Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The AP article stated he was assisting. He just needs to focus on selling tickets. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I agree altho "assisting" could mean anything.

I just don't like how the FO kept harping how the "football" dept is empowered to make decisions and etc, and now Brandon is reported to have some sort of influence on a "football" decision.

And I like Brandon in general, just don't get why this would come out immediately after/simultaneously after Whaley was seemingly given a vote of confidence form ownership. Not that RB and DW would be at odds necessarily, it just muddies the hierarchy I assume they meant to clarify by announcing Whaley would be leading the search.

Bad news for us.

The whole Reich thing is predicated on nostalgia. Not saying that Reich won't be good, but he wasn't great with SD as an OC, he led the Chargers to one of their worst offenses in over a decade, the only worse one was under Hal Hunter (right, who's he) two years ago.

This sounds good on paper but practically speaking is a roll-of-the-dice at best.

I don't like the idea of Whaley being able to do more long-term damage to this organization. He'll hire someone that he can control more given how things ended up with Marrone. That's not good for us.

What?

Yes, he picked Marrone. Wait ... who are you talking about?

Did Whaley choose Marrone, or did Nix?

If Whaley chose Marrone, and Marrone was terrible (according to many), then why the optimism with Whaley choosing the next coach?

Marrone obviously flipped the script.

Again I've been told how completely ridiculous it is to make the comparisons to the Sabres. (Doesn't mean I agree at all with the consensus)

Its a pet peeve of mine whenever anyone mentions comparisons to the Sabres. Terry Pegula took both of the extremes to the Sabres. He kept total status quo one time. He totally cleaned house the other time including making up a brand new job for someone. How anyone can make any kind of comparison as to what he will do with the Bills is ridiculous. There is an automatic rebuttal that he did the exact opposite with the Sabres. Therefore all comparisons are worthless IMO. There is no trend. There is no model he will follow again. There is nothing to be insinuated from what he did. He did both extremes.

Did he not pick Marrone? Or was that Nix?

Nix and Brandon chose Marrone. I heard that Whaley liked Whisenhunt, from his Steeler days.

Do the Pegulas not need to come and out make sort of statement about the structure moving forward?

I would think that would be essential in getting a "hot" candidate to commit here.

Sometrhing along the lines"whaley GM with an extension, Brandon Business Guy, both report to Kim...no czar or consultant planned"

Yeah but I want them to plan a Czar!

I can't understand the love Whaley gets around here; his bungling of the QB position the last few years is grounds for immediate demotion. Make him a scout, which is his true love anyway by his own admission.

I just don't like how the FO kept harping how the "football" dept is empowered to make decisions and etc, and now Brandon is reported to have some sort of influence on a "football" decision.

And I like Brandon in general, just don't get why this would come out immediately after/simultaneously after Whaley was seemingly given a vote of confidence form ownership. Not that RB and DW would be at odds necessarily, it just muddies the hierarchy I assume they meant to clarify by announcing Whaley would be leading the search.

Completely agree. Before the Marrone incident, it seemed like fans who were confused by the hierarchy were labeled as crazy. As it stands now, it just doesn't make sense to have the business guy involved with these very important football decisions.

There certainly is a way to defend it, and I understand that -- but their track record as a tandem, as well as Russ' track record with both Levy and Nix are not good.

Yeah but I want them to plan a Czar!

I can't understand the love Whaley gets around here; his bungling of the QB position the last few years is grounds for immediate demotion. Make him a scout, which is his true love anyway by his own admission.

Who would you have drafted two years ago, and signed as a free agent in the last two years? Even in 20-20 hindsight.

If Whaley chose Marrone, and Marrone was terrible (according to many), then why the optimism with Whaley choosing the next coach?

I thought Marrone was picked by Whaley and Russ, you know, when they were out on their "exhaustive" head coach search. I recall they were in Arizona for a while meeting with several parties including Chip Kelly, for like 6 minutes before he told them to get lost.

Whaley was mentored in Pittsburgh. The Steelers have only had 3 HC's since the 1960's. The Bills will be on the 8th since 2000. Hopefully he learned from his mistake, if he was involved in the selection of Marrone, and finds the guy that can be here for at least 10 years.

Nix was GM in early 2013 when Marrone was picked. Whaley was still the AGM.

Edited by Casey D

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-source-bills-gm-whaley-heading-coaching-search-27962711

Whaley is the best thing that has happened to this team in over a decade, I take this as very good news.

Amen! I really like the guy. I don't have any proof, but I have a feeling most of our troubles per coach, QB pick - was due to Buddy Nix. I seem to recall Buddy had final say in personnel decisions.

Edited by cale

It might be as simple as having two voices in the interviews, working phones etc.... and them working together well on other projects. It's not a 1 man project. I'd imagine that the hierarchy will be well defined.

This is good to hear. I was worried that the Pegula's would do something stupid to reduce Whaley's influence. I think Whaley has created one of the strongest pro/college scouting departments the Bills have seen since the days of John Butler, and that is the long-term foundation for this football team.