Is your last name Marrone?

Overall the offense was pretty poor. But as we all know we had no o- line and no QB. What Marrone and Hackett accomplished with this offense is rather miraculous.

Strangely, with 4 of the same 5 players on OL, a QB whose career is no better and arguably worse than Orton (his arm surely is), the same 2 running backs, and better WR, Gailey managed a mid-league offense (14th or so). What we we this year, 26th?

After the bye they got Orton up to snuff about as much as possible for a big cowardly oaf with an ok arm.

What strikes me as cowardly is anonymous name-calling. If you're going to call another man a coward and and oaf, how about you ID yourself?

The absolute bottom line is that, by far, Marrone is the reason the Bills had the best record in a decade is Marrone. As head coach he did this!

And here they say it's a team game and even the coaching and FO is a team effort. Now I learn it's all Marrone. How could so many be so mistaken about the team thing? You know what, I don't think Marrone is the absolute bottom line reason the Bills had a best decade in a decade. I think he picked good DCs and had a good D roster to start which was made stronger by good acquisitions and good coaching. I think he had some talent on the O side and couldn't figure out how to use that talent effectively.

I'll always be a Bills fan and absolutely support thr new regime. But the Marrone drama was the most insane and just plain wrong episode I remember with the Bills since 1960!!!

Oh now you've outed yourself for sure if you think this is the most insane and wrong episode since 1960. You haven't been a fan very long at all!!!!!

I've interspersed my commentary in Italics. This is pretty funny, actually. If it's not Marrone, it must be one of his close relatives or cronies.

Bottom line: real men take real responsibility for what goes wrong as well as what goes right. Real weenies blame everyone else, like you have here.

I kinda hate the Jets, so I hope they hire St Doug. But I kinda love the game of football, so overall I kinda think it would be better for the game if St Doug spends his $4 million to buy beer and watch football on TV.

How about just reporting on the multiple scandals of the current administration?? Yeah, I didn't think so. You are one of the dwindling few who still believe the NYT has journalistic standards simply because you share their views.

I repeat my point to you and WEO--the Times breaks stories that are negative to liberals and Democrats, not just reports on them (which they also do, including on the administrations scandals), ie., their investigative journalism creates those stories which were previously unknown by the public or the authorities. I've given several examples and could give more. Name me a single one that a Murdoch publication (be it Fox News, the NY Post or the WSJ more recently) has EVER broken on a conservative figure. The Grimm stuff is simply reporting on an existing investigation that is already news--they have no choice but to report it. The Post didn't find themselves and publish Grimm's ethical, tax or bullying problems (he may be one of the biggest dirtbags to ever serve in Congress), they merely reported on them.

The Times, on the other hand, were the ones who actually did the work to determine that Richard Blumenthal was claiming to be a Vietnam vet (by obtaining video of his speeches making this claim) when all he really was was a spoiled little rich kid who avoided real service in 'Nam by serving in the Guard (sound familiar?) and then lied about it later. They did this by looking into his service record and then writing about it, nearly costing the Democrats the Conn. Senate seat he ultimately won nonetheless (largely because his opponent, Linda McMahon, was more reprehensible than he was). They recently did the same thing in the case of Montana Senator found to have plagiarized his scholarship in grad school--that guy actually dropped out of the race and probably actually DID cost the Dems the seat. Same with the other stories above on Rangel, Menendez and Sharpton--they connected the dots others had not connected and published the results before anyone else did.

Again, care to name ANY time a Murdoch publication has done this? I've had that bet for years with buddies and found no takers....

At the risk of verging into PPP territory (a most foul and pestilent place I try not to visit), your note on scandal coverage reminded me of something. Take a look at this and tell me whose administration is more corrupt--to my eyes it's not even close by miles. If you disagree, tell me what they missed there about the Obama administration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_political_scandals_in_the_United_States

Edited by MattM

Here's the thing: I can find positives in his time here. He was tough on the players, something that was missing in previous regimes. I think he could be a motivator. I felt that he earned more years here and hoped that his faults - which all coaches have - would balance out. I wasn't against him staying and building on this season. But... If he wouldn't work with Whaley, if he refused to acknowledge deficiencies on the offense and give up control of it instead of forcing his vision, if he was going to grab for more power when he hasn't earned that right, and if he didn't hold his staff as accountable as he did the players, I'm glad he's gone. Leaving the team how he did shows that he isn't able to hold himself to the standards he expected of others, and that isn't a predictor of long-term success.

Well! My faith in humanity is restored, a newbie who makes sense. Well put! If Marrone had quietly put his shoulder to the wheel, worked to bring needed changes to the O and work to bring the best out of the talent he had on O instead of grabbing for power and slinging mud, Goodbye and dont let the door hitcha on the a$$ on the way out!

Marrone is a jerk and deserves no credit for winning against GB (the defense won that game and he is on the offensive side of the ball), I find it interesting that not one player came out after he left to discuss the loss for the Bills.It would not surprise me that if he does not get the Jets job he is blacklisted and never coaches again in this league.

Yeah, I've been reading stuff where players are quoted saying they'd like to keep Schwartz if it means chaining him to his car in the parking lot, or that if he leaves, he'll have a bunch of guys clinging to his legs.

Have seen expressions of surprise from players but no regrets or statements about what a loss to the team. Interesting.

Yeah, I've been reading stuff where players are quoted saying they'd like to keep Schwartz if it means chaining him to his car in the parking lot, or that if he leaves, he'll have a bunch of guys clinging to his legs.

Have seen expressions of surprise from players but no regrets or statements about what a loss to the team. Interesting.

2 "doug house" players even said Happy New Year when the news came out....

You have internet access?

http://nypost.com/2015/01/01/why-bronxs-doug-marrone-would-be-a-perfect-fit-for-the-jets/

"Marrone not only knows the AFC East, he has proven to be a no-nonsense disciplinarian who isn’t afraid to make the tough decisions."

"Marrone is a tough, fearless, blue-collar football guy with nerve who has a chance to be a young Tom Coughlin, and not only because they share a connection with Syracuse University."

Wow. That's some pucker factor.

Including the inset picture of Tom Coughlin and mentioning prominently how Marrone used to meet him once a year for help like that gave him some great connection to Coughlin's coaching moxie was a bit over the top.

The whole Marrone thing has tarnished my opinion of Brandon too. He was such a strong supporter of Marrone. Makes Brandon look foolish and hurts his integrity in my opinion. Hard to take anything Brandon says as 100% truthful anymore. Schmuck.

Call me Negativity, but I've thought for a while that the constant in two decades of mediocrity has been some of the FO and maybe it's past time for them to go