Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo Players?

HOUSE

Did Marrone quit on Buffalo players  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo players ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have my own feelings on this

Eric Davis: Doug Marrone quit on Buffalo Bills !!!

Doug Marrone's sudden departure from Buffalo stunned plenty of his former players.

"How quickly things can change just had a team meeting Monday and wasn't given a heads up, but guess that's how this business works," C.J. Spiller tweeted on Wednesday.

Added Aaron Williams: "Lost all respect!! Completely pissed off, but not gonna let it ruin my New Years #Deuces #CantWait."

But did Marrone really do the wrong thing? The question is interesting enough to debate given the uncertain and unforgiving nature of the NFL.

NFL Media's Eric Davis summed up the player side well this morning on NFL AM.

"If I was in Buffalo, I'd be upset with him, man," Davis said. "From a player's standpoint, I would be upset. Just give me a heads up if you're quitting on me, because that's what you did: You're quitting on me."

"You're talking about what's good for the team," Davis continued, "putting all of your personal feelings aside and making certain that you're doing things for the team, and then you're just gonna walk out on me?"

But former NFL offensive lineman and current league analyst Ross Tucker raises a good point, too. <SNIP>

http://www.nfl.com/n...n-buffalo-bills

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he saw a once in a lifetime opportunity to "hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and took it. Can't say I blame him or under similar circumstances I wouldn't have done the same thing...

There isn't always a hero or a villain in every story like the media wants to portray.

Marrone likely looked at it and said "When is the next time I will ever get a chance to earn a free $4 million in my life? Never? Well, maybe I need to seriously consider it then."

Marrone likely asked the Bills what they were going to offer him for him deciding not to take the free $4 million that was on the table? . When they didn't offer him anything, or not enough for his liking, he decided it was a better decision to take the $4 million.

Not to be an @sshole, not to be a d!ck...just because he decided it was a better business/financial decision for him and his family. I don't think any of us can sit here and say if we had the same situation presented to us that we wouldn't have seriously considered doing the same thing...

Edited by matter2003

Silly question. It's just business.

If he goes 5-11 next season with the Bills his career hits a major speed bump. Instead, he gets his full paycheck from the Bills for 2015 AND appears to have a very good shot at a new HC gig which likely comes with a new 4 year deal.

I thought it was unlikely to happen, but after looking at the situation now with his current prospects, it looks like a no-brainer move for Marrone.

If he goes 5-11 next season with the Bills his career hits a major speed bump. Instead, he gets his full paycheck from the Bills for 2015 AND appears to have a very good shot at a new HC gig which likely comes with a new 4 year deal.

I thought it was unlikely to happen, but after looking at the situation now with his current prospects, it looks like a no-brainer move for Marrone.

I absolutely agree. There is still no QB in Buffalo, so doing better than 9-7 will be extremely difficult.

What you just said to me shows that he did quit. He bailed on his team for the almighty dollar. He preached family over and over and bolted at the first sign of extra money. The players have every right to be pissed and feel betrayed

What you just said to me shows that he did quit. He bailed on his team for the almighty dollar. He preached family over and over and bolted at the first sign of extra money. The players have every right to be pissed and feel betrayed

If this was college maybe, in the NFL--never. All of those players will do the same thing when the time comes.

It's ironic. Doug supposedly quit because he didn't get contract extensions for himself and his staff.

It's great he stood up for his subordinate coaches. But then he abandoned them. They're 'stuck here' with their existing contracts while he takes the millions and runs.

Did he tell Hackett, "Don't worry Nate, I'm not leaving you behind. The new head coach will fire you anyway."

Where's the loyalty now?

I absolutely agree. There is still no QB in Buffalo, so doing better than 9-7 will be extremely difficult.

A lot can change between now and training camp, especially if a guy like Polian's back in the mix. There'll be an Orton-level guy (or even slightly better) shake out somewhere, even if it's not apparent who that is today.

The way I see it, Marrone came from running the whole show at Syracuse and never seemed to accept that he was only one voice in the management structure at OBD. If Polian comes back, Marrone's input is that much smaller.

If he goes to the Jests, I can see him convincing Woody Johnson to give him more control over the entire football operation. That, and that alone, may have been enough to cause him to pull the plug...

I think he saw a once in a lifetime opportunity to "hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and took it. Can't say I blame him or under similar circumstances I wouldn't have done the same thing...

There isn't always a hero or a villain in every story like the media wants to portray.

Marrone likely looked at it and said "When is the next time I will ever get a chance to earn a free $4 million in my life? Never? Well, maybe I need to seriously consider it then."

Marrone likely asked the Bills what they were going to offer him for him deciding not to take the free $4 million that was on the table? . When they didn't offer him anything, or not enough for his liking, he decided it was a better decision to take the $4 million.

Not to be an @sshole, not to be a d!ck...just because he decided it was a better business/financial decision for him and his family. I don't think any of us can sit here and say if we had the same situation presented to us that we wouldn't have seriously considered doing the same thing...

Like it or not, it's hard to blame him. A free $4 mil, plus a big payday from another team on top of that for the 9-7 season here. And the timing of it all is perfect. He won't get another opportunity like this again in life. Nope, can't blame him at all.

Yes he quit on his players.

I disagree with Ross Tucker's statement. Its not the same for coaches as it is for players. If a coach gets fired before the end of his contract, he still gets paid. There isnt a chance a coach gets injured and ends his career early.

I get why Marrone took advantage of the clause and opporunity, I understand it in a very selfish way.

But he absolutely quit on his players, contradicted everything he has been preaching to those players, and really showed hes a spineless dick.

How about some credit to the mensa that penned the deal to give Marrone his full salary if he quit via the opt out clause?

just another shining example of mismanagement. Add it to Mike Williams, Bryce Brown, maybe Watkins. And everything else that's gone on in the last miserable 15 years.

Bottom line. We'll run franchises don't do this stuff.

When will we find out if Marrone did a Mularkey move? Perhaps he knew Hackett would get canned, and he decided he didn't want to be in a position to still be here after his friend was fired.

I'm not sure if that makes him a good guy or a jerk. He also knows he will land on his feet somewhere. It will be interesting to see where Hackett ends up.

That free $4 million will serve his family quite well.

As a business decision, you can't fault Marrone. If he had stayed, he would have effectively been working for free in 2015 (he gets the $4 million either way).

Plus, with no starting QB on the roster, the win total could have easily declined thus ruining his marketability.

So he got out then the getting was good.

Nonetheless, it feels like he quit on both his players and coaches. If Pegula had treated him unjustly in some way, you could rationalize it. But Pegs honored his contract. It was Marrone who suddenly decided that the contract he originally signed wasn't good enough.

I guess a 15-17 record can go to your head.

I think we should also review rather Kyle Orton Quit ?

I would have to say yes.

It's different. Orton retired so he could spend more time with his family and probably to also walk away with his brain intact. None of that applies to Marrone.

It's different. Orton retired so he could spend more time with his family and probably to also walk away with his brain intact. None of that applies to Marrone.

He also said he was looking for the perfect situation before he came out of retirement. He did this for 4 months only

Hiding behind the kids doesn't work for me.

Marrone did what was best for Marrone. Let's face it, he was going to get fired next year anyhow. With EJ as the QB and Hackett calling the plays we were going to be one of the worst offenses in the league. Signing on with another team buys him a few more years as a head coach in this league. He's just looking out for himself the same way players opt out of deals all of the time. Dont hate the player hate the game

Exercised an option given to him by the Bills.

Which still doesn't change the fact that he quit. You're arguing his right to quit and/or the wisdom of doing so, but no matter how good his explanation is, it doesn't change the undeniable fact that he did quit.

Which still doesn't change the fact that he quit. You're arguing his right to quit and/or the wisdom of doing so, but no matter how good his explanation is, it doesn't change the undeniable fact that he did quit.

I fail to see how it is any different from a player choosing to test FA instead of re-signing.

I fail to see how it is any different from a player choosing to test FA instead of re-signing.

It's different in a lot of ways. First, the coach is the leader of the team in a way that no player is.

Second, the player doesn't encourage the coach to sacrifice his well being for that of the team.

I also see it as different because it's not like his status was up in the air. He talked as though he was coming back up until the 11th hour. He was contracted to coach for 4 years. He had an escape clause that allowed him to quit and he exercised it.

Edited by Rob's House

It's different in a lot of ways. First, the coach is the leader of the team in a way that no player is.

Second, the player doesn't encourage the coach to sacrifice his well being for that of the team.

I also see it as different because it's not like his status was up in the air. He talked as though he was coming back up until the 11th hour. He was contracted to coach for 4 years. He had an escape clause that allowed him to quit and he exercised it.

Every player says they want to stay, until they don't.

Just because a coach and a player have different roles doesn't make them different. Players lead and expect each other to sacrifice as well.

If Kyle Williams left to test FA, what would say?

just another shining example of mismanagement. Add it to Mike Williams, Bryce Brown, maybe Watkins. And everything else that's gone on in the last miserable 15 years.

Bottom line. We'll run franchises don't do this stuff.

I don't believe this to be true... Marrone took less when he came to the Bills( Browns offered more)... Ralph's health wasn't good and anybody coming to Buffalo signing a 4 yr. deal would want some reassurances etc.. It was just a necessity that needed to be included b/c of the circumstance.

It's hard to keep up with this site over the last couple days. So, I've just been reading.

My thoughts are this:

Marrone was developing into a good NFL coach. A lot of the criticism of him, over the last couple seasons, was that he wasn't an NFL coach (nor was Hackett), but a college coach who was out of his league. That sentiment certainly rang true last season-- less so this season. Clearly, among the rest of the NFL, outside of Buffalo, he is now seen as the real deal. I agree. I don't believe he has reached his ceiling as a head coach, and if he had stayed with us, he would be a better coach for us next season as well. I wonder if he hasn't hurt his future by jumping ship so early in his NFL career in search of greener pastures.

All that being said, I don't fault him his decision. Certainly, the atmosphere for him had soured, and given this season's success, he obviously has several good opportunities in front of him. But, from my armchair, I am disappointed, both for him, and for us.

Every player says they want to stay, until they don't.

Just because a coach and a player have different roles doesn't make them different. Players lead and expect each other to sacrifice as well.

If Kyle Williams left to test FA, what would say?

If his contract expired I'd say nothing. If he exercised an escape clause I'd say he quit. Whether I'd support his decision is a separate matter.