Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

It would make sense to take the chief contract negotiator on any interview if numbers are going to be discussed.

Whaley is making the decision, which should make fans happy IMO.

C'mon, bandit. Don't get in the way of a good teeth gnashing. Brandon and Overdorf's "involvement" makes for good conspiracy theories. Never mind that Overdorf has been acting in this capacity seemingly forever, or that Brandon might come in handy on in selling a prospect on WNY or leveraging his contacts throughout the league.

Whaley needs to be the only GM in history to make a coaching hire in a vacuum.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Polian going to bring AJ Smith in as GM or in some other capacity? If that is true and Whaley now knows it, the current situation is beyond weird.

The King of No Rings, AJ Smith, is currently consulting the most functional Franchise in the NFL, the Washington Deadskins.

How some folks can confuse Whaley heading up the coaching search with the bean-counters making this hire is beyond me.

because this is the history of the buffalo bills for their entire existence and so far, at least, there's no evidence to suggest a paradigm shift under pegula.

Was Polian going to bring AJ Smith in as GM or in some other capacity? If that is true and Whaley now knows it, the current situation is beyond weird.

Oh for crissakes. Is there no end to stuff we can just throw out there?

But let me play along. If Polian was gonna bring AJ Smith back, I hope he doesn't get within 20 feet of the building. AJ Smith is a dick. Makes Marrone look like a secure individual.

GO BILLS!!!

My take on all of this:

1. Pegula has seen Whaley in action long enough to form his opinion.

2. Pegula has already talked to Polian, Cohwer, and others and has other insights into Whaley.

3. Pegula is doing the smart thing letting Whaley hire the next coach. Make him accountable.

4. Brandon involvement is necessary given his position in the organization. This is not a problem.

5. Brandon is smart and respected, even if not a pure "football guy".

6. Whaley has been an assistant long enough, he has been running this show for two years. He will hire someone he can work with, unlike the committee that hired Marrone.

7. The circumstances of Marrone quitting and then Polian balking mean the consultant/advisor role may not be filled. Therefore, it's time to move forward.

I am ok with Whaley moving out on the coach search.

Go Bills!!

Oh for crissakes. Is there no end to stuff we can just throw out there?

But let me play along. If Polian was gonna bring AJ Smith back, I hope he doesn't get within 20 feet of the building. AJ Smith is a dick. Makes Marrone look like a secure individual.

GO BILLS!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/report-a-j-smith-to-be-offered-larger-role-in-washington-front-office/

"According to Clayton, Smith would have been in the running for a front office job in Buffalo had Bill Polian returned to the team and he would have been Jon Gruden’s choice as G.M. in Oakland had Gruden decided to return to coaching."

This whole thing is really screwed up. I am fine with Marrone leaving, but the front office stuff needs to be straightened out pronto. Either the Bills are committed to Whaley or they are not. Having Whaley leading the search for a head coach seems to suggest that he is staying on with the Bills as GM, but if this is a lukewarm commitment at best and he could be replaced after the 2015 season, I would much prefer that this decision be made now. The worst possible scenario would be for the Bills to hire a new GM after the 2015 season who would want to pick his own coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/02/report-a-j-smith-to-be-offered-larger-role-in-washington-front-office/

"According to Clayton, Smith would have been in the running for a front office job in Buffalo had Bill Polian returned to the team and he would have been Jon Gruden’s choice as G.M. in Oakland had Gruden decided to return to coaching."

While I apologize to jahnyc for not realizing that he was referencing a media report, nothing about what Clayton "reported" changes my opinion one way or the other. Screw AJ Smith and screw Bill Polian if that's the best he can do.

GO BILLS!!!

This whole thing is really screwed up. I am fine with Marrone leaving, but the front office stuff needs to be straightened out pronto. Either the Bills are committed to Whaley or they are not. Having Whaley leading the search for a head coach seems to suggest that he is staying on with the Bills as GM, but if this is a lukewarm commitment at best and he could be replaced after the 2015 season, I would much prefer that this decision be made now. The worst possible scenario would be for the Bills to hire a new GM after the 2015 season who would want to pick his own coach.

Does Pegula allowing Whaley to conduct the coaching search not lend itself to the idea that the front office is straightened out? This whole Polian snafu is getting blown out of proportion. Looks like nothing more than Marrone losing a power struggle. And honestly, if Marrone was a "coach of the year" candidate according to Polian, what does that really say? Polian deciding not to come back is a blessing in disguise.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep...he hasn't helped this team get any better in any way whatsoever.

Have you seen the way these coaching candidates are setting up interviews one by one? Really methodical? That's too conservative for me. That proves they won't go for it on fourth and short. All these guys suck.

I have no idea why this still can't happen. The Bills need someone at the top who knows football. I like Whaley, but he is still so very new at being a GM.

Whaley has been the GM for two years and his failure on the offensive side has been more then obvious. Failure to find the franchise QB, and at this point any decent veteran QB. A bigger failure build a remotely decent offensive line. Failed free agents, and draft picks. Three draft picks for, including two first rounders for a WR when the team still doesn't have a franchise QB. If he couldn't have been able to make the trade for Sammy its a known fact he would have drafted Eric Ebron #1, and Cyrus Kounandjio #2 :sick: I can recall reading that the team was very high on Odell Beckham Jr early in the draft evaluation process, and have no idea why they soured on him.

Exactly what qualifies Whaley good enough to select the next HC, or even determine the best candidate when he can't get anything right on the offensive side of the game? Brandon / Nix with Gailey, Brandon Nix with Marrone, now Brandon / Whaley / Pegula on the next guy?

How Brandon still has any say on the football side to me is completely bewildering considering he OKed that contract for Marrone to get 4 mill for walking away, and still getting the 4 mill even if he takes a new HC job. I don't even see why Brandon is still even needed on the football side.

I'm still hoping for a president of football operations with real NFL experience, and that has a decent past history of winning. I know I'd prefer someone like Green Bay's Ted Thompson.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Thanks, K-9. Saw it somewhere, and I should have referenced it. Still think this whole thing is really screwed up.

No problemo, jahnyc. But for what it's worth, I'd trust your opinion over Clayton's any day of the week.

GO BILLS!!!

I do not think that Polian and Marrone were formally linked. It may be that Polian would have joined the Bills if Marrone was still the coach, but I do not think that Marrone was directing Pegula to make this happen. I have no idea what Pegula is thinking in terms of GM and other front office moves now. It may be that he has decided that Whaley is the guy going forward, but who knows. Maybe this was always the plan.