Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

Yup.

Was just gonna post that. But just in case people don't feel like reading. Coaches that report directly to the owner are:

Tomlin, Reid, Coughlin, Carroll, Jim Harbaugh (formerly), Kelly, Garrett, Lewis and Fisher.

Some of those owners in Washington are also defacto GMs. The Shanny situation is an example of a dysfunctional system. I prefer a HC answering to the GM but with contact with the owner. Otherwise there's a automatic power struggle.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have been nice if we had our football "czar" in place and participating in this interview process. Woody Johnson seems like a bit of a doofus, but he does have Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf participating in the head coaching interview process. The Jets do not have a GM yet, so maybe that hurts them, but it would have been nice to pair up Whaley with a known and experienced football person as this search is undertaken.

First of all just because Henderson was a starter at RT for Buffalo doesn't mean he did a good job at that position all year. I highly doubt he even starts on the better teams. He just happened to play about 1000% better then the #2 pick, and If those picks were reversed I doubt Kouandjio is even on the roster at this time.

Perhaps the current young players on the roster can be coached up to an acceptable talent level, and that remains to be seen. From what I have seen I have serious doubts.

The only reason I ever mention PFF is because it sometimes helps others understand whats going on with the line. I don't hold them up as the end all, be all holy grail of stats or player analysis. In fact, I feel the sole reason Urbik was graded anywhere near respectability at any time was because of the offensive scheme he was involved in. In Gailey's offense Fitz was able to get the ball out in 2.2 seconds which mostly negated any pass rush against him, and that real spread out offense is a big reason why Spiller did so well running. That grade for Urbik had to be in pass blocking because the man is one of the worst run blockers in the league, and always has been.

The benching of Urbik was justified to see if Richardson could become a viable starter, and as bad as he played I still never saw him let a DT run him five yards into the backfield on a run play.

In Glenn's case, did you ever stop and think that perhaps some of the players are playing with injuries, and playing next to really bad players doesn't help.

I have acknowledged that Doug Whaley has done a near brilliant job with the defensive side of the ball in player acquisitions, trades. At the same time I'm not such a homer I don't see that he has done a very, very poor job with the offensive side the last two years. How any knowledgeable football man could allow three rookie QB's to play behind last years line is unconscionable to me, and this years line was worse.

great post!!!!

Some of those owners in Washington are also defacto GMs. The Shanny situation is an example of a dysfunctional system. I prefer a HC answering to the GM but with contact with the owner. Otherwise there's a automatic power struggle.

I understand that, but as KTD as said if the coach has a problem, he's going to go to the owner anyways.

Let's say in hypothetical scenario the coach says to the GM, "Hey, I need a player at this position" and the GM says "I've given you a couple players at that position, use what you got". Do you think that conversation makes it to the owner? Maybe, maybe not. But if the coach really feels like he is getting jerked around, he'll go to the owner anyways.

Would have been nice if we had our football "czar" in place and participating in this interview process. Woody Johnson seems like a bit of a doofus, but he does have Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf participating in the head coaching interview process. The Jets do not have a GM yet, so maybe that hurts them, but it would have been nice to pair up Whaley with a known and experienced football person as this search is undertaken.

Casserly is an idiot, and he's likely going to push for Marrone. And Marrone will end up fighting with the GM for power over the roster. That's a good idea for the future? If they just brought in Wolf I would think that was a very smart move. I don't see the idea of two czars at all. They just can't agree on stuff this big. It's almost impossible.

Casserly is an idiot, and he's likely going to push for Marrone. And Marrone will end up fighting with the GM for power over the roster. That's a good idea for the future? If they just brought in Wolf I would think that was a very smart move. I don't see the idea of two czars at all. They just can't agree on stuff this big. It's almost impossible.

Casserly road the coat tails of Bobby Beathard...

None of these top personnel guys (maybe Matt Millen excluded) are idiots. Certainly some are better than others but any GM knows more about football than you or me.

Bobby Beathard thought highly of Casserly and made him his assistant GM. Does that make Beathard an idiot too? Together they won two Super Bowls. Let's see how many Super Bowls you can win with your most knowledgeable friend. Apparently you're smarter than Bobby Beathard who clearly judged Casserly as a non-idiot.

Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, USA Today, and PFW all voted Casserly "Executive of the Year" (or something equivalent) at one time or another. Were all these sportswriters paid off? They obviously didn't think he was an idiot. But you know more.

Of course, all of Casserly's success was with the Skins. He failed miserable in Houston. It does make you wonder why he was so successful in DC and so bad in Texas. But it doesn't make him an idiot.

Sorry if I sound preachy but it always strikes me as both arrogant and unkind to judge people as "idiots" when we don't have the knowledge to make such a judgment.

Generally I think name-calling is resorting to 'short-man's syndrome.' We cut the legs off others to make ourselves feel better about our doubts in our own intellect or self-worth or whatever.

If you're to be believed, basically everybody sucks or was hurt. Seriously, we have seen NFL level play from these guys in spots... not all of them, but most. I think good coaches can get the best out of average players. It begins by not shuffling everybody around and screwing with chemistry. That's something that I couldn't believe Marrone, a former lineman, got wrong this spring and summer.

I agree that good coaching does get the best out of average players, and the Bills lacked good coaching on most of the offensive staff IMO. I also agree that continuity means a lot as each player needs to know if he can depend on the player next to him to do his job, and sometimes it can take more then just one season to develop that continuity. But even good coaching can only take limited talent so far.

Marrone really does have a great reputation as an O line coach, and for whatever reason that didn't translate to this coaching staff. I can recall watching him relentlessly have his players hit the blocking sleds when he was the O line coach with the Jets, and all his past players think very highly of him. My take is, just like with the defense, and his not knowing that Hughes was benched. Marrone stood back and let his assistant coaches do everything. The Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett, and the O line coach Pat Morris weren't very good at their respective jobs, and it showed.

Marrone seemed so much more intent on focusing his help with the special teams rather then the O line, and offense in general. Which is something else I didn't understand, at least not with rookie QB's and then a 2nd year QB starting.

Needless to say I'm glad St Doug is gone, and hope his offensive staff is not far behind him.

None of these top personnel guys (maybe Matt Millen excluded) are idiots. Certainly some are better than others but any GM knows more about football than you or me.

Bobby Beathard thought highly of Casserly and made him his assistant GM. Does that make Beathard an idiot too? Together they won two Super Bowls. Let's see how many Super Bowls you can win with your most knowledgeable friend. Apparently you're smarter than Bobby Beathard who clearly judged Casserly as a non-idiot.

Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, USA Today, and PFW all voted Casserly "Executive of the Year" (or something equivalent) at one time or another. Were all these sportswriters paid off? They obviously didn't think he was an idiot. But you know more.

Of course, all of Casserly's success was with the Skins. He failed miserable in Houston. It does make you wonder why he was so successful in DC and so bad in Texas. But it doesn't make him an idiot.

Sorry if I sound preachy but it always strikes me as both arrogant and unkind to judge people as "idiots" when we don't have the knowledge to make such a judgment.

Generally I think name-calling is resorting to 'short-man's syndrome.' We cut the legs off others to make ourselves feel better about our doubts in our own intellect or self-worth or whatever.

You're an idiot, and I'm over 6' tall. :lol:

It's a message board. I have watched Casserly do and say stuff for 30 years. Every week (sometimes daily) he is on live TV and says what he thinks. To me, repeatedly, he says idiotic stuff. All the time. It's just my opinion. People giving their opinions on sports are never always right and never always wrong. When someone for years and years says a bunch of idiotic things on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, I feel comfortable calling him an idiot on a message board regardless of his success 30 years ago.

He's going to recommend thin-skinned St. Doug Marrone to the New York Jets, who is going to bring Nate Hackett with him.

Casserly is an idiot. :lol:

You're an idiot, and I'm over 6' tall. :lol:

It's a message board. I have watched Casserly do and say stuff for 30 years. Every week (sometimes daily) he is on live TV and says what he thinks. To me, repeatedly, he says idiotic stuff. All the time. It's just my opinion. People giving their opinions on sports are never always right and never always wrong. When someone for years and years says a bunch of idiotic things on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, I feel comfortable calling him an idiot on a message board regardless of his success 30 years ago.

He's going to recommend thin-skinned St. Doug Marrone to the New York Jets, who is going to bring Nate Hackett with him.

Casserly is an idiot. :lol:

and we will love him for it :worthy: