Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

Come on....you think anyone's going on the record with that stuff?

C'mon WEO. Good journalism is built on proper attribution. Every quote comes from an unnamed "Buffalo source." What does that mean?? Someone with the Bills? The Buffalo News? WGR? Someone on TBD?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell was he listening to local radio? I bet he thought after the Packers win, WGR would be singing his praises. Haha, whoops.

EDIT: Oh,and welcome to New Jersey Doug.

Good question. What head coach - in any sport - should ever take seriously what is said on sports talk radio about them?

"Listen, if you start worrying about the people in the stands, before too long you're up in the stands with them." - Tommy Lasorda

Also lends credence to EJ Manuel not being the bust many here think that he is. Tom Brady would suck if his OC called for the ball up the middle twice in a row and then called for a swing pass to the RB on third and six on almost every series of downs.

So glad we will finally see what Manuel can do in a real NFL offense.

I was fairly harsh with my critique of EJ, it is obvious I may have been wrong. Obviously next year we need to let him rip so that we can see what he really is as a qb. It should be obvious what we have after we let him play...

As much as I dislike Marrone I can't fault him for anything other then not giving more of his help to the offensive play calling, game day preparation, and then in game offensive adjustments.

He simply spent far, far to much time concerned about the special teams IMO. Perhaps he thought he was another Marv Levy :blink:

The difference between the two being is that Marv hired the most innovative offensive coordinator in the league in Ex HC of the Colts Ted Marchibroda. Ole Ted taught Kelly to call his own plays, set up the old Redskins "counter trey" offensive line calls. (Gary Kubiak now runs something similar with the Ravens) then installed the 2 min drill hurry up offense when he saw how proficient Kelly was in running the 2 min drill at the end of the game.

and well Hackett is an innovator of nothing except up the middle 71% of the time, or 50 passes a game.

But I just feel like he would've said "unnamed players" or "unnamed staffers." He didn't, so I conclude it was local media sources. I agree with PTR for once...

definitely possible but I still think there is a leak at OBD. A mole, if you will.

#OBDhouseofcards

definitely possible but I still think there is a leak at OBD. A mole, if you will.

#OBDhouseofcards

More likely a BN sports writer, although I'm sure someone at OBD would unload on Doug after the stunt he pulled.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

C'mon WEO. Good journalism is built on proper attribution. Every quote comes from an unnamed "Buffalo source." What does that mean?? Someone with the Bills? The Buffalo News? WGR? Someone on TBD?

So you are saying reporters should not publish unattributed quotes? This certainly would be a ground shaking change in the way journalism is practiced in this country.

I'm pretty sure his editor asked him who his sources were and who he was quoting--and after hearing the names, gave the green light to the stories publication.

Also lends credence to the criticism that he played too tight and too conservative and didn't want to go down the field and didn't use his playmakers and played not to lose rather than to win.

No wonder him and Whaley didn't get along. Whaley gets him playmakers and Marrone doesn't want to play them.

You know, perhaps there should be a separate thread for this topic?

As much as I dislike Marrone I can't fault him for anything other then not giving more of his help to the offensive play calling, game day preparation, and then in game offensive adjustments.

He simply spent far, far to much time concerned about the special teams IMO. Perhaps he thought he was another Marv Levy :blink:

The difference between the two being is that Marv hired the most innovative offensive coordinator in the league in Ex HC of the Colts Ted Marchibroda. Ole Ted taught Kelly to call his own plays, set up the old Redskins "counter trey" offensive line calls. (Gary Kubiak now runs something similar with the Ravens) then installed the 2 min drill hurry up offense when he saw how proficient Kelly was in running the 2 min drill at the end of the game.

and well Hackett is an innovator of nothing except up the middle 71% of the time, or 50 passes a game.

So you can't fault him except for hiring an inept OC and then basically quitting over same said OC?

This is actually standard journalism practice. There's quotes for attribution, comments from sources "within the administration", and then there's statements made on background. Can we trust 100% of unattributed comments reported by 100% of journalists? No, but that's no reason to impugn the reputation of a specific journalist. Without these practices, nothing would ever get reported other than official press releases.

So you are saying reporters should not publish unattributed quotes? This certainly would be a ground shaking change in the way journalism is practiced in this country.

I'm pretty sure his editor asked him who his sources were and who he was quoting--and after hearing the names, gave the green light to the stories publication.

Maybe. Or they didn't care. Reporters do use unnamed sources but if your story is nothing but that it becomes flimsy. Mehti doesn't even try to infer where quote was coming from. Just from someone within the Buffalo city limits.

Maybe. Or they didn't care. Reporters do use unnamed sources but if your story is nothing but that it becomes flimsy. Mehti doesn't even try to infer where quote was coming from. Just from someone within the Buffalo city limits.

Well, I guess you are free to not believe any of it. Maybe it's easier for you to believe this guy Mehta is either a gullible rube printing someone else's agenda, or he's just making it up for kicks.

Well, I guess you are free to not believe any of it. Maybe it's easier for you to believe this guy Mehta is either a gullible rube printing someone else's agenda, or he's just making it up for kicks.

Oh he's no rube. More likely he has an agenda. I'm sure he thinks Marrone is a bad hire and he's trying to steer the Jets decision. Power of the press, you know.

I write for a living and there is no way my editor would let me write a story like that. But maybe the rules are different for him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Oh he's no rube. More likely he has an agenda. I'm sure he thinks Marrone is a bad hire and he's trying to steer the Jets decision. Power of the press, you know.

Why in the world would Mehta try to steer the Jets' decision, as opposed to simply writing what he belives to be true?