Mort: Polian tells Pegula he will remain at ESPN

FluffHead

I don't think there will be a full house cleaning at all. Polian said he was coming as an advisor. Maybe we will bring in someone else to do that. But I think right now, Pegula and Whaley just go about trying to hire a new coach. That's the GM's job. And the first time Whaley is really in this position.

Not a huge PFT fan, but Florio does pick some good quotes:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/polian-confirms-that-bills-were-working-behind-brandons-back/

It’s like the National Enquirer,” Brandon said of the rumored Polian return, via WGR550.com. “No, you guys know how we go through it. We’re gonna go through a process and see where that takes us. Obviously, that’s gonna take some time and I don’t know where all this speculation comes from. It’s agent-on-agent crime basically, listening to all the nonsense that’s out there. It’s hard in our business not to get caught up in the noise but its just that: it’s noise.”

Later asked whether there’s a chance ownership is talking to Polian, Brandon was pragmatic.

“He’s the owner, he can do whatever he wants obviously,” Brandon said. “We talk all the time with both Terry and Kim, but it’s his prerogative as owner to handle anything the way he sees fit.”

There was (IIRC LaCanfora's) reports about Brandon possibly to the Raiders - I just wonder how much is true and isn't.

I was going under the assumption that Whaley won the power struggle with Marrone as was widely reported yesterday and he would be here. I now wonder if that if they go the route of Holmgren or Joe Banner and depending on what we do with an HC will influence Whaley's position.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if Brandon isn't deciding, who is? Pegula? Whaley? TBD fan poll?

fan poll would be crazy. Cower would still be available as a President of Football Operations or HC. Not sure how close he and Whaley are. If not, and I'm Whaley, I hire Schwartz, promote Pepper Johnson, and get an experienced OC. would maintain Continuity, could be done quickly, and would get the focus back on finding a QB.

The team wouldn't tell Marrone who the GM would be? Honestly, there seems to have been manipulative drama surrounding Marrone's tenure since the day he was hired.

Peter King @SI_PeterKing · 5m

By the way, I don’t blame Marrone for leaving Bills. Had contract opt-out. Exercised it. Made $4m. If I were him, and the team wouldn’t>>>

Peter King @SI_PeterKing 5m

<<<tell me who GM would be, and wouldn’t give me an extension, and I knew I’d be in some demand, why not opt out?

I saw the GM comment by King as well. All of this is really making wonder what the hell is really going on. I feel that we won't have any conclusions for another month...

I want to like the Pegula's, but right now the franchise they paid 1.4B for is in off-season free fall. Perhaps there's a plan, but I get the feeling they are putting out fires and there was no plan after the season concluded.

Terry and/or Kim need to respond.

I don't see it as free fall at all because one of the biggest reasons the team went 9-7 is still there in Jim Schwartz, as is the entire defense. Plus they are getting Kiko back this year.

Losing Marrone, and hopefully his OC, O line coach is a blessing that most Bills fans simply don't understand why that is. His forte was offense, and O line and both were utter crap the last two years. top ten worst in the NFL the last two seasons, and both Orton and Schwartz / Pettine made him look decent. Without those two he was a 4-12 head coach

The team still needs a HC, a new entire offensive staff, a QB, and either a senior football adviser or team president of football operations.

I'm looking forward to whom they hire in all category's. This owner is not limited in what salary he is willing to pay.

No. No they do not. Losing Marrone is a free fall? He's not some innovator or elite head coach. He's a fat version of Dick Jauron. Bills fans are !@#$ing ridiculous.

They've lost their starting QB, their HC, and had a respected executive turn down a job offer in 72 hours. They need to hire a HC, determine who will do that, and probably hire a team president. Who leads that search?

It is a surreal turn of events for a team that hasn't done well in public relations over the years. And ownership is still silent.

Edited by BillsVet

Not a huge PFT fan, but Florio does pick some good quotes:

http://profootballta...-brandons-back/

It’s like the National Enquirer,” Brandon said of the rumored Polian return, via WGR550.com. “No, you guys know how we go through it. We’re gonna go through a process and see where that takes us. Obviously, that’s gonna take some time and I don’t know where all this speculation comes from. It’s agent-on-agent crime basically, listening to all the nonsense that’s out there. It’s hard in our business not to get caught up in the noise but its just that: it’s noise.”

Later asked whether there’s a chance ownership is talking to Polian, Brandon was pragmatic.

“He’s the owner, he can do whatever he wants obviously,” Brandon said. “We talk all the time with both Terry and Kim, but it’s his prerogative as owner to handle anything the way he sees fit.”

There was (IIRC LaCanfora's) reports about Brandon possibly to the Raiders - I just wonder how much is true and isn't.

I was going under the assumption that Whaley won the power struggle with Marrone as was widely reported yesterday and he would be here. I now wonder if that if they go the route of Holmgren or Joe Banner and depending on what we do with an HC will influence Whaley's position.

Why has anything changed with Whaley at all? Polian clearly was not being brought in to be GM in any manner.

Besides, I don't take a word of what Brandon says to the media as any indication of anything.

This is really bad. Optics matter if you want to hire good people. The Bills have now been spurned by Marrone and Polian and the negativity surrounding these decisions is all over. I was okay with the circumstances surrounding Marrone's departure leaving because I thought Polian was coming. Now with more negative stuff coming out and Polian deciding not to take a position with the Bills, I am very concerned. Who is available to clean up this mess? Wolf, Accorsi and Casserly already have been retained by other teams.

I also think we are underestimating what needs to be done here. The perception that this is a "heavy lift" is not helpful, but without a starting caliber QB, among other things, it probably is.

Polian confirms that the Bills were working behind Russ Brandon's back. Sok by me :thumbsup:

This ISN"T the same old Buffalo Bills run by a notoriously cantankerous micromanaging owner that few want to work for. This is one of the very richest owners in the league, and will leave no stone un-turned to find excellence for their team.

Have some faith!

They've lost their starting QB, their HC, and had a respected executive turn down a job offer in 72 hours. It is a surreal turn of events fir a team that hasn't done well in public relations over the years.

Orton is a dime a dozen QB. The HC is a dime a dozen HC that was supposed to be an offensive guru that couldn't even manage a mediocre offense. He was also an "expert" on o-line play and that unit was an embarrassment the last 2 years. They were turned down by an old man that thought the first two people you listed were the cornerstones of the franchise? Pass.

I rarely defend this organization but this is quite possibly the best thing that has happened to this organization in a long time.

If it is true that Marrone spoke badly about the Bills' organization when he spoke to Polian, it must be galling for Pegula to have to pay Marrone millions of dollars for opting out while he continues to rip the organization. Couldn't the Bills at least have negotiated a non-disparagement provision for all of that money?

I rarely defend this organization but this is quite possibly the best thing that has happened to this organization in a long time.

I'm not arguing those guys aren't replaceable or were exceptional options. I'm saying the team looks bad and it won't help in their ability to hire another coach or attract free agents.

The interesting thing is that HOF voting is 31 January. Polian CANT take a job before then or he is ineligible. I wonder if this report is just out there just so that it doesnt impact the HOF vote in 4 weeks....then Polian joins the Bills. Just a random thought...

ding ding ding ding ding. we have a winner. if he waits till he's done with the Bills, he'll be older than Ralph.

This is getting uglier by the day. I'm starting to worry about next year as much as I was looking forward to it. Seems no one, other than some players want to work for the Bills.

Oh cry me a river. Good grief we're back to this again? Get over yourself.

Would you take a great paying job with the Bills?

Everything getting blown out of proportion. All these reporters are speculating and now saying what a mess because all they have been reporting has not come true. Whaley is GM, promote Schwartz and hire an offensive coaching staff. Players will be happy and life goes on.

The guy is 72 years old, Would you want the stress of this job!

Everything getting blown out of proportion. All these reporters are speculating and now saying what a mess because all they have been reporting has not come true. Whaley is GM, promote Schwartz and hire an offensive coaching staff. Players will be happy and life goes on.

Agree here