Mort: Polian tells Pegula he will remain at ESPN

FluffHead

Everything getting blown out of proportion. All these reporters are speculating and now saying what a mess because all they have been reporting has not come true. Whaley is GM, promote Schwartz and hire an offensive coaching staff. Players will be happy and life goes on.

but, but, but then we're not doomed.....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction is that Pegula will move fwd with Whaley and choose another HC. Brandon will likely remain in some capacity with Pegula but probably with the OneBuffalo campaign. Maybe a consultant will still be brought in to help the Pegulas with advice on org. structure.

I don't see it as a dumpster fire at all as another poster asked. Better to start fresh with new HC and offense. Keep defensive coaches intact as they are all under contract.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So where is the poison in the Bills' organization that nobody wants to be around? Whaley? Or maybe Pegula himself? There's something rotten at OBD.

Think about the difficulty of the situation for any new team president of football operations.

No viable HC, no viable QB, No first round pick to get a QB. Probably no RB, and various players on the defense need to be resigned. Is it really any wonder why a 72 year old turned down the job.

I highly doubt Bill Cowher wants to come to Buffalo to inherit this mess caused by the current GM, and team president. Yeah, it was Whaley who traded away next years first, and fourth backed by Brandon, and it was Russ who OKed that escape clause in Marrone's contract. It has been Whaley's job to bring in decent players for that O line, and he failed the last two years.

Nothing wrong with new hires tho, look at Arizona, Philly, San Diego, Denver, Detroit, Seattle. The sky is not falling because people we don't know might be hired.

Everything getting blown out of proportion. All these reporters are speculating and now saying what a mess because all they have been reporting has not come true. Whaley is GM, promote Schwartz and hire an offensive coaching staff. Players will be happy and life goes on.

yes, we just experienced a hyper version of the lafontaine affair. Now let the gm take car of business...

Hiring Schwartz right away would be a knee jerk reaction. Marrone leaving isn't the end of the world. As of now we don't know what really went on. The details will emerge over the next several days. My hope is that Pegula leads over the next couple of weeks or so and the Bills proceed as if they just bought the team and fired the coach. Look for a Football Czar to act as a consultant and get him on board. Compile a list of HC candidates and start interviewing. Complete the interviews in the next few weeks, depending on if any candidates are in the playoffs or on bowl teams. Pick the best one and let's move forward. What I hope they don't do is read the internet, listen to all the sports media buffoons and panic. This should play out the same as if they had fired Marrone.

Hiring Schwartz is hardly knee jerk. It makes considerable sense. But I understand the optics here. Right now we're looking like crap and the same old sad sack franchise. I really don't believe that's the case this time but this drama will make it more difficult in the short term to attract a top HC with so many other teams looking. Rightly or wrongly, people are going to see a starting quarterback, a head coach and a top respected consultant all decide to bail on Buffalo in a 48 hr period. TP's got his hands full.

Edited by Green Lightning

If they hire Schwartz before interviewing other candidates, it would be a knee jerk reaction. My hope is that they perform a systematic search for the next coach. Schwartz maybe the best candidate available for numerous reasons or he may be the next Marrone. I'm thinking he's closer to Marrone than to the best candidate. I just hope they find out for sure.

Hiring Schwartz is hardly knee jerk. It makes considerable sense. But I understand the optics here. Right now we're looking like crap and the same old sad sack franchise. I really don't believe that's the case this time but this drama will make it more difficult in the short term to attract a top HC with so many other teams looking. Rightly or wrongly, people are going to see a starting quarterback, a head coach and a top respected consultant all decide to bail on Buffalo in a 48 hr period. TP's got his hands full.

Schwartz was pretty awful in Detroit. Especially the last two years. They had a talented, high powered, well coordinated offense and talent on his defense in Detroit and badly underachieved. Fell from the playoffs to 4-12.....FOUR AND FRICKIN 12...... in 2012 and then started strong and collapsed in epic, snowballing fashion in 2013. Four losing seasons in 5 years. He was fired for a reason. Terrible as a HC. Terrible. When Cadaver Caldwell comes in and looks like Vince Lombardi compared to you......sheesh.

Schwartz was pretty awful in Detroit. Especially the last two years. They had a talented, high powered, well coordinated offense and talent on his defense in Detroit and badly underachieved. Fell from the playoffs to 4-12.....FOUR AND FRICKIN 12...... in 2012 and then started strong and collapsed in epic, snowballing fashion in 2013. Four losing seasons in 5 years. He was fired for a reason. Terrible as a HC. Terrible. When Cadaver Caldwell comes in and looks like Vince Lombardi compared to you......sheesh.

And yet the guy he hired to run his offense gets fired with him, goes to Dallas and completely turns around their team.

A lot of stuff goes into teams having bad years. Sometimes it's the coach, sometimes it's the star players having bad years, sometimes it's injuries, etc.

He also took the worst team ever and got them to the playoffs in three years.

And yet the guy he hired to run his offense gets fired with him, goes to Dallas and completely turns around their team.

A lot of stuff goes into teams having bad years. Sometimes it's the coach, sometimes it's the star players having bad years, sometimes it's injuries, etc.

Look at the talent on that roster KTD. 1 good year is not good enough, especially when they regressed.

If this was 10 years ago I would be bummed but not now. Polian knows his limitations. His age and the need for a long term commitment worked against him taking the job. It was nice to hope but it is really for the best. Pegula can call in someone else who has experience in the front office to help shepherd along the organization.

Yeah, that was kinda' my point. Linehan is a good OC. Schwartz is just a bad HC and he passed DC duties to Gunther Cunningham, who was last in style when Walt Corey still had the Bills DC job. :lol:

And he didn't have just one bad year. His tenure in Detroit was Jauron-ian. One winning year in 5. The last two years he had talent and flamed out badly. His teams quit on him. Hiring him as HC would be a huge leap of faith based strictly on his DC past. There have been lots of DC's who do that job well but were lousy HC's.

Look at the talent on that roster KTD. 1 good year is not good enough, especially when they regressed.

Their defensive line was awesome. Their DBs were terrible and linebackers shaky. They didn't have Golden Tate like they do now. Reggie Bush is average. Pettigrew was a semi-bust. They were not a great team across the board. Stafford has had good and bad years.

When Schwartz was there the offense, in yards, with the worst team ever, went from 26-17-5-3-6. That's pretty damn good. With Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure their best RBs.

He wasn't that bad.

There is literally nothing that will stop you from being a Marrone/Hackett apoligist. It's disgusting. Go start a tomato-face fanzine

:nana:

Their defensive line was awesome. Their DBs were terrible and linebackers shaky. They didn't have Golden Tate like they do now. Reggie Bush is average. Pettigrew was a semi-bust. They were not a great team across the board. Stafford has had good and bad years.

When Schwartz was there the offense, in yards, with the worst team ever, went from 26-17-5-3-6. That's pretty damn good. With Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure their best RBs.

He wasn't that bad.

I guess not, but 2013 was unacceptable as an HC. It'd be like going 4-12 with this roster.