Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Educated guess or some insight from your time spent with him? I was wondering what kind of relationship he had with Schwartz?

The educated guess comes from numerous references as well as the conversation with him that he is trying to model the Bills after the success of the Steelers, which is a roster that can be tweaked year to year but is built top to bottom as a whole. That is why for instance, he got the four RB he did, and the four WR he did, and the role players like Dixon and Graham, etc. The Steelers chose a guy out of the box, Mike Tomlin, who wasn't a big coordinator, to be the manager type like Reich would be. With an OC brought in to completely run the offense, and leaving Schwartz to completely run the defense.

I don't know that he likes Schwartz but I assume they really like each other because they are the same kind of person. They are very cerebral but also have an inner intensity. I imagine that Whaley really likes and respects Schwartz.

I don't get why some people around here have this hate for Brandon. The turn-around in the Bills fortunes began with him taking the reins from Ralph. If you like how the business side has been going, including the regionalization of the team, that's Brandon. If you like Whaley, remember it was Brandon who befriend a young Whaley, kept in touch with him over the years, and brought him in as GM-in-Waiting behind Nix. If you like the improved drafting over the last few years, that's Brandon, whose first order of business with Nix was to enlarge and improve the Scouting Department. If you like the improved Cap situation, that too is Brandon. If you don't like Marrone, then I guess that's a knock on Brandon. But really, was Marrone horrible? No he wasn't. While I'm delighted he's gone, I hardly think he's the worst coach in Bills history. Far from it.

As to his role going forward, the guy knows a hundred times more about the nuts and bolts of the NFL than the Pegulas do, he knows how the Bills work, and he knows the people you need to know around the league and around the game. Kim and Terry are learning and will certainly "get it" with time and experience. But for the moment, Brandon is indispensable in my opinion and I believe he will continue to be the key "consigliere" to the Pegulas. Be thankful the Bills have him and Whaley.

I don't get why some people around here have this hate for Brandon. The turn-around in the Bills fortunes began with him taking the reins from Ralph. If you like how the business side has been going, including the regionalization of the team, that's Brandon. If you like Whaley, remember it was Brandon who befriend a young Whaley, kept in touch with him over the years, and brought him in as GM-in-Waiting behind Nix. If you like the improved drafting over the last few years, that's Brandon, whose first order of business with Nix was to enlarge and improve the Scouting Department. If you like the improved Cap situation, that too is Brandon. If you don't like Marrone, then I guess that's a knock on Brandon. But really, was Marrone horrible? No he wasn't. While I'm delighted he's gone, I hardly think he's the worst coach in Bills history. Far from it.

As to his role going forward, the guy knows a hundred times more about the nuts and bolts of the NFL than the Pegulas do, he knows how the Bills work, and he knows the people you need to know around the league and around the game. Kim and Terry are learning and will certainly "get it" with time and experience. But for the moment, Brandon is indispensable in my opinion and I believe he will continue to be the key "consigliere" to the Pegulas. Be thankful the Bills have him and Whaley.

It's two reasons. First, he's viewed as one of the "constants" over the past several years of losing. That's a stupid reason. Second, he's a liar. That's a decent reason to dislike him, until you realize that it's kind of his job to bullschitt people, and he's good at it. I really don't have any issues with Brandon. He's good at what he does, and I truly don't believe he sticks his nose into personnel decisions like some of the paranoid mob around here seem to think. Yes, he's a liar, but so what? His job is to get you to part with your money. If you don't like the product, don't do it. But don't blame him.

I am sure when it gets down to the finalist(s), that the candidate(s) meet with the Pegula's, but I wonder for the initial round, who other than Whaley is at the table? Director of pro personnel? Director of college scouting? Assistant GM(do we have one)?

Please tell me that PT Barnum Brandon is not involved.

It's two reasons. First, he's viewed as one of the "constants" over the past several years of losing. That's a stupid reason. Second, he's a liar. That's a decent reason to dislike him, until you realize that it's kind of his job to bullschitt people, and he's good at it. I really don't have any issues with Brandon. He's good at what he does, and I truly don't believe he sticks his nose into personnel decisions like some of the paranoid mob around here seem to think. Yes, he's a liar, but so what? His job is to get you to part with your money. If you don't like the product, don't do it. But don't blame him.

Exactly. Well said.

The educated guess comes from numerous references as well as the conversation with him that he is trying to model the Bills after the success of the Steelers, which is a roster that can be tweaked year to year but is built top to bottom as a whole. That is why for instance, he got the four RB he did, and the four WR he did, and the role players like Dixon and Graham, etc. The Steelers chose a guy out of the box, Mike Tomlin, who wasn't a big coordinator, to be the manager type like Reich would be. With an OC brought in to completely run the offense, and leaving Schwartz to completely run the defense.

I don't know that he likes Schwartz but I assume they really like each other because they are the same kind of person. They are very cerebral but also have an inner intensity. I imagine that Whaley really likes and respects Schwartz.

Thanks. I like them both, but it seems a little premature for Reich to get a HC position after only one year as an OC.

Re Whaley, Bills are lucky they got him. He's got a great group under him, and he/they is really building a solid roster.

How does everyone feel about Jim Overdorf? He's helping Whaley and Brandon with the head coach search. That's all very, very disturbing. Pegula's Plan A was Polian. That failed and Plan B was to let the same old cast of characters continue on. Go ahead and rationalize it all day long. Apparently, very little has changed at the top and that's not good.

How does everyone feel about Jim Overdorf? He's helping Whaley and Brandon with the head coach search. That's all very, very disturbing. Pegula's Plan A was Polian. That failed and Plan B was to let the same old cast of characters continue on. Go ahead and rationalize it all day long. Apparently, very little has changed at the top and that's not good.

It would make sense to take the chief contract negotiator on any interview if numbers are going to be discussed.

Whaley is making the decision, which should make fans happy IMO.

I imagine that Overdorf's days are numbered. Right now is probably not a good time to jettison him. Once a coach has been hired and the pegulas have had time to really get ahold of the way the team is organized and works, I think Overdorf retires and maybe goes to work for the Ralph Foundation, and then Whaley, rightfully, takes over the contract negotiations, which the GM should be doing. And hires a capologist to assist him.

This :thumbsup: The dysfunction continues. The GM still reporting to the marketing / finance guy. Brandon gave that contract to maroon which gives him 4 mil to walk away, and become a HC for another team while still getting that 4 mill. just ridiculous.

The offensive side of the scouting dept is still very questionable with all the bad moves for the offense the last two years.

I don't get all the happiness over the mess that still exists.

I am a big fan of Whaley, I think he's done a fantastic job of talent acquisition and I am firmly in the camp that would have selected him over Marrone, if there were a forced choice.

As for the oft debated EJ pick: the only real way to treat this is as Whaley's pick. I do not think EJ will pan out, so I am not holding on to some hope that we made a great pick (although it would be fantastic, wouldn't it). Anyway, my point is, missing on one quarterback pick should not derail a career. He is young and clearly set up for a long haul in Buffalo, should he want it. He has done a great job of bringing in talent on the defensive side of the ball as well as offensive playmakers (I still think the Watkins pick will pan out, he's clearly a phenomenal WR). Bringing in Orton was a great move. Kolb was a logical move. Releasing Tavaris too early was suspect. I believe trying to find a franchise QB is a total crapshoot where the odds are stacked against you. It's an educated guess for the best of them. Missing on 1 shouldn't be a firable offense, and we've moved on quickly.

I am happy he is with the team and running the show. I expect him to bring in major OLine reinforcements and two quarterbacks. If he doesn't I'll start to question him. Until then...

Hopefully that's just tossing him a bone so it doesn't appear he's been castrated in case he's moving on at some point soon.

does castration hurt less with a bone in your mouth?

oh, and i think this is terrble news. so much for a new era. same old, same old. i'm just hoping we don't have to google the new coach because he is so obscure.