Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo Players?

HOUSE

Did Marrone quit on Buffalo players  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo players ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have my own feelings on this

Silly question. It's just business.

If he goes 5-11 next season with the Bills his career hits a major speed bump. Instead, he gets his full paycheck from the Bills for 2015 AND appears to have a very good shot at a new HC gig which likely comes with a new 4 year deal.

I thought it was unlikely to happen, but after looking at the situation now with his current prospects, it looks like a no-brainer move for Marrone.

Well, true unless you have the integrity to finish what you started. Money whores in the world are a dime a dozen. With most eventually getting their just due. His story is far from complete.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he saw a once in a lifetime opportunity to "hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and took it. Can't say I blame him or under similar circumstances I wouldn't have done the same thing...

There isn't always a hero or a villain in every story like the media wants to portray.

Marrone likely looked at it and said "When is the next time I will ever get a chance to earn a free $4 million in my life? Never? Well, maybe I need to seriously consider it then."

Marrone likely asked the Bills what they were going to offer him for him deciding not to take the free $4 million that was on the table? . When they didn't offer him anything, or not enough for his liking, he decided it was a better decision to take the $4 million.

Not to be an @sshole, not to be a d!ck...just because he decided it was a better business/financial decision for him and his family. I don't think any of us can sit here and say if we had the same situation presented to us that we wouldn't have seriously considered doing the same thing...

What you say is all true, but you can make a business/financial decision in a dick-ish way or in an up-front way. Telling the players up front what was his decision instead of letting them learn from the media and an after-the-fact text, would be the up-front path.

Players get it that business is involved, when a man is negotiating his contract and follows the money instead of re-signing with his team "brothers" they aren't all "you quit on me". I think it's the rah, rah meeting: team, family, personal feelings aside, one day and the "bye! exercising my option!" the next that has guys feeling sore.

Well, true unless you have the integrity to finish what you started. Money whores in the world are a dime a dozen. With most eventually getting their just due. His story is far from complete.

Spare me. Are you going to say the same thing if Hugues leaves for more money? Both guys have to look at 2015 as if it might be their last big contract. There's no reason to fault someone for maximizing their opportunities and earnings when they are in a high risk, high turnover profession.

If one of your employer's competitors offered you a huge raise w/ a guaranteed contract would you turn it down so you could 'finish what you started'? Or would you take it and be a 'quitter'?

If people need to sooth their hurt feelings by shouting 'quitter' in an attempt to denigrate Marrone, I suppose that's what they need to do. But it's pretty easy to cast stones when it's not your career and your wallet that's on the line.

No, but we are the "smaller" program so acting like jilted lovers is par for the course.

Perfect analogy.

Spare me. Are you going to say the same thing if Hugues leaves for more money? Both guys have to look at 2015 as if it might be their last big contract. There's no reason to fault someone for maximizing their opportunities and earnings when they are in a high risk, high turnover profession.

If one of your employer's competitors offered you a huge raise w/ a guaranteed contract would you turn it down so you could 'finish what you started'? Or would you take it and be a 'quitter'?

If people need to sooth their hurt feelings by shouting 'quitter' in an attempt to denigrate Marrone, I suppose that's what they need to do. But it's pretty easy to cast stones when it's not your career and your wallet that's on the line.

Perfect analogy.

ding ding ding

Silly question. It's just business.

If he goes 5-11 next season with the Bills his career hits a major speed bump. Instead, he gets his full paycheck from the Bills for 2015 AND appears to have a very good shot at a new HC gig which likely comes with a new 4 year deal.

I thought it was unlikely to happen, but after looking at the situation now with his current prospects, it looks like a no-brainer move for Marrone.

$$$ wise maybe it's a no-brainer, but who's to say he'll get another HC position in the NFL anytime soon? If his mindset is I'd rather cash out now after 2 years as an NFL coach (which he was very very lucky to land in the first place due to his lack of pedigree), then god help his prospects at landing another HC position.

If you're on the outside looking in, I wouldn't be impressed with Marrone's commitment to his players or the franchise. Marrone isn't Parcells who's been there and done that and he can pretty much come and go as he pleases. Marrone still needed to earn his stripes in the NFL. Instead he cashed out and ran away from the challenge, like a little B*tch.

Perfect analogy.

Don't compare Hughes to Marrone - it's apples and oranges. Marrone hasn't done jack sh*t in this league as a HC.

Perfect analogy.

Agree 100%. Most people would have done the same whether they want to admit it or not.

$$$ wise maybe it's a no-brainer, but who's to say he'll get another HC position in the NFL anytime soon? If his mindset is I'd rather cash out now after 2 years as an NFL coach (which he was very very lucky to land in the first place due to his lack of pedigree), then god help his prospects at landing another HC position.

If you're on the outside looking in, I wouldn't be impressed with Marrone's commitment to his players or the franchise. Marrone isn't Parcells who's been there and done that and he can pretty much come and go as he pleases. Marrone still needed to earn his stripes in the NFL. Instead he cashed out and ran away from the challenge, like a little B*tch.

Don't compare Hughes to Marrone - it's apples and oranges. Marrone hasn't done jack sh*t in this league as a HC.

And thus we transition from jilted lovers, "he's a jerk for leaving!!!!" to character assassination, "he's a coward!!!!"

It's like you're following a checklist.

Agree 100%. Most people would have done the same whether they want to admit it or not.

What, take a severance package but have no job lined up? Or stay at the company I'm at? If I didn't have another job lined up than no, I wouldn't do the same thing Marrone did. Marrone either had a backdoor deal with another franchise or has an ego the size of niagara falls to think he'll be that much in demand.

Lets also not forget that Marrone made over a million/year at Syracuse, so lets not pretend this was marrone's "last chance at a pay day". That's BS. He's not 80. He could've easily gone back to college if he wanted to and gotten paid in the millions probably b/c that's where he ultimately belongs - leading boys.

stdoug.jpg

St. Doug quit on this team well before it was announced yesterday.

He quit when he refused to adapt his offensive philosophies to fit the players on the team. His way failed. I will forever remember the 2014 season as the year we had a Super Bowl-capable defense and an offense that was never coached to succeed. Good riddance.

And thus we transition from jilted lovers, "he's a jerk for leaving!!!!" to character assassination, "he's a coward!!!!"

It's like you're following a checklist.

What checklist are you following?

And there are ways to go about things - forget the money. Via mass text? LMAO. Pure class. But yeah, I guess that's how you would bounce too, bro.

What checklist are you following?

And there are ways to go about things - forget the money. Via mass text? LMAO. Pure class. But yeah, I guess that's how you would bounce too, bro.

What would you have liked Marrone to do besides the mass text? Text every player individually? Keep in mind, everyone was gone. Some were on flights, some were on vacation, a few were probably in Buffalo.

I'm following a checklist of empathy and reason. It's pretty helpful.

What would you have liked Marrone to do besides the mass text? Text every player individually? Keep in mind, everyone was gone. Some were on flights, some were on vacation, a few were probably in Buffalo.

I'm following a checklist of empathy and reason. It's pretty helpful.

It's simple man - he just didn't have an epiphany over night man. He must've had this in his mind for a while. Let the players know at the end of the season, in person, like a decent HUMAN BEING.

Perfect analogy.

So if you quit you didn't really quit as long as it was a good career move that most people would have taken?