Mort: Polian tells Pegula he will remain at ESPN

FluffHead

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 4m4 minutes ago

Polian said he spoke w Terry Pegula over holidays about a mentoring/advisory role. Things changed w Orton's retirement & Marrone's leaving.

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 3m3 minutes ago

Polian said job changed to a "real heavy lift. Hire new coach, hire staff, etc., etc."

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 16s17 seconds ago

Polian: "It would have required a really long commitment to a new coach who deserved a long commitment that I wasn't prepared to make."

Vic Carucci@viccarucci 35s35 seconds ago

Polian: "Because of the circumstances that had changed so dramatically required a commitment I wasn't prepared to make." He's 72.

Edited by Reed83HOF

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could just be a cover story till the HOF vote is over with. Polian is a football lifer I would wait and see what happens next month. It would be hilarious is Mort was getting played.

More likely than Mort getting played is that Mort is helping Polian out knowing that Polian needs people to think he is staying at ESPN.

Of course the news that he is not coming is one of those same reports. ;)

Except that the only thing Polian himself has said on the subject is that he's not.

I'll take Polian's first had statements over a mass of tweets.

Polian said he spoke w Terry Pegula over holidays about a mentoring/advisory role. Things changed w Orton's retirement & Marrone's leaving.

Polian said job changed to a "real heavy lift. Hire new coach, hire staff, etc., etc."

Polian: "It would have required a really long commitment to a new coach who deserved a long commitment that I wasn't prepared to make."

Polian: "Because of the circumstances that had changed so dramatically required a commitment I wasn't prepared to make." He's 72.

In essence, he just want to get paid to not do too much. See you old man.

Those comments make sense. The landscape has shifted dramatically from simply looking over the operations and providing counsel to Whaley.

Well if he envisioned Orton as his QB then this again is great news.

Those comments make sense. The landscape has shifted dramatically from simply looking over the operations and providing counsel to Whaley.

Yep. Although if he wasn't planning on hiring coaches and staff anyway, or doing any heavy lifting, he wasn't taking on any kind of GM role. So the whole thing is murky. It's somewhat reminiscent of the LaFontaine issue. It was a made up job with very uncertain parameters. Maybe Polian just assumed certain things.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 39s39 seconds ago

Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 50s51 seconds ago

Everything was lined up for Polian to return to Bills just 24 hours ago. But he is a big fan of Marrone's and trusts his opinion.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Yep. Although if he wasn't planning on hiring coaches and staff anyway, or doing any heavy lifting, he wasn't taking on any kind of GM role. So the whole thing is murky. It's somewhat reminiscent of the LaFontaine issue. It was a made up job with very uncertain parameters. Maybe Polian just assumed certain things.

Hard to believe Bill saw Marrone (who he liked) bailing like this. The front office is in rebuilding mode now, which is way more than a consulting gig...

I still hope Brandon is kept on the business side and no longer involved in player or coach decisions. When they're asked who decided on a draft pick, I don't want to hear it was a "Buffalo Bills decision". I want someone to stand up and take responsibility. Stop using Buffalo Bill Cody as a scapegoat.