Mort: Polian tells Pegula he will remain at ESPN

FluffHead

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to like the Pegula's, but right now the franchise they paid 1.4B for is in off-season free fall. Perhaps there's a plan, but I get the feeling they are putting out fires and there was no plan after the season concluded.

Terry and/or Kim need to respond.

I don't care that Polian didn't take the job because Marrone left. If he truly thought Marrone was that good then this is for the best because Marrone plays 1986 football and that doesn't win anymore. I can't wait for Marrone to fall flat on his face in New York with his dumb lisp and atrocious decision making.

The whole Polian thing is truly bizarre. There could be a number of things happening...

- This could all be a smokescreen for an eventual hire after the HOF vote. I kind of doubt this, if he really wanted the job badly, he'd be in Buffalo by now beginning the HC search. The 'top' candidates will be off the market by February and you cannot hire a coach before they officially hire a GM-like figure, what kind of message does that send to the new coach?

- Polian bailed yesterday on Pegula, told Marrone, and since Pegula now needs to find someone else to fill the czar role, Marrone bailed since there was too much uncertainty, and Polian is blaming Marrone as an excuse. I think this is the most likely.

- Polian really did bail after Marrone left.

Florio's claim that it's about money is BS. Terry has proven time and again that money is never an object when it comes to these things and there's nothing to prove in this case that it's anything other than Polian 'changing' his mind.

definitely not money

@viccarucci: Polian has a new contract from ESPN. "It certainly wouldn't have been as lucrative" as what he would have received from #Bills.

I want to like the Pegula's, but right now the franchise they paid 1.4B for is in off-season free fall. Perhaps there's a plan, but I get the feeling they are putting out fires and there was no plan after the season concluded.

Terry and/or Kim need to respond.

No. No they do not. Losing Marrone is a free fall? He's not some innovator or elite head coach. He's a fat version of Dick Jauron. Bills fans are !@#$ing ridiculous.

If you look at Polian's last couple years in Indy it is not the Best. There is a reason the roof caved after Peyton Manning left. And if his big plan was Kyle Orton at QB and Marrone? :bag: Marrone was supposed to be the offensive genius, but the defense carried the team and Marrone.

That makes no sense from Polian's quotes. Mentoring/advisory by definition is not a power job, commitment job, hiring job, GM job. With Marrone gone, that Advisory job doesn't change one bit, except he's advising the GM, presumably Whaley, on who he likes as a hire. The new coach doesn't need a multi year commitment from an advisor.

I still hope Brandon is kept on the business side and no longer involved in player or coach decisions. When they're asked who decided on a draft pick, I don't want to hear it was a "Buffalo Bills decision". I want someone to stand up and take responsibility. Stop using Buffalo Bill Cody as a scapegoat.

Well if Brandon isn't deciding, who is? Pegula? Whaley? TBD fan poll?

That makes no sense from Polian's quotes. Mentoring/advisory by definition is not a power job, commitment job, hiring job, GM job. With Marrone gone, that Advisory job doesn't change one bit, except he's advising the GM, presumably Whaley, on who he likes as a hire. The new coach doesn't need a multi year commitment from an advisor.

Here is another...

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana 3m3 minutes ago

Vic and Polian are real tight. Now I believe Polian indeed won't be here. Again, fine with that. Let's forget the past, forge ahead

You are entirely correct and originally I felt that this was a soft slamming of the door due to the HOF. I honestly feel like there might be a full house cleaning going on right now. I just can't wrap my head around all of this right now...It is going to be an interesting ride...

Edited by Reed83HOF

Here is another...

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana 3m3 minutes ago

Vic and Polian are real tight. Now I believe Polian indeed won't be here. Again, fine with that. Let's forget the past, forge ahead

You are entirely correct and originally I felt that this was a soft slamming of the door due to the HOF. I honestly feel like there might be a full house cleaning going on right now...

I don't think there will be a full house cleaning at all. Polian said he was coming as an advisor. Maybe we will bring in someone else to do that. But I think right now, Pegula and Whaley just go about trying to hire a new coach. That's the GM's job. And the first time Whaley is really in this position.

The new coach doesn't need a multi year commitment from an advisor.

Yeah, that logic is real odd. I wouldn't think Bill would've been here more than a year or two, either way.

Maybe its just stepping back from the shiit storm ahead of the HOF vote, so as to not tarnish his legacy (something Marv should have done)...

Im glad.

Polian has a great history but hes an old man now and the game has moved beyond him. He got incredibly lucky with having TWO franchise HOF QBs falling into his lap. The year Peyton Manning had his neck injury and missed the season really exposed how talent deficient the colts really were all those years.

Manning carried those teams and he should have more than 1 superbowl win to his name.

+1.

The team wouldn't tell Marrone who the GM would be? Honestly, there seems to have been manipulative drama surrounding Marrone's tenure since the day he was hired.

Peter King @SI_PeterKing · 5m

By the way, I don’t blame Marrone for leaving Bills. Had contract opt-out. Exercised it. Made $4m. If I were him, and the team wouldn’t>>>

Peter King @SI_PeterKing 5m

<<<tell me who GM would be, and wouldn’t give me an extension, and I knew I’d be in some demand, why not opt out?

Edited by Punch

Duck!

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 46s47 seconds ago

Polian said he spoke w Terry Pegula over holidays about a mentoring/advisory role. Things changed w Orton's retirement & Marrone's leaving.

this makes no sense at all. Why would Polian say no when there is a reason for his mentoring/advisory role now with no QB and HC. What would he have done, recommended that Orton and Marrone leave? So there is nothing for him to do now?

What a mess this turned into. Pegula needs to seize control here. Start making decisions and getting coaches lined up to speak with. I feel like we made big progress this year and now, we are back to the in the between period we had with Juaron and Gailey. Very grim