Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo Players?

HOUSE

Did Marrone quit on Buffalo players  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Did Doug Marrone Quit on Buffalo players ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have my own feelings on this

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This organization quit on Chan Gailey.

And they paid him handsomely for his non services.

Marrone quit. Why you cannot type those 2 words in sequence is just another example of your predilection to argue with anyone about anything at any time no matter how wrong or ill informed you may be. You argue for arguments sake and if you aren't a lawyer you probably should be one.

And they paid him handsomely for his non services.

Marrone quit. Why you cannot type those 2 words in sequence is just another example of your predilection to argue with anyone about anything at any time no matter how wrong or ill informed you may be. You argue for arguments sake and if you aren't a lawyer you probably should be one.

I don't see exercising an option as quitting. Sorry.

What, take a severance package but have no job lined up? Or stay at the company I'm at? If I didn't have another job lined up than no, I wouldn't do the same thing Marrone did. Marrone either had a backdoor deal with another franchise or has an ego the size of niagara falls to think he'll be that much in demand.

There's a big difference here. You or I probably would not opt to take a severance with no job lined up. The longer term job security is more important than the short term financial boost. But in Marrone's case, he had the option to get a $4 million "severance". If you or I had that option, we'd jump on it in a heartbeat, because $4 million is a truckload of cash. Frankly, he has probably been eyeing this windfall for some time. He may never get another chance like this again where he gets the big payout, AND had a good enough year where he will likely be able to secure another good paying job.

There's a big difference here. You or I probably would not opt to take a severance with no job lined up. The longer term job security is more important than the short term financial boost. But in Marrone's case, he had the option to get a $4 million "severance". If you or I had that option, we'd jump on it in a heartbeat, because $4 million is a truckload of cash. Frankly, he has probably been eyeing this windfall for some time. He may never get another chance like this again where he gets the big payout, AND had a good enough year where he will likely be able to secure another good paying job.

I think you got it. Marrone is smart enough to realize that if you can't sustain success, you have to leave while you can claim to have achieved it.

Since he's too pig-headed to take responsibility for the OL and offensive play calling and to agree to bring in a real OL coach and OC then stay out of their hair, and since he has no way to develop a QB or develop a game plan that works to the QB's strengths, he obviously can't sustain success.

Therefore his best option is to pull a Bobbie Sue while he can claim enough success to land another gig from a desperate team

I don't know. It's not like he's not fulfilling his contract. To me, that'd be quitting.

He's not fulfilling his contract. He's exercising an option to not fulfill his 4 year contract. That's quitting.

I also think it's a Good Thing for the Bills, but it's still quitting

I get what you're saying, it's all relative though man. Yeah, I'd LOVE a $4 million dollar severanace package, sure, b/c I make nowhere near that. Marrone was making over 1 MILLION at Syracuse as a coach and was making MILLIONS at Buffalo. $4 Million isn't THAT much when you've already been making Millions. It's relative. And others keep saying this will be his "last chance" at a payday. Really? Is he 90? He's a coach, not a player. He could go coach Rutgers or Syracuse 3 years from now and go back to making more than a Million a year if he wanted to.

Reality is, he's a quitter and didn't want to be here anymore. There are people that when the going gets tough, they either hunker down, or they get going. Marrone appears to be the latter.

Edited by bobobonators

He's not fulfilling his contract. He's exercising an option to not fulfill his 4 year contract. That's quitting.

I also think it's a Good Thing for the Bills, but it's still quitting

His contract says he doesn't have to fulfill the rest of his contract. That's what an option is. The option to leave is, "if there's an ownership change, none of the rest of this matters if you don't want it to."

Edited by FireChan

I think he saw a once in a lifetime opportunity to "hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and took it. Can't say I blame him or under similar circumstances I wouldn't have done the same thing...

There isn't always a hero or a villain in every story like the media wants to portray.

Marrone likely looked at it and said "When is the next time I will ever get a chance to earn a free $4 million in my life? Never? Well, maybe I need to seriously consider it then."

Marrone likely asked the Bills what they were going to offer him for him deciding not to take the free $4 million that was on the table? . When they didn't offer him anything, or not enough for his liking, he decided it was a better decision to take the $4 million.

Not to be an @sshole, not to be a d!ck...just because he decided it was a better business/financial decision for him and his family. I don't think any of us can sit here and say if we had the same situation presented to us that we wouldn't have seriously considered doing the same thing...

You just outlined a lack of commitment on Marrone's part. I bet the Pegulas, if they were all in on him, would have taken care of him. They were no longer all in as soon as this became an issue. They would rather part with $4 million than to have a hypocrite coaching the team.

I think he saw a once in a lifetime opportunity to "hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and took it. Can't say I blame him or under similar circumstances I wouldn't have done the same thing...

There isn't always a hero or a villain in every story like the media wants to portray.

Marrone likely looked at it and said "When is the next time I will ever get a chance to earn a free $4 million in my life? Never? Well, maybe I need to seriously consider it then."

Marrone likely asked the Bills what they were going to offer him for him deciding not to take the free $4 million that was on the table? . When they didn't offer him anything, or not enough for his liking, he decided it was a better decision to take the $4 million.

Not to be an @sshole, not to be a d!ck...just because he decided it was a better business/financial decision for him and his family. I don't think any of us can sit here and say if we had the same situation presented to us that we wouldn't have seriously considered doing the same thing...

At his age, I would have taken the money. 4 Million free smackaroos!!

I don't know. It's not like he's not fulfilling his contract. To me, that'd be quitting.

I've got a job interview next week and if offered the position I plan to take it and discontinue my current employment. Since I'm not contractually bound (and it is a good business decision) I suppose I don't have to quit my current job to leave.

His contract says he doesn't have to fulfill the rest of his contract. That's what an option is. The option to leave is, "if there's an ownership change, none of the rest of this matters if you don't want it to."

You love to argue for the sake of arguing i think.

How exactly would you classify Marrone's departure from Buffalo? Its a resignation. Marrone resigned as HC of the Bills. Resign = QUIT.

Yeah he fulfilled an option in his contract, an option to quit but still get paid. He didnt HAVE to quit. He couldve just stayed on as well. It required a decision by Marrone. And that decision was to resign. Theres no other way to classify this despite your attempts at semantics.

You love to argue for the sake of arguing i think.

How exactly would you classify Marrone's departure from Buffalo? Its a resignation. Marrone resigned as HC of the Bills. Resign = QUIT.

Yeah he fulfilled an option in his contract, an option to quit but still get paid. He didnt HAVE to quit. He couldve just stayed on as well. It required a decision by Marrone. And that decision was to resign. Theres no other way to classify this despite your attempts at semantics.

I'm actually arguing to not give ground to the "Marrone abandoned Buffalo like a jerk" crowd. But fine, he quit.

I've got a job interview next week and if offered the position I plan to take it and discontinue my current employment. Since I'm not contractually bound (and it is a good business decision) I suppose I don't have to quit my current job to leave.

See above.

Who here would give away $4 million without receiving something of value in exchange for it such as a promotion (increased authority) or security (contract extension)? What players are on the roster who would forego free agency and a big pay day for the sake of the team?

Marrone didn't quit on anyone or anything, he made a career decision that frankly, was a no brainer. Grow up folks, NFL franchises are not "teams" and they are not "family", they are businesses. Big, big businesses. Love Marrone or hate him, worship him or despise him, rejoice at his departure or go into mourning as you see fit but don't pretend that he did anything different than you would have done in the same position. By leaving, he will have more money and a new job with additional security and every one of us would do the same.

So basically, people with a functional grasp of the English language need to grow up. Got it, dude.

I'm actually arguing to not give ground to the "Marrone abandoned Buffalo like a jerk" crowd. But fine, he quit.

See above.

I think the jerk argument is mostly based on how he notified players and how he hasnt said a word to Bills fans yet. Not on the exercising of his option alone.

See above.

I understand, and I think there's a much stronger argument for that point. I'm not currently inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on that front given the totality of the circumstances, but then there's also a lot we don't know.

I don't really understand the rush to come to Marrone's defense in this situation. Was his move a smart business decision? Seems to make sense to me to take some free money and go make additional money coaching elsewhere. I think everyone understands why he did what he did. Sure, if I was in a position to get a free $4 million, can't say i wouldn't do the same.

The difference is, I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills. And the team he ditched was the Buffalo Bills. I feel the same way a lot of people do about this: sorry to lose the continuity at head coach, but happy to see his horrible offensive coaching ability go.

I don't really view it as Bills fans jobs to pat Doug Marone on the back on his way out the door. Good decision for his family? Good decision for the Jets or whatever team he goes to coach? Great. Let them be the ones to coddle St. Doug and tell him what a smart move he made. As a Bills fan, I hope any time he returns to play in our building it is an absolute nightmare for him. I hope he is booed all game, while his team is simultaneously dismantled by the Bills. I hope the entire ingame and postgame coverage is all focused on him, and all the questions he has to answer after the loss are all about him.

I hope that's what Doug Marrone bought with that $4 million in WNY. That will be some great entertainment!