Mort: Polian tells Pegula he will remain at ESPN

FluffHead

It's kind of interesting to read all of the BS that passes for "news". The Bills organization will be the whipping boy for the next several weeks I'm guessing. For some reason the national media has chosen to fluff Marrone on this. Strap in, if the first 24 hours are any indication it's going to be a fun ride!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this once again allows the Pegulas to overhaul the organization from top to bottom. I don't feel like they should be in a particular hurry to hire a head coach since anyone worth their salt won't be coming from the in-demand coordinator spots. Based on what I've read on here, I wouldn't be feeling very secure about my job if I were Whaley. If they decide to lean toward Schwartz or Reich, Whaley could be safe. Trying to bring someone like Cowher in, he's going to want the keys to the GM office as well.

The funny thing about what Polian said is, if he were a GM and a guy in the consultant or " czar" job that he was going to take told him who he had to hire as a coach or hiring a staff, the heavy lifting he's talking about, he would have blown a gasket and quit in a huff. No way he would have accepted that. He wasn't being brought here to do that anyway.

I like Polian. I would have been happy to have him in Buffalo as a consultant or czar. But I didn't want him having any real power. He's the ultimate manipulator, which you have to be to some degree to be a GM. But he wasn't going to be doing any real GM duties anyway. He wasn't going to studying film. So we have to take his comments with a little grain of salt. He wasn't coming here to be GM. Ever.

I always felt John Butler was a superior personnel man to Polian. If for no reason other than the fact that Polian was beyond stubborn. It cost him SB's in Buffalo and in Indy. The point where I lost all respect for his opinion was when he was effusive in exalting the Bills hiring of Dick Jauron and said that he would have been his second choice if Dungy had turned him down after he fired Mora. Polian didn't want people in his organization that could stand eye to eye with him. Maybe he figured that he and Marrone would relate and work well together because they are both more smoke than fire.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Another thing makes NO sense:

Polian supposedly not joining Bills because Marrone ripped organization.

This is the same Marrone who just yesterday was trying to leverage an extension with the same organization that he now is ripping?!?

Like 90 percent of you I had the same problems and issues with Marrone. But everything that is happening is exactly why I didn't want him fired.

I don't believe any rift caused him to go. It was his 'stock' may not be higher, he had no QB here (that's probably the real rift), and no easy way to fix it.

My hope was him bringing in a better OC to get it right and of course do whatever to find a QB. He thought it too difficult and I guarantee all potential new HC or Czars will feel the same and we'll be right back to square one on candidates we will have 'settled' on bc the best people will say no.

Perpetual mediocrity continues.

Edited by Big Blitz

The whole Polian thing is truly bizarre. There could be a number of things happening...

- This could all be a smokescreen for an eventual hire after the HOF vote. I kind of doubt this, if he really wanted the job badly, he'd be in Buffalo by now beginning the HC search. The 'top' candidates will be off the market by February and you cannot hire a coach before they officially hire a GM-like figure, what kind of message does that send to the new coach?

- Polian bailed yesterday on Pegula, told Marrone, and since Pegula now needs to find someone else to fill the czar role, Marrone bailed since there was too much uncertainty, and Polian is blaming Marrone as an excuse. I think this is the most likely.

- Polian really did bail after Marrone left.

Florio's claim that it's about money is BS. Terry has proven time and again that money is never an object when it comes to these things and there's nothing to prove in this case that it's anything other than Polian 'changing' his mind.

Another thing makes NO sense:

Polian supposedly not joining Bills because Marrone ripped organization.

This is the same Marrone who just yesterday was trying to leverage an extension with the same organization that he now is ripping?!?

could have been a string of events where once they didn't honor his extension request, he decided to quit and then ripped them to Polian.

Whaley is still the GM folks, hope hes glued to his phone right now! Between coaching candidates and the owners. Time for him to dig his heels in, find the best coaching candidate possible, and put this snakes nest mess behind him.

If he can pull that off, hes golden. Im watching to see how Whaley handles all this, its all on him now. He could come out of it smelling like a rose if hes been doing his due diligence this whole time. I mean, thats his gig, right? Keeping up to the minute with all things football related.

I actually feel some slight confidence that he can handle the task as well as anyone. Its not anymore complicated than uncovering the best head coach possible, whether its from college ranks or pro's.

Git r done Doug

Edited by mastershake

The funny thing is how could the franchise not have predicted Marrone would take the 4 million dollar golden parachute option? I could have predicted it if I had known about it. Something smells funny to me. If there wasn't some type of plan in place then the Bills truly are a mess. I hope there is more to the story yet to come

Maybe this is all for the best. There was major drama when Pat LaFontaine came and even more when he left. But, the Sabres are in a much better place now. Perhaps Pegula should gut the team and hire the hottest young football mind out there to fix this place, just like what Tim Murray did.

could have been a string of events where once they didn't honor his extension request, he decided to quit and then ripped them to Polian.

Still a headscratcher, since reports were that Pegs was eventually going to give him a raise.

I can't see money being the deal breaker. It has to be about wresting more player personnel control away from Whaley and Pegula not willing to go there before consulting with his (supposedly) incoming Czar...