Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

I think given that Pegula and Whaley are getting their names dragged into the mud via this Polian - Marrone situation, it makes a lot of sense for everyone to represent themselves face-to-face with a candidate so those questions can be met head-on.

I don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape about it. Never mind.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly doubt any HC has ever been hired without the owner's direct involvement on some level.

I'd be interested to know what that list of negatives consists of, though. Seriously, where's the downside?

GO BILLS!!!

I agree they all would want to atleast meet the guy and get a little read on him. The downside being if they make themselves a decision maker in the room and decide poorly?

I think given that Pegula and Whaley are getting their names dragged into the mud via this Polian - Marrone situation, it makes a lot of sense for everyone to represent themselves face-to-face with a candidate so those questions can be met head-on.

I don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape about it. Never mind.

Agreed. That does not upset a chain of command perceived. And thats one of the questions the potential head coach will want answered i might guess.

Seriously? The coach and GM should be working hand in hand to build a winner. What happens the first time the coach goes running to the owner because he doesn't like the players the GM is bringing in? Ticking time bomb. Screwed up chain of command is a disaster waiting to happen if this is true.

...and for what teams does the GM report to the coach, unless the coach also holds the title of something above the GM?

So you alternative is for the owner to only know what the GM wants him to know? To be blind-sided by a festering problem between the GM and the HC? Hmm.

With all that has went on the past week, between Moron quiting and the fog that was cast by him and Polian on the FO I think we are going to get whaleys best this offseason. I would want to show the world that I know my job and I'm the best on the planet at what I do! Here's to hoping Whaley gets the last laugh...

so he's been purposefully giving less than his best thus far?

So you alternative is for the owner to only know what the GM wants him to know? To be blind-sided by a festering problem between the GM and the HC? Hmm.

The whole point is the chain of command. Coach reports to the GM. GM reports to the team president or owner. Nowhere did I imply that the GM should not keep the owner informed.

If the coach ends up reporting to the owner, it will be a BIG mess in no time at all. If I was Whaley, and this is what ends up happening, I'd be on the lookout for new opportunities.

The whole point is the chain of command. Coach reports to the GM. GM reports to the team president or owner. Nowhere did I imply that the GM should not keep the owner informed.

If the coach ends up reporting to the owner, it will be a BIG mess in no time at all. If I was Whaley, and this is what ends up happening, I'd be on the lookout for new opportunities.

The last coach (Marrone) didn't report to Whaley either.

Please site some examples. Also, I wanted to know if you thought it was a good idea?

When I worked in the NBA our coach reported to ownership and later to the president. The GM did the same.

I don't have an opinion if it's good or bad. It depends on the situation. The reporting structure is irrelevant to me. What isn't irrelevant is that you have to have your coach and GM on the same page which clearly wasn't the case here.

Yup.

Was just gonna post that. But just in case people don't feel like reading. Coaches that report directly to the owner are:

Tomlin, Reid, Coughlin, Carroll, Jim Harbaugh (formerly), Kelly, Garrett, Lewis and Fisher.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

When I worked in the NBA our coach reported to ownership and later to the president. The GM did the same.

I don't have an opinion if it's good or bad. It depends on the situation. The reporting structure is irrelevant to me. What isn't irrelevant is that you have to have your coach and GM on the same page which clearly wasn't the case here.

Right- it's having the right systems for the right people. There's no one way to get to success.

Yup.

Was just gonna post that. But just in case people don't feel like reading. Coaches that report directly to the owner are:

Tomlin, Reid, Coughlin, Carroll, Jim Harbaugh (formerly), Kelly, Garrett, Lewis and Fisher.

I'm pretty sure that Marrone & Whaley both reported to Brandon. That's how I understood the situation. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Interesting, but a lot of what is reported across many of the teams is very gray area. If Whaley controls roster and personnel decisions, what else was Marrone responsible for that would made more sense having him report to Brandon instead of Whaley.

Like I stated earlier, you are begging for a relationship problem between the coach and GM in a reporting structure like this, and low and behold, that is exactly what happened between Whaley and Marrone(even though the details of the problems between the two have not been reported).

Sorry, I just don't get it.

Edited by LabattBlue

Yup.

Given how Kelly, marrone, and harbaugh played out this year... And of course jerry jones. I'll stand by the comment that it depends on the people but that list wasn't what I hoped for. Edited by NoSaint

I guess only time will tell, but wouldn't you rather have one football man, reporting to another football man?

Please, someone explain to me how the new coach reporting to Pegula who has ZERO NFL experience is a better idea than reporting to the GM?

Edited by LabattBlue

I'm pretty sure that Marrone & Whaley both reported to Brandon. That's how I understood the situation.

That's what the article says as well. I just didn't put it down because it's not reporting to the owner. Well it says "answers to Russ Brandon".

Given how Kelly, marrone, and harbaugh played out this year... And of course jerry jones. I'll stand by the comment that it depends on the people but that list wasn't what I hoped for.

Hoping for more? or less?

Edited by Wayne Cubed